British Speedway Forum
DC2

Scottish independence?

Let them have a referendum, but let the whole of the UK vote in it. That way we vote to get rid of them rather than them voting to leave. Then everybody's happy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Which countries are those, with a population of about 5 million?

Denmark must be the most successful? Not sure what their industry is other than bacon.

Luxembourg? 

Denmark, Finland, Norway, Slovakia and Ireland are the European countries with populations most similar to Scotland.

Denmark's economy is primarily service based. I think about 70% of Danish GDP comes from services.

Farming and fishing made up 1.44% of their GDP in 2019, so the bacon apparently isn't that important :D

Edited by HenryW
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, DC2 said:

Denmark must be the most successful? Not sure what their industry is other than bacon.

Luxembourg? 

They do produce some good Gating Tarts.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, iris123 said:

All the people I know in Scotland and even some that don’t live there any more want independence. 
Does that mean anything ? Not really apart from saying my sphere of friends are as insular as Phil’s who think Khan is a disaster....

If the people of Scotland want it and vote for it then that is their choice 

38 minutes ago, Wolfsbane said:

Pity someone wasn't running a book on who would be where on this, I could have made a killing.

So predictable:rofl:

Well all I said was if that is what he people of Scotland kf the result isn’t your way then it must be fixed 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

All the people I know in Scotland and even some that don’t live there any more want independence. 
Does that mean anything ? Not really apart from saying my sphere of friends are as insular as Phil’s who think Khan is a disaster....

If the people of Scotland want it and vote for it then that is their choice 

All ? I think you forget our good friend Paulco...........:D

Edited by Phlipphlopp
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DC2 said:

Luxembourg? 

Scotland's population is 5.5 million. Independent countries with populations of 6 million and less, some significantly less, with a higher GDP than Scotland are...

Singapore
Denmark - EU net contributor
Finland - EU net contributor
Norway
Ireland - EU net contributor
New Zealand
Kuwait
Qatar
Slovenia - about even EU-wise
Bahrain
Estonia
Cyprus - about even EU-wise
Luxembourg - EU net contributor
Malta - about even EU-wise
Brunei
Iceland
Andorra
Monaco
Liechtenstein
San Marino
Vatican City

Okay, so some of these are oil rich countries and others are micro states with special unique industries like offshoring and banking, but more than a few have nothing more special than Scotland.

I don't actually think it makes much economic sense for Scotland to leave the UK as it is its biggest trading partner by a long way, and they'd have to plug a 15 billion hole in public expenditures (i.e. 9% of its economy). I also don't think the SNP is actually very competent at running Scotland and quite sinister in its behaviour at times, and only gets away with it because the UK media is not much interested in what goes on there. 

But most of Scotland's other trading partners are in the Single Market which it's now been taken outside of against its will, so perhaps they feel this a price worth paying to be free of a government they never voted for. The evidence of the likes of Denmark, Finland, Iceland, New Zealand and more recently Ireland would suggest that a country of 5-6 million is perfectly viable. 

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 2

Funny how short a once in a lifetime vote is!

Or is a lifespan really that short north of the border? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

All ? I think you forget our good friend Paulco...........:D

I am talking real life friends, not internet fwends. That is why you don’t count when I talk about friends you plank :D

14 minutes ago, packerman said:

Funny how short a once in a lifetime vote is!

Or is a lifespan really that short north of the border? 

For a lot of people it would be. Lots have died and lots have come of voting age, since the last one....

With any referendum I think that there needs to be a clear majority before any changes are made (and I include Brexit in that as well). Anything less than a two thirds majority is too close too me.

When it's nearly 50 / 50, people can vote on a whim rather than their true convictions.

• Like 2

I am talking real life friends, not internet fwends. That is why you don’t count when I talk about friends you plank :D

You must be in the minority on here then , many on here have enjoyed speedway on the lash with him , plus he also supports a decent team rather than the IRA supporting loons that you seem to love so much :D:drink:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

You must be in the minority on here then , many on here have enjoyed speedway on the lash with him , plus he also supports a decent team rather than the IRA supporting loons that you seem to love so much :D:drink:

You don’t disprove my point at all

I can well imagine if I met him and had a drink with him he is a great guy. But until the day I do meet him he is an internet friend and not someone I count as one of my mates. Simple

20 minutes ago, Phlipphlopp said:

Im guessing he follows the UDA / UVF / UFF supporting loons then?

Posted (edited)

The I think one of the the main criteria if there is to be a 2nd referendum is that there has to be a at least 60% majority clause.

The way the SNP think  we will be having a referendum every year till they get the 50%+1 vote.

Edited by Fromafar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

You don’t disprove my point at all

I can well imagine if I met him and had a drink with him he is a great guy. But until the day I do meet him he is an internet friend and not someone I count as one of my mates. Simple

Don't think Paulco would want you as any kind of friend.

• Haha 2