British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gunner85

BELLE VUE COLTS v NEWCASTLE 21.05

Really looking forward to the Colts first home match.

Watching these youngsters progress is a passion for me. goes back to the days of the 60s when we had 13 heats in a league match and 10 races in the second half... 4 with the seniors and 6 which had juniors and novices.

Great to see 2 brothers in the team... Belle Vue have had quite a lot of brothers riding for us.

Totally agree. Watching young riders progress is most interesting.

I remember seeing Peter Collins at a training school at Hyde road before he rode for Belle Vue.... He stood out a mile

Also 23 races at hyde road with an interval and you were out before 9 pm with a 7 pm start.

Some promoters can take 2 hours giving you  15 races nowadays

• Like 1

.... and a great night on the fun fair :D and in the bier Keller.  :drink:

Got my ticket this morning.... at last something to look forward to after 15 months of covid

Congratulations to Ben Woodhull on being appointed the Colts' captain for the 2021 season.

He may never be World Champion, but certainly gives his all in every race and shows great enthusiasm. Just what a captain should be like.

Good Luck to all the Colts for the the season ahead, and looking forward to seeing all the National League teams visit the NSS.

3 hours ago, BarracudaAce said:

Congratulations to Ben Woodhull on being appointed the Colts' captain for the 2021 season.

He may never be World Champion, but certainly gives his all in every race and shows great enthusiasm. Just what a captain should be like.

Good Luck to all the Colts for the the season ahead, and looking forward to seeing all the National League teams visit the NSS.

Boston Speedway...... mushy peas with mint sauce !!!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, BarracudaAce said:

I do like Woodhull but it seems a bizarre choice. Colts have Compton as their elder statesman and JPB & Coles who can hold their own easily. I’d have thought Woodhull would be best concentrating on his own improvements rather than giving him the responsibility of sorting out his senior riders. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gunner85 said:

Boston Speedway...... mushy peas with mint sauce !!!

Indeed!! They certainly seemed very popular with visiting supporters coming to New Hammond Beck Road (and home supporters too of course!!) 

6 hours ago, Islander15 said:

I do like Woodhull but it seems a bizarre choice. Colts have Compton as their elder statesman and JPB & Coles who can hold their own easily. I’d have thought Woodhull would be best concentrating on his own improvements rather than giving him the responsibility of sorting out his senior riders. 

That certainly is a good point, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a bizarre choice. Probably a bit unexpected true, but maybe it is something Ben will relish - especially as he is the longest-serving Colt in the team this year. He talks here about his desire to build team spirit. If his form begins to suffer, however, due to the extra responsibility I'm  Steve & Graham will take action. Just hope the weather doesn't intervene tomorrow night - not looking too good though right now on the forecast.

BELLE VUE have handed their NDL captaincy to Ben Woodhull ahead of their opening home fixture on Friday, May 21 against National League newcomers, the Newcastle ‘BTS’ Gems.

The visitors announced their challenge for league glory in magnificent style at Armadale only one week ago when they earned 43-46 bragging rights over the Devils.

The Cool Running Colts class of 2021 have changed quite a bit in the period between now and the start of the UK national lockdown back in March last year.

But Woodhull believes the changes have given his side a good balance of experience and new talent that will prove crucial in their first few meetings.

On his new role as captain, he said: “We’ve always said there are seven captains in this team, but to be officially named as skipper this year is a real honour for me.

“This team always meant a lot to me before but now I feel even more responsible for the boys. I want to build a great team spirit this year but we’re already starting to gel quite well.

“There’s a lot of potential. I think that Jack [Parkinson-Blackburn] will really come out of his shell and step up as the No.1, and the McGurk brothers have a lot of talent we’ve not seen yet.

“There’s a good mix of experience in there as well which will no doubt be vital to the younger lads as we settle into the season, but I think collectively we can do very well. 

“Obviously Newcastle have the advantage of having had a meeting already and having won that meeting I’m sure they’ll feel confident about their chances in Manchester

“But the National Speedway Stadium is somewhere that I certainly feel comfortable, and a lot of the other boys do, and even with the changes we’ve gone through I think we can still beat anyone here.

“Everyone is so excited for this match. We will take it one race at a time and as long as we stay focused on our game plan and have fun, I believe we can emulate the Aces’ success against Sheffield.”

• Like 1

Didn’t make Sheffield today due to the weather , have tickets for me and my dad tomorrow to see the Colts but looking at the weather forecast looks unlikely I think ....

Yeah think its very unlikely, the NSS copes very well with rain but it rained all day non stop yesterday and looks like it will today too.

Sensible decision considering Thursday’s weather and today’s forecast.

Look forward to next Friday and much improved weather