British Speedway Forum
crescent girl

BERWICK v BIRMINGHAM (May 22nd) 6.30pm - followed by Bullets v Belle Vue Colts

First of all it was so nice to see live speedway after so long without it but the racing at Berwick hasn’t changed at all after the track changes! Gate and go ! I can count on one hand how many passes there was last night. Harris was excellent and well done to Birmingham

• Like 1

Disappointing reslt for the home fans. Some of those riders need to have a long hard think... I enjoyed the NL match more, Greg Blair was the standout entertainment wise.

I didnt see any difference in how the track was riding after all the hard work put in.

Bandits will have to get their act together if they don't want crowds down to an unsustainable level

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HGould said:

Brummies asked Berwick to change the date Berwick declined.

How do you suppose Brummies or Berwick could have known Etheridge was going to get injured in his first ride.

Sour grapes from you and an own goal from Berwick, who could have easily just put on the NDL match

Nothing to do with professionalism of the sport at all. 

Absolutely everything to do with professionalism of the sport. The situation should have been taken out of both clubs hands. Take Etheridge out of the equation and you still have two guests and R/R fit the first match of the season, should have been rescheduled by the governing body as soon as that became apparent. 

People go on and on about racing, the bikes, track prep etc but the biggest problem we have is unavailability of riders. People want to see 7v7 of contracted riders wherever possible! 

• Like 6

I refrained from posting last night! That was a very very bitter pill to swallow! And already, even though it’s only the 1st meeting, a 12 point home defeat is not a good way to start! Some may see this as moaning, but trust me, I speak as a very long time genuine fan of Berwick. I’ve spent thousands following my club over the years, sacrificed family holidays, made excuses to miss birthdays just so I could get to away meetings #imabadfriend
We are seriously going to struggle using RR for Coty. Nobody knows when the South American borders will be opened and even when so, he’ll have to quarantine over here! IMO, that needs sorted ASAP!  We need Dany G on rubbish hot home form and that was sadly not so last night as can be said with Spud too.
Losing Jye was a big blow for us... immediately throwing more pressure on to Leon and Kyle in the process. 
Our 2 reserves definitely showed huge promise though. Leon scoring 9&2 which should have been more but for his bike failing when leading heat 4. 
Racing in the 1st meeting was not brilliant... going to have to turn it around against Scunthorpe! 

on the upside, I did enjoy the NDL meeting against Belle Vue where there was actually some memorable passes... Greg Blair being the stand out! 

• Like 2

So... Kai Huckenbeck pulled out of the European challenge meeting the other day, the one that fellow German was ‘on stand by’ for... and he was replaced by Ivacic...? Could it be that he maybe couldn’t get to Berwick in time due to racing in Germany on Friday night for Landshut... Which would surely mean no facility? Because he quite clearly wasn’t on stand by, and even if he was, that surely does not give a facility???? 

In terms of last night, brilliant to be back at a stadium, bar Greg Blair the racing was awful, shock, don’t know why Jye got EX in ht3, but the main question has to be why we haven’t replaced Coty, as it was surely obvious that he wasn’t making it over, or anytime soon. Harris brilliant bar ht1, Leon and NBJ who afaik hasn’t even rode the ‘new’ track before the only bright sparks. Gappmaier worrying, he’s only good for home meetings in the first place... Good to see a not bad sized crowd as well

Edited by allthegearbutnaeidea

Although the " racing" was fast it was follow the leader, jye lifted coming of turn 2 hit fence race stopped hence his exclusion.on the down side stood on back straight most people didnt wear a mask and was free to walk round the stadium might need to look at that , and ofcourse the chip shop was closed but the pie and chips in stadium were not too bad.enjoyed the night 2.45 hrs drive home so will do again .:t:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Although the " racing" was fast it was follow the leader, jye lifted coming of turn 2 hit fence race stopped hence his exclusion.on the down side stood on back straight most people didnt wear a mask and was free to walk round the stadium might need to look at that , and ofcourse the chip shop was closed but the pie and chips in stadium were not too bad.enjoyed the night 2.45 hrs drive home so will do again .:t:

You were only to wear a mask whilst moving around, seemed very pointless, you should never be close to anyone anyways, it’s a massive stadium, Northumberland street in Newcastle is more of a risk than Shielfield:)Well from where I was stood it looked like Jye got quite a large elbow from Shanes causing him to lift?

5 minutes ago, allthegearbutnaeidea said:

You were only to wear a mask whilst moving around, seemed very pointless, you should never be close to anyone anyways, it’s a massive stadium, Northumberland street in Newcastle is more of a risk than Shielfield:)Well from where I was stood it looked like Jye got quite a large elbow from Shanes causing him to lift?

Stood on the exit of turn 2 i didnt see any elbows flying more jye lifted seemed to get bike down but fence pulled him in,enjoyed the ndl fixture some good young ones on show with a special mention for  blair and sam mcgurk looks tiny on the bike but good to watch.

One meeting in and it starts. The promotion and volunteers put in a massive amount of work to even get this season started. It’s a loss but the positives outweigh the negatives IMO. If Reggie hadn’t had the Granty into the fence he could have scored points which would have made it a lot closer. The ref needs the Keekers deeked at cos he was the only one who didn’t see Harris jump 13. As fir the Bullits meeting. Take a bow chaps. Not one person can say you can’t overtake watching Blair winding it on. I for one had an enjoyable night and once again hats off to everyone who made it happen. 

Col must of not got behind the lads lol

• Haha 1

Very disappointing result, could not have foreseen Jyes accident, but think they need to address the Coty situation, giving Dany G an extra ride away from home is a no no.The new track work done does not seem to have made any difference if last nights racing is anything to go by.Good bit of team riding by NBJ for Kyle.Hopefully better next week or can see crowds dwindling.

While you can appreciate that Jye is 100% effort and entertaining he has to learn to stay on the bike more .He spends too much time on the injured list.He is a forceful rider but he has falls in every other meeting,he can’t keep getting away with it without injury.

If Brum offered to change the date and Berwick said no then this is a lovely bit of justice for the Brummies. 

Even with the clearly weaker championship line ups across the board, this Berwick side looks poor.

well done Birmingham and its not very often I will say it but Laurence Rogers:drink:

6 minutes ago, Pinny said:

If Brum offered to change the date and Berwick said no then this is a lovely bit of justice for the Brummies. 

Even with the clearly weaker championship line ups across the board, this Berwick side looks poor.

well done Birmingham and its not very often I will say it but Laurence Rogers:drink:

Think the Berwick Team was built on a budget just hoping to do well at Home,have got off to a bad start though.Judging by last nights performance away Heat Leaders will have a field day if they can gate.Might be some tight home scores.If Dany G. does not get at least double figures at home we’re in trouble IMO.