British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Jon Cook RIP

Shocked like everyone else especially so young, a passionate characterful promoter who always added to a meeting especially in the Elite League days. Condolences to his family and friends. 

RIP Jon

Shocking news, condolences to all family and friends. 

Awful news. 55 is way too young. What was the cause, anyone know? 

Always a passionate person and great rival against us Pirates. Will be very sadly missed. RIP.

A sad loss to Speedway, I always found him well worth listening to when he came on the mic whenever Eastbourne or Arena were in town and he always told it as he saw it even if he didn't always get it right (mano a mano). Always had the best interests of his clubs at heart and probably a shame he never took the top job

• Like 1

Like others I am both saddened and shocked. Together with Stuart Douglas they brought Lakeside back from the brink of closure for 12 years. Not everybody’s cup of tea and his outspokenness upset some but he undoubtedly had the sport at heart and I will always remember my years at Lakeside with great affection. Behind the scenes he was very much a riders man, and as team manager he had great rapport with them. Away from meetings, at club social functions he was very funny with a very dry wit. A great loss. Condolences to his family.

• Like 2

Such a shock and very sad for all concerned. Jon would often drop into Poole Stadium on matchdays if he was going to or from the West Country for his surfing. We always had a chat having worked with him on one of the indoor meetings. A good friend to Matt Ford - see his words on Poole website - RIP Jon.

Sad news and condolences to all his family. Thanks for the memories at Lakeside saw some great speedway thanks to him and stuart. RIP Jon

RIP Jon Cook..

Condolences, and best wishes to all his family and friends..

Oh my God what a shock. So really very sad absolutely no age my thoughts go out to Jon's family and many friends ...gobsmacked.

3 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Awful news. 55 is way too young. What was the cause, anyone know? 

Always a passionate person and great rival against us Pirates. Will be very sadly missed. RIP.

Reports suggest a Surfing incident but haven't seen this official as yet - very sad nice guy. 

Sad news indeed.

RIP

On 5/4/2021 at 5:49 PM, E I Addio said:

Like others I am both saddened and shocked. Together with Stuart Douglas they brought Lakeside back from the brink of closure for 12 years. Not everybody’s cup of tea and his outspokenness upset some but he undoubtedly had the sport at heart and I will always remember my years at Lakeside with great affection. Behind the scenes he was very much a riders man, and as team manager he had great rapport with them. Away from meetings, at club social functions he was very funny with a very dry wit. A great loss. Condolences to his family.

From what i can remember his man management skills with the riders was his greatest asset.He  reminded me of a John Berry outspoken at times but cared greatly about  the sport RIP Jon.

• Thanks 2