British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
OldHawk

Thank You NHS Trophy at Wolves

21 minutes ago, tellboy said:

Don't think speedway had much of a choice really.Think they would have been much happier if most customers could still have been paying at the gate on the day.

easier to get the right numbers ;):D

• Like 2

Shame to see the meeting called off after 2 heats due to track issues.

seems the rain wins the day again. Typical Monday weather conditions. 

Fair play to CVS for confirming full refunds for everyone but whilst respecting the hard work of the promotion and track staff… what a shambles. 

Could sense something wasn’t right with track work going on past half past. I’m no track expert, but we knew the weather forecast was dodgy so why was the track so heavy?!

Could barely hear the PA so unsure of the reasons but to have only 3 riders in Heat 1 isn’t a great advert for £19 a ticket …. Was there really nobody from the Championship or National League who fancied a go?!

Big opportunity lost with a decent crowd, how many will be back next week? 

I work over in Birmingham and I was convinced when I finished at 5 that I would find out the meeting was going to off, so was astonished when I arrived at Monmore to find brilliant sunshine.

Nice to catch up with people I hadn't seen in almost 18 months, but such a shame that they couldn't get through it.  In truth the track looked horrendous when I got there, and even after a hour of work it looked no better.

Gutted for CVS, who sounded absolutely crestfallen when he made the announcement, but with the benefit of hindsight, calling it off before would have been the sensible option.

Not surprised this one was called off. I was on a crazy long drive from North Cumbria to Heathrow and back; nipped in to see my parents in Willenhall at 4pm, when the heavens opened like a monsoon. I can't imagine Monmore fared any paper. As I wasn't there, my only surprise is that they tried to run the meeting!

Soon as I walked in at 6.30 you could see it was rough.

They had a good go at sorting it but as soon as heat 1 started you knew it wasn't going to work.

A league match would have been off before the start.

I've seen plenty of waterlogged tracks in my time, somehow I don't think the rain that had fallen earlier was the only facor here. The surface was super tacky, akin to a clay / car track...not your usual slimy / slick water damaged track.

Believe its new shale that has been put down this season which was churned up by the rain.  I think they gambled that it would be OK, but it backfired badly. 

Given the restrictions on crowd levels,  I would say the promoters are anxious about the June 21st opening being pushed back.  There's a real risk of clubs not completing the season if Johnson moves the goalposts again.  Last night was the last thing Wolves needed

1 hour ago, MattB said:

Believe its new shale that has been put down this season which was churned up by the rain.  I think they gambled that it would be OK, but it backfired badly. 

Given the restrictions on crowd levels,  I would say the promoters are anxious about the June 21st opening being pushed back.  There's a real risk of clubs not completing the season if Johnson moves the goalposts again.  Last night was the last thing Wolves needed

I don’t think Boris wants to move June 21st goal posts, but what he doesn’t want is the Indian variant, and other factors, running through the country.  I reckon as the country opens up following May 17th reports from all quarters of England will be centred to the government for analysis, including reports from speedway stadiums. Factors going forward will include, IMO, what work and attitude have stadium management displayed, PLUS, as important, the attitude and compliance of spectators.  It’s quiet clear that some spectators are not too concerned over going along with regulations and some will bend the rules, or more, at every opportunity.  Sadly, some ardent speedway fans will refrain from attending a live meeting because they are concerned over their health, that they are not fully convinced attending live meeting would be a happy event for them.  So if Boris does hold back on the June 21st relaxing, it will be motivated not only on the Indian variant, but also by what is happening in society “today”, including speedway meetings.  So, if there is a delay of June 21 relaxing (and I hope there is’nt a delay), remember, what is happening in the country today will have had an effect.

• Like 1

What were the rules at Wolves, did you have to wear masks for the whole of the meeting?

7 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

I don’t think Boris wants to move June 21st goal posts, but what he doesn’t want is the Indian variant, and other factors, running through the country.  I reckon as the country opens up following May 17th reports from all quarters of England will be centred to the government for analysis, including reports from speedway stadiums. Factors going forward will include, IMO, what work and attitude have stadium management displayed, PLUS, as important, the attitude and compliance of spectators.  It’s quiet clear that some spectators are not too concerned over going along with regulations and some will bend the rules, or more, at every opportunity.  Sadly, some ardent speedway fans will refrain from attending a live meeting because they are concerned over their health, that they are not fully convinced attending live meeting would be a happy event for them.  So if Boris does hold back on the June 21st relaxing, it will be motivated not only on the Indian variant, but also by what is happening in society “today”, including speedway meetings.  So, if there is a delay of June 21 relaxing (and I hope there is’nt a delay), remember, what is happening in the country today will have had an effect.

And by the middle of June the Govt will be able to see the impact the May 17th restriction easing has had on the Covid infection rate...

If it has gone up then it would be unlikely to see June 21 going back to 'normal'...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1