British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Plymouth v Poole 22/6/21 K.O. Cup 7pm

New re-arranged date.

Coming down for this one. First time the Mighty Poole Pirates have ever ridden here? Think we might have in the inter league thingy years ago. Remember it being rained off. Must have been rerun but I didn’t make it. Never been to this track though driven past it a couple of times.

Our first meeting of the season so the team will be a bit rusty. Not bothered by the score just glad to finally see some racing action. Heard it’s a tiny track. Should be interesting.

Just had a look at the Plymouth team. Dad’s army! Crump and Bjarne! Now I am really looking forward to a great nights entertainment. Place should be heaving!

Note. You have to buy your ticket online in advance. Home straight is already sold out.

https://www.trybooking.com/uk/events/landing?eid=17778&

Edited by Steve Shovlar

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Coming down for this one. First time the Mighty Poole Pirates have ever ridden here? Think we might have in the inter league thingy years ago. Remember it being rained off. Must have been rerun but I didn’t make it. Never been to this track though driven past it a couple of times.

Our first meeting of the season so the team will be a bit rusty. Not bothered by the score just glad to finally see some racing action. Heard it’s a tiny track. Should be interesting.

Just had a look at the Plymouth team. Dad’s army! Crump and Bjarne! Now I am really looking forward to a great nights entertainment. Place should be heaving!

Note. You have to buy your ticket online in advance. Home straight is already sold out.

That's an understatement! Makes Eastbourne look huge :D

I have been  to Plymouth once when Bournemouth Buccs were there so quite a while ago prob 2009/2010 ish. Don't you have to park somewhere and then walk down a country path to get to the stadium? But might have changed in the last 11/12 years! I hope they have upgraded on the portoloo's now though.

Dismiss the Gladiators at your peril.

The promoter Mark Phillips and his helpers have worked tirelessly to improve the track and grounds and have made a splendid job of it.

There two fixtures in 2020 under Covid restrictions were faultless.

Getting a late call up to the Championship hasn’t helped putting a team together but to tempt Crump and Pedersen is quite a coup - albeit probably costly. The rest may take time to settle but their reserves are good and the smallest track in the country can be a good leveller so an exciting meeting is in prospect which could go either way.

It is now possible to park within the stadium confines for £2 or you can use the adjacent park and ride parking for free and enjoy ‘the walk down the country path’ to the track which is about 300 yards.

• Like 2

Can’t believe how dead this thread is, with the meeting coming up this Tuesday. No interest at all from anyone?

5 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Can’t believe how dead this thread is, with the meeting coming up this Tuesday. No interest at all from anyone?

I’ll be there Steve. In my seat on the home straight. Looking forward to your match report afterwards  I’ll provide the balanced one later ....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Should Henry Atkins be forced out of the meeting as a result of his shoulder injury, may I put forward the name of Richard Andrews who I believe to be on the Rising Stars list as a 2* rider. That will make a lot of locals very happy.

28 minutes ago, Dickie Head said:

Should Henry Atkins be forced out of the meeting as a result of his shoulder injury, may I put forward the name of Richard Andrews who I believe to be on the Rising Stars list as a 2* rider. That will make a lot of locals very happy.

Alot better options available imo.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:16 PM, Steve Shovlar said:

Don’t think Plymouth were riding when the inter league cup was ridden in 2003.

I think you are possibly getting muddled up with the inter league cup match at St Austell in 2003....Which I believe the Pirates won :t:

2 minutes ago, scottyfan said:

Don’t think Plymouth were riding when the inter league cup was ridden in 2003.

I think you are possibly getting muddled up with the inter league cup match at St Austell in 2003....Which I believe the Pirates won :t:

No I am not getting muddled. I went to the St Austell v Poole meeting in 2003, which we won.  Harris was riding for them and I think we had Boycey and Zoro.  Like going to the moon.

I think it was a Plymouth v Bucks meeting which was rained off. I didn’t make the rerun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Shovlar said:

No I am not getting muddled. I went to the St Austell v Poole meeting in 2003, which we won.  Harris was riding for them and I think we had Boycey and Zoro.  Like going to the moon.

I think it was a Plymouth v Bucks meeting which was rained off. I didn’t make the rerun.

I was there as well on holiday, as you say like going to the moon, quite an odd experience but a good meeting, seem to remember they were Trelawny by then. Seem to remember Zagar was riding for Trelawny along with Harris and maybe Bjarne and Davy Watt for Poole also. Makes you realise again how the standard has changed/dropped in this country since then.

Edited by gazzac

1 hour ago, ray c said:

2003 to early for the bucks i think

2003 Trelawney v Poole Inter League Cup. We won 40-51 I believe. Plymouth v Buccs was the meeting I was going to but rained off.

Trelawny was a superb little track. Went there around 2001 for a meeting against Reading, Castagna and Mullett were still riding from memory and there's was some terrific racing that night. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Hello Steve hows you? Glad to see you're still around winding up the masses:lol: Been away from the sport for a few years but getting some enthusiasm back for it now so hopefully I'll be able to get down to Wimborne rd for a few meetings.

Have to say I was surprised to see names like Bjarne and Crump riding in the championship, Bjarne was always a good short track rider, should be quite a signing for Plymouth

17 hours ago, Dickie Head said:

On the Scunthorpe v Plymouth thread that Leon Flint is pencilled in for Plymouth's next meeting.