Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v BIRMINGHAM (May 22nd) 6.30pm - followed by Bullets v Belle Vue Colts

3 minutes ago, screm said:

The integrity horse bolted a long long time ago.

With Mickey Mouse as its jockey..

7 minutes ago, screm said:

If he was there then he was there as a spectator and no more, he was on stand by to replace the injured Kai Huckenbeck, he didn't do that. So to that end Birmingham should've lost their guest facility going with a junior rider at No2.

As he rode in Poland on Friday, there might be a reason that he didn’t go to the Qualifier.So there might be reason.(easy to find one in this sport).Nobody really takes the sport seriously nowadays.If Sat was entertaining that’s all that really matters .IMO.

Edited by Fromafar

2 hours ago, screm said:

If he was there then he was there as a spectator and no more, he was on stand by to replace the injured Kai Huckenbeck, he didn't do that. So to that end Birmingham should've lost their guest facility going with a junior rider at No2.

So why didn't Berwick protest it? Anyway, even if Nichol's score is removed, you would still lose!

31 minutes ago, *JJ said:

So why didn't Berwick protest it? Anyway, even if Nichol's score is removed, you would still lose!

I have no problem in losing, Birmingham thoroughly deserved their win, better team on the night, well done to them. Its the rights and wrongs of getting a guest facility. In terms of a protest, Berwick may get the same opportunity to do the same later in the season so why rock the boat now. 

On 5/23/2021 at 12:44 AM, uk_martin said:

It was a change to the rules made in recent years that allowed for today's situation to crop up.  Up to recently (not sure exactly when) you weren't allowed a "facility" for riders who had never ridden for your team. The Brummies came a cropper under that rule in 2007 when Emiliano Sanchez missed the first meeting and we had to use a 3 point NL reserve in his place.

Now imagine if the Brummies (or even Sheffield last Monday) had to track 3 point NL reserves instead of "proper" guests.

But as has been said elsewhere. The FIM & FIME fixtures have been known for months. And like in many previous years in the past, nobody cares about these when setting up British fixtures. The sport's organisation is a joke.

Remember Berwick being probably the first to suffer the new rules with Andrew Tully (I think). Sure he got injured at the P&P and Newcastle got a facility for him even though he had never raced for them (couldn't complain as everyone knew he would have raced if he hadn't crashed).

Berwick signed a rider and he got injured (before first Berwick match) but he still had to appear at Edinburgh or Berwick wouldn't have had a facility for him.

When the fixtures came out Riss would have been in the Redcar team so there would have been no fixture clashes. Why do all these meetings take place at the weekend and when should Berwick, Leicester and Eastbourne race when these meetings are taking place?

On 5/23/2021 at 1:56 PM, screm said:

Berwick were advised by Birmingham that Grobaur was taking part, or at least on stand by for the SEC meeting the Czech Republic last night, the rider didn't take his place in the meeting nor it seems was on stand by, so should Birmingham have had their guest.

Taken from last nights programme.

" Fellow German Valentin Grobauer had Polish league commitments last night is is also on stand by for the SEC in case former Kings Lynn man Kai Huckenbeck fails to recover from an injury picked up in Denmark last wee "

Huckenbeck didn't race in the meeting but then neither did Grobauer who was supposed to be his replacement, would that not take away Birmingham`s facility for a guest.

Its not the first time rules have been made up against Berwick (remember 3 seasons ago Newcastle used a guest against Berwick on the 29th day of a 28 day facility) and we missed the play-offs by one point. A couple of years ago a Sheffield riders mechanic could run across the track in front of NBJ and we lost by 2 points?

With the talk about Jye's exclusion, a few dodgy starts and facility's granted when they shouldn't be at least it should be a while before we see the referee again at Berwick (has done 2 of last 3 meetings including the under 21's).  

3 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Was it the usual northern ref ... Willie Wishington ? 

No someone called Graeme Hunter

11 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Remember Berwick being probably the first to suffer the new rules with Andrew Tully (I think). Sure he got injured at the P&P and Newcastle got a facility for him even though he had never raced for them (couldn't complain as everyone knew he would have raced if he hadn't crashed).

Berwick signed a rider and he got injured (before first Berwick match) but he still had to appear at Edinburgh or Berwick wouldn't have had a facility for him.

When the fixtures came out Riss would have been in the Redcar team so there would have been no fixture clashes. Why do all these meetings take place at the weekend and when should Berwick, Leicester and Eastbourne race when these meetings are taking place?

Its not the first time rules have been made up against Berwick (remember 3 seasons ago Newcastle used a guest against Berwick on the 29th day of a 28 day facility) and we missed the play-offs by one point. A couple of years ago a Sheffield riders mechanic could run across the track in front of NBJ and we lost by 2 points?

With the talk about Jye's exclusion, a few dodgy starts and facility's granted when they shouldn't be at least it should be a while before we see the referee again at Berwick (has done 2 of last 3 meetings including the under 21's).  

Newcastle should have been using David Wallinger but lo and behold when we turned up they were using Covatti who scored 11pts that night

Edited by Normski

Hang on, lets not get holier than thou, I remember Manu Hauzinger turning up on a Friday lunchtime to ride at Armadale for Berwick with shoulder injuries and two knackered bikes in his van. His Berwick career last only a few yards in his first ride, Berwick were granted a facility.

I don't have a problem with Birmingham getting a facility for a rider racing in a SEC meeting, but that rider should at least be there to take his place, as fellow Brummie Erik Riss was. Grobauer wasn't so I don't see how Birmingham got their facility.

26 minutes ago, Normski said:

Newcastle should have been using David Wallinger but lo and behold when we turned up they were using Covatti who scored 11pts that night

Remember it well.

2 minutes ago, screm said:

Hang on, lets not get holier than thou, I remember Manu Hauzinger turning up on a Friday lunchtime to ride at Armadale for Berwick with shoulder injuries and two knackered bikes in his van. His Berwick career last only a few yards in his first ride, Berwick were granted a facility.

I don't have a problem with Birmingham getting a facility for a rider racing in a SEC meeting, but that rider should at least be there to take his place, as fellow Brummie Erik Riss was. Grobauer wasn't so I don't see how Birmingham got their facility.

I take it you didn't read my post as I mentioned Manu.  Did he not sign for Berwick 2 weeks prior to the Edinburgh meeting but couldn't race on the Saturday so Berwick held off until the following Sunday to sign him (he got injured racing on the Saturday night I think but don't think Peter knew how bad initially).

Just now, Fromafar said:

It’s all getting a bit desperate now:rolleyes::D

Aye more importantly looks like Coty could miss a few meetings yet due to travel restrictions in Argentina due to Covid

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sparks123 said:

Remember it well.

I take it you didn't read my post as I mentioned Manu.  Did he not sign for Berwick 2 weeks prior to the Edinburgh meeting but couldn't race on the Saturday so Berwick held off until the following Sunday to sign him (he got injured racing on the Saturday night I think but don't think Peter knew how bad initially).

You may well be right though from memory I think young Mr Waite knew exactly what was going on.;)

3 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

It’s all getting a bit desperate now:rolleyes::D

We still have a few days before we start complaining about the Scunthorpe match.

• Haha 2