British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hunters

EASTBOURNE V NEWCASTLE 22nd May

Been looking forward to this for weeks and I can't remember the last time Eastbourne was rained off so gutted is an understatement.  Still we have Eurovision on tele tonight to look forward to (I don't think, sorry I'm not a fan of that)

Think in seasons gone by they'd have made every effort to get it on even with the rain we've had, but being the first of their online ticket meetings couldn't afford for it to go wrong under any circumstances, especially only completing a few heats, so probably a good decision, just hope after all this it doesn't turn out to be a total summer wash out.

Judging by past visits the Eagles dont enjoy Arlington when its wet, and the seagulls and gems would struggle on a wet heavy track ... so sensible decision IMHO

This May weather is doing my head in .... cold wet and windy. Was looking forward to at least seeing some speedway action live ....... not sure I will be buying any advance tickets wit he current gloomy forecast which doesn't look like improving anytime soon.  :(

Arlington hit by cloudburst. Track flooded  - pic on Eastbourne website.

It's sheeting it down where I live.

I could not believe it was cancelled we had a very light shower at 7.00am   Sunshine at 11.00 then an even lighter shower at 12.00 then a nice Sunny afternoon and no further rain since.

Particularly disappointing as I had 4 people travel from Waterlooville for the match.   

AND I LIVE THREE MILES AS THE CROW FLIES FROM THE TRACK.

It's bizarre!

31 minutes ago, Hunters said:

I could not believe it was cancelled we had a very light shower at 7.00am   Sunshine at 11.00 then an even lighter shower at 12.00 then a nice Sunny afternoon and no further rain since.

Particularly disappointing as I had 4 people travel from Waterlooville for the match.   

It's bizarre!

Pics here:

https://www.eastbourne-speedway.com/eagles-v-diamonds-off-latest-update/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunters said:

It's bizarre!

The photos on the club website show what it was like at Arlington Stadium which, of course, is where it counts.

When the match was called off, where I live north of the stadium, it was dry and had been since 7.30am. After lunch, I went for a longish walk and got soaked by a downpour, dried out and then soaked again before I reached home. 

That's the nature of showers, I am afraid.

Today is just the same. I have driven from one side of town to the other. I set off in sunshine and when my 10mins journey was done, it was pouring down.

19 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Bright and sunny here in Herne Bay

The track is not in Herne Bay though! :wink: :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, IronScorpion said:

The track is not in Herne Bay though! :wink: :rolleyes:

In fairness to Old Bob, his comment could have been a reply to my post. I had made a similar comment on one his earlier in the week on a Kent thread.

A bit of deep irony going on, maybe.

6 hours ago, Hunters said:

It's bizarre!

So I hope after seeing the photos and from what Ian said, you will accept that living 3 miles away and making judgements on meetings being on is not a good opportunity to comment. Being at the track, and seeing it is usually the best position to be in. I say that as a former Newcastle Promoter, and conflicting stories about whether it is on or isn't on is unsettling for many fans and their arrangements

Luckily the meeting was called off fairly early, but the Newcastle riders had nearly made it and had to turn around after going over the Dartford Bridge.  From their photos to me , it would seem like it was raining quite heavy there.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tsunami said:

So I hope after seeing the photos and from what Ian said, you will accept that living 3 miles away and making judgements on meetings being on is not a good opportunity to comment. Being at the track, and seeing it is usually the best position to be in. I say that as a former Newcastle Promoter, and conflicting stories about whether it is on or isn't on is unsettling for many fans and their arrangements

Luckily the meeting was called off fairly early, but the Newcastle riders had nearly made it and had to turn around after going over the Dartford Bridge.  From their photos to me , it would seem like it was raining quite heavy there.

You are taking my first words out of context I had seen the photos and could not believe the weather could be so different in a short distance.   It was an expression not a judgement.

Happy this morning – just checked by emails and refund confirmation from Eastbourne Speedway for the postponed match against Newcastle had dropped in quite a while before.

Thank you Eastbourne for being so prompt.

To be honest, I didn't expect any issues because this is how Eastbourne Speedway looks after fans.

This is just typical of the club's way of doing business and getting on with so quickly stops you sitting wondering what's going on.

Eastbourne certainly put the customer first and means you can buy tickets with confidence.