British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest compost

Exeter 1965

Guest compost

Hi

Can anyone help please ?

Looking at track record times I've got a time for Exeter set on the 2nd July 1962 at 72.4 seconds - which isn't beaten until ...

The Speedway Researcher 1965 file shows a new Exeter record set on 3rd May 1965 at 75 seconds (actually the file says that this equals the record which I think was set on the 27th April).

So, why was the 1962 record removed and when ?

Any ideas ?

Was the 'new' record initially set on the 27th April ?

Thanks

PS. Additional query - the researcher 1965  file has Reg Luckhurst equalling the TR (at 73.2) on the 10th May. However, there is no earlier mention of the TR being set at 73.2, so was this set during the seond half on the 3rd May or is the 'equals' bit just a typo ? Thanks once again

Edited by compost
Typo and expnded query

The track record at Exeter was 72.0 set by Goog Hoskin on 7th September 1953, equalled by Barry Briggs on 18th April 1958. 

The Provincial League track record throughout 1962, as recorded in meeting programmes, was 73.4 by Jack Scott on 19th June 1961.  Len Silver's time in heat 4 on 2nd July 1962 was 77.4, not 72.4 as shown on the Speedway Researcher website (72.4 would have been 5 seconds faster than the next best time in that meeting!)  Ross Gilbertson set a new PL record of 73.0 on 9th September 1963.

In 1965 Exeter decided that a new British League record would be established and the first one shown in the programme was 75.2 by Jack Biggs on 12th April 1965. This was beaten by Goog Allan with 75.0 on 27th April 1965, with this time equalled by Jimmy Squibb on 3rd May.  However, Colin Gooddy recorded 74.8 then 74.2 in the same meeting on 3rd May 1965.  Reg Luckhurst reduced this to 73.2 on 10th May 1965 (he did not equal a previous record). Trevor Hedge lowered the BL record further on 14th June 1965 to 72.8, which also bettered Gilbertson's PL record time.  An incredible ride by Igor Plechanov on 12th July 1965 set an all time record of 71.4.

Edited by BL65
  • Like 2

Was interested to see Goog Allan on that list in 1965-he was usually a second string ,  would have been riding for Newcastle then and I guess was having an unusually successful night(-no disrespect to Goog intended).

7 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Was interested to see Goog Allan on that list in 1965-he was usually a second string ,  would have been riding for Newcastle then and I guess was having an unusually successful night(-no disrespect to Goog intended).

Sadly, the meeting turned sour for Goog.  After setting the record time in his first ride, he fell and was excluded from his second ride, then being unable to continue in the match.

I should point out that as Exeter were replacing previous records with a British League record the first record holder of 1965 would have been the winner of heat 1 in the opening meeting, being Colin Gooddy with 75.8. Biggs lowered this time two heats later.

Edited by BL65

BL65-your knowledge  of the greatest year (and other years too) is amazing-I always learn something new from you. BTW is Goog Allan still alive-saw him ride quite a few times?

Guest compost
1 hour ago, BOBBATH said:

BL65-your knowledge  of the greatest year (and other years too) is amazing-I always learn something new from you. BTW is Goog Allan still alive-saw him ride quite a few times?

Seconded, really do appreciate all your help BL.

Thanks

2 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Good Allan died in 1996.

6 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Thanks Bob (and Compost), glad to be able to help.

Googs!!-there was Goog Hoskin and then Goog Allan-anybody know where Goog came from-was it an Aussie nickname-never heard of it outside Speedway (or was there an Aussie Prime Minister called Goog Whitlam OK OK just kidding - I know it was Gough Whitlam but some people thought he was a bit of a Goog)!! seriously anyone know of the origin of Goog??

5 hours ago, BOBBATH said:

Googs!!-there was Goog Hoskin and then Goog Allan-anybody know where Goog came from-was it an Aussie nickname-never heard of it outside Speedway (or was there an Aussie Prime Minister called Goog Whitlam OK OK just kidding - I know it was Gough Whitlam but some people thought he was a bit of a Goog)!! seriously anyone know of the origin of Goog??

Hubert Hoskin and Gordon Allan were both nicknamed Goog.  Apparently 'down under' goog is an egg.

Regarding the sequence of records at Exeter in 1965, in the meeting where Plechanov set a new record his team partner Yuri Chekranov had set a fastest  time of the season of 72.2 in the first heat.  Plechanov and Chekranov were a formidable pairing in the mid-1960s, I saw them amaze the Wolverhampton crowd in the third England-'Russia' test in 1966 by storming to a 5-1 over Nigel Boocock and Brian Brett in heat 1 in a fast time.  The pair rode side by side for much of the race and went on to score 22 paid 26 between them in their six races together (Plechanov 13+2, Chekranov 9+2).  It was a fine performance taking into account the difficulty the tight bends caused many first time visitors to Monmore Green.  Nigel Boocock always performed exceptionally well at Wolverhampton and Brett had won the Champion of Champions Trophy there at the end of 1965 with an impeccable 15 point maximum, one point ahead of Ivan Mauger.