British Speedway Forum

Article written by the guy who has been pushing his new book for a few weeks.

Pretty bland and superficial look at the sport, which in the most part could have been written by a blindfolded schoolchild at any point in the last twenty five years.

Edited by Grand Central

Well crafted, a nice comfortable read. The political link was one I hadn't considered before. Thank you for the link.

• Like 2

An excellent article for the audience it is aimed at.

I will be interested to see the book when it emerges.

• Like 2

A worthwhile article for the 'Spectator' and worth the read.

Maybe it will encourage a few folk who have never heard of Speedway to visit a Track out of curiosity and maybe get hooked as I did all those years ago.

I, for one, certainly hope so.

Thanks for the Link Philip.

• Like 2

Well written article I thought. 

• Like 1

Interesting article!

• Like 1

Well written and not aimed at the anoraks of the sport.  It is for those who probably know nothing about speedway and unlikely to have ever heard of the riders or tracks mentioned. From an outsiders perspective, it might encourage a few to take a look on YouTube to see what it is all about and the exposure cannot do any harm. Given where the sport is any publicity outside the normal channels has to be a good thing.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2021 at 9:16 AM, proud panther said:

Saddlebow road ? He obviously didn't do much research. 

What do you mean? The AFA is still in Saddlebow Road ....

For me, it's great to even have our sport mentioned in/on The Spectator :D

Edited by Trees
  • Like 3

Personally, I thought it was a very well written article with numerous very salient points. It was neither patronising nor scornful, and I enjoyed reading an "outsider's" view of our sport.

• Like 4

"promoters often looked after their own interests rather than  the sport"   Substitute always for often and there you have it.

12 hours ago, wealdstone said:

"promoters often looked after their own interests rather than  the sport"   Substitute always for often and there you have it.

Yes just think of all the promoters/stadium owners over the years who have sold their clubs for building projects, the fans never meant much to them .....

The foundations for the future of the sport should've been laid down in the early days when the cash was flowing big time, it wasn't .......

• Like 2

Interesting article. It was actually sent to me by a long time friend who had previously no interest in speedway however knew that I was a fan. he found it really interesting and is now talking to me about attending a meeting when we can....

• Like 2