British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
edmon

Armadale Devils v Berwick Bullets (Friday 7 May 7.30)

George Rothery looks like one to keep an eye on! A pity he’s not 15 or 16 but that’s double figures on two very different tracks, a great start.

• Like 1

Crazy to think George has never even been offered a team place at NL before. One minor blip on the night when he slid off but other than that was tremendous. Especially when he hunted flint down passed him and pulled away. 

this is what the NL is all about giving guys like George their break in the sport and it’s great to see him taking it.

• Like 4

Is he Scottish?

16 minutes ago, Bagpuss said:

Is he Scottish?

Nope, another one from the Cumbrian pipeline off the last few years

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

George Rothery looks like one to keep an eye on! A pity he’s not 15 or 16 but that’s double figures on two very different tracks, a great start.

Just a late starter to the sport with his birthday being 14/05 /98. He could have been on an educational programme before getting into the sport.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Just a late starter to the sport with his birthday being 14/05 /98. He could have been on an educational programme before getting into the sport.

Regularly does amateur meetings at Scunny, very surprised no one picked him up earlier

25 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Absolutely, am sure there is a perfectly good reason for it but imagine how good he could potentially be if he was a few years younger? Hopefully he can still improve rapidly and have a good career at a higher level. 

• Like 1

think he has a full time job and never ever really had the equipment or finances to do racing great kid 

• Like 1

Good result for the Devils,thought Bullets top end would have been too strong.

Edited by Fromafar

1 hour ago, Bagpuss said:

Absolutely, am sure there is a perfectly good reason for it but imagine how good he could potentially be if he was a few years younger? Hopefully he can still improve rapidly and have a good career at a higher level. 

George has been around for a number of years having started at Northside training track. He has had a history crash, bang, wallop,  but still kept coming up for more. Lately he has started to put it together and now looks an exciting rider when he stays on. Love the hassles and his enthusiasm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

Good result for the Devils,thought Bullets top end would have been too strong.

The two things which swung this for the Devils were the magnificent performance from George Rothery and our 3&4 pairing getting done over 14-4 in their races together... 

I said beforehand to the hubby that we’d get a point... that we did... okay, disappointing not to get more but there you go... 

Another very good show from Leon. Aye, it’s expected of him in this league but if anyone had seen him in his last meeting there, I didn’t think he’d get 13 points. 
Decent showing from Kyle too... when these two get properly dialled in they will be very very hard to beat anywhere! 
But Kieran Douglas deserves major plaudits too.... paid 10 from him which, if I’m right, would be one of if not his best scores in a competitive league..

All in all, a decent point and a good start for us ☺️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandits4eva said:

The two things which swung this for the Devils were the magnificent performance from George Rothery and our 3&4 pairing getting done over 14-4 in their races together... 

I said beforehand to the hubby that we’d get a point... that we did... okay, disappointing not to get more but there you go... 

Another very good show from Leon. Aye, it’s expected of him in this league but if anyone had seen him in his last meeting there, I didn’t think he’d get 13 points. 
Decent showing from Kyle too... when these two get properly dialled in they will be very very hard to beat anywhere! 
But Kieran Douglas deserves major plaudits too.... paid 10 from him which, if I’m right, would be one of if not his best scores in a competitive league..

All in all, a decent point and a good start for us ☺️

For me the results don’t really matter, if the League can produce young talent it will serve its purpose.Personally for me I don’t see any advantage for riders with CL spots apart from more track time.Slick tracks and wear and tear on machinery is all they will benefit from the meetings and there is always a higher risk of injury racing  inexperienced youngsters.They must be earning enough to make it pay or it seems pointless IMO.

• Like 1

There was a Naval exercise of the south east coast of Scotland yesterday, they did put out information that WiFi/Broadband signals may be affected, Possibly that was the cause of buffering etc

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

For me the results don’t really matter, if the League can produce young talent it will serve its purpose.Personally for me I don’t see any advantage for riders with CL spots apart from more track time.Slick tracks and wear and tear on machinery is all they will benefit from the meetings and there is always a higher risk of injury racing  inexperienced youngsters.They must be earning enough to make it pay or it seems pointless IMO.

Could be useful for any rider struggling to pick up points in the Championship, if they are scoring well or winning races in the National League, to keep up their confidence. 

But for me the National League is made for riders like Mason Watson and Keiron Douglas. Really hope these young local lads progress this season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ScunnyDan said:

Regularly does amateur meetings at Scunny, very surprised no one picked him up earlier

Some years ago, I transported a rider to meetings. George Rothery was his main rival in Novice class at Scunthorpe back in 2014! George once smashed Chris' front wheel in an over-enthusiastic overtake, which annoyed Chris' step-brother considerably, but personally I think that it was just racing. I am glad to see that George is progressing so well.

• Like 1