British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

European pairs championship MEP 2021 final Macon Saturday 24th July

16 hours ago, racers and royals said:

Because it always has been for the European senior events  !!!¬( only in recent years has  the SEC had better fields)

So who decides that it's going to be a "mickey mouse" event? With all respect to those that turned out for this meeting they are hardly their nation's strongest line-ups. If GB were serious about winning the event surely Woffinden, Lambert & Bewley would have been selected. Zmarlik, Janowski & A N Otherski for the poles. As it was an FIM(E) (whoever they are) event surely the riders would have been compelled to ride.

Or was it down to the host club promoters to assemble the field? In which case should it have been FIM(E) sanctioned?

Somebody somewhere has decided that this event should have a weakened field, who and why?

Adam Ellis missed the match at Leicester on the 10th of July as he was riding in the semi. Was he compelled to take part by the FIM(E) or did he miss the Leicester match because he'd been booked for this meeting first?

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Adam Ellis missed the match at Leicester on the 10th of July as he was riding in the semi. Was he compelled to take part by the FIM(E) or did he miss the Leicester match because he'd been booked for this meeting first?

This is the problem with British speedway, to represent GB Adam Ellis would have lost money on the 10th of  July. It was good to see GB represented, thank you, to the three riders 

Earlier this season two riders were refused permission to ride in an under 21 qualifying round, because of GB commitments ( promotors worried about league points )

While the this attitude persists the status of GB speedway Internationally will never improve.

But it is the dilemma that faces promoters and fans

From opinion on here it seems some are almost looking for a breakaway, with special low cost bikes and lack of foreign riders. Which would make it even more problematic for riders to then compete in such competitions as they would have to have/jump on another bike for international comps

1 hour ago, iainb said:

So who decides that it's going to be a "mickey mouse" event? With all respect to those that turned out for this meeting they are hardly their nation's strongest line-ups. If GB were serious about winning the event surely Woffinden, Lambert & Bewley would have been selected. Zmarlik, Janowski & A N Otherski for the poles. As it was an FIM(E) (whoever they are) event surely the riders would have been compelled to ride.

Or was it down to the host club promoters to assemble the field? In which case should it have been FIM(E) sanctioned?

Somebody somewhere has decided that this event should have a weakened field, who and why?

because it’s a mickey mouse meaningless meeting, there will be hardly any pay, no recognition for it

10 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But it is the dilemma that faces promoters and fans

From opinion on here it seems some are almost looking for a breakaway, with special low cost bikes and lack of foreign riders. Which would make it even more problematic for riders to then compete in such competitions as they would have to have/jump on another bike for international comps

Just like they do for Longtrack/Grasstrack

17 minutes ago, iainb said:

Just like they do for Longtrack/Grasstrack

Yes, but hardly anyone compete in those.

1 minute ago, iris123 said:

Just like British Speedway :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jonny the spud said:

So you weren’t there, didn’t know anything about the meeting, track, opposition, conditions, refs decisions? In fact you knew nothing at all except what you read on the internet? 

Well they say opinions are like ar$eholes because everyone has one. I think all you did is prove the point. 

as to hitting a nerve ? Don’t flatter yourself mate, any real fan laughs at people who spout off with no knowledge of what they’re talking about. 

yeah, my boy did ride.  He also top scored. Embarrassing…? Nope. I’m proud as hell. 

Well you didnt seem to like my original post did you, as said a rubbish performance from team GB.   Gloss it over all you like. 

Do you now have to attend a meeting to be able to comment on it? Lol! 

I guess thats what happens when you send two riders who aren't even in their country's top five riders though. Assuming all our decent riders were tied up elsewhere?

22 minutes ago, iris123 said:

But that must be a direct result from the 70's and 80's, when British promotors started running Sunday meetings, to stop "their" riders going abroad for bigger money.

The promoters attitude to meetings overseas will never change and leave the GB an isolated backwater. 

GB speedway should be thankful for the riders who will participate to keep the showing the flag

Edited by MARK246
Spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, iainb said:

I think you will just have to accept it`s 2nd division. Extraleague boys wouldn`t get out of bed for the pay rates on offer !!. As i said before even the SEC was 2nd rate before Onesport got involved and got it on TV. Also one should remember that all FIM Europe events were not recognised by the BSPA until a few years ago- their reasoning was that they were comp`s unnecessary in a crowded calendar and therefore no facility was granted for riders missing meetings over here to ride in UEM events. It was only pressure from the ACU/SCB that we should as a nation take part that forced the BSPA to change their policy.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MARK246 said:

This is the problem with British speedway, to represent GB Adam Ellis would have lost money on the 10th of  July. It was good to see GB represented, thank you, to the three riders 

Earlier this season two riders were refused permission to ride in an under 21 qualifying round, because of GB commitments ( promotors worried about league points )

While the this attitude persists the status of GB speedway Internationally will never improve.

From what I remember it was down to covid restrictions & self isolating on their return if they did go.

19 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

From what I remember it was down to covid restrictions & self isolating on their return if they did go.

The quote from the official BSPL statement on the under 21 WC qualification was.

"It goes without saying that with their British commitments it absolutely was not possible for Tom and Drew to be able to do this. "

How you wish to interpret that statement is up to you. I read it as due to the missed league meetings the promoters would not release the riders.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IronScorpion said:

Yes exactly- a facility would have been granted for their absence.

1 minute ago, MARK246 said:

The quote from the official BSPL statement on the under 21 WC qualification was.

"It goes without saying that with their British commitments it absolutely was not possible for Tom and Drew to be able to do this. "

How you wish to interpret that statement is up to you. I read it as due to the missed league meetings the promoters would not release the riders.

No - completely the opposite- all about Covid and quarantining 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pinny said:

Well you didnt seem to like my original post did you, as said a rubbish performance from team GB.   Gloss it over all you like. 

Do you now have to attend a meeting to be able to comment on it? Lol! 

I guess thats what happens when you send two riders who aren't even in their country's top five riders though. Assuming all our decent riders were tied up elsewhere?

Do you have to attend a meeting to have an opinion? 

Certainly not, but if someone who knows  absolutely nothing about what went on, the conditions,track,opposition or ref decisions  and just base their insulting opinion on the final result, then they  just come across as a bit of an internet dïckheäd. 

still… if the cap fits. 

• Like 1