British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

So sad to see Somerset Speedway close.

Always enjoyed my trips there...

I often went to the pairs on the Friday night and then drove home.....once the novelty of Cardiff wore thin I stopped going there.

My thoughts go out to their supporters.. they must be devastated

I expected COVID to hit some tracks hard..but was not expecting closures

Such sad news, and I feel absolutely gutted for all the Somerset supporters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Najjer said:

I think it would need more than that.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what offers/help was offered to keep the venue going?

Was anyother promoter offered the chance to run it? I think it was only a matter of time for it to close when u pass and see the units allready built that land near the motorway is worth alot, sad as it is lose money at any sport or make a mint selling the land its a no brainer really .

• Like 1

A sad situation for the supporters etc and a blow to speedway in general but from a business perspective one can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long. It is seemingly the right decision for the family and it is after all their money not the sports or the supporters and perhaps you should applaud them for sticking at it for so long. When you look at the governing body, the state of the sport with lack lustre decision making or reformatting of the sport in what is a difficult ‘trading’ year, why would anyone throw money away at a lost cause. This really should serve as a wake up call to the cohorts who run speedway and have overseen its decline for many years. We should thank all involved with Somerset for their contribution to the sport and move on. 

• Like 5

Very sad to see another speedway stadium close, especially one of the modern generation of venues. 

The decline of speedway in the south west looks certain to continue, the loss of the IoW, and with Swindon and now Poole looking decidedly uncertain to continue long term. 

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, old bob at herne bay said:

Very sad to see another speedway stadium close, especially one of the modern generation of venues. 

The decline of speedway in the south west looks certain to continue, the loss of the IoW, and with Swindon and now Poole looking decidedly uncertain to continue long term. 

It’s tragic really when you think over the last 20 years or so, the loss of Trelawny, Exeter, Newport, Reading, Swindon and now Somerset. That was one of the main cores of the league back in 2002/2003. Some great times visiting those places.

• Like 4

Gutted.  Was a regular supporter from the time I was attracted back to speedway just missing a few weeks from the very start.  Barr the odd meeting due to holidays, never missed any despite being the only one left out of a crowd of original regulars but making new friends there instead.  Will miss DaveT, Statman, Bish, Najjer and my new friends Brian and Liz as well as loads of others I chatted to but never got to know their names.  RIP Somerset Speedway.

• Like 8

Another kick on the short & curlys for our sport & I think they're may be a few more over the coming seasons but hopefully not 

2 hours ago, old bob at herne bay said:

The loss (??) of Isle of Wight is very different. That is purely down to the incompetence and selfishness of certain members of the BSPL because had due and correct procedure been followed  they would almost certainly be part of the National League.

I am, however, saddened to read of the loss of Somerset Speedway and have little doubt that the circumstances indicated by Debbie Hancock are true. 

Perhaps the loss is greater than normal because the OTA's reputation as a fine racing track was much deserved.  For me,  I'll never forget an astonishing night in 2015 when Plymouth Devils turned up and battered the Rebels, much to my amazement and the delight of my pals from the south west.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

It’s tragic really when you think over the last 20 years or so, the loss of Trelawny, Exeter, Newport, Reading, Swindon and now Somerset. That was one of the main cores of the league back in 2002/2003. Some great times visiting those places.

And Hull.  Shame the sport losing another track & team, premanently this case, and gotta feel for Rebels fans.  Thing is, someone told me a long time ago "if you ever come into money (some hope) invest in land, the value will always go up as they don't make it anymore"....

Edited by martinmauger
spelling

I was at Exeter when they closed and  migrated to Somerset.

I've made some good friends at Somerset including  Najjer, Mr T , Ian (Statman) and all the boys on the back straight.

I've some great memories and photos .

Thanks Debbie; Bill; Gazza all the track staff and those behind the scenes.

Thanks

Ian H

• Like 3

never say never - Redcar came back, Scunny, Worky by the looks of it, Leicester, Kent. Maybe not this year or next due to lack of cash but one field was found in the middle of nowhere so maybe there'll be another. Get them Euromillions tickets bought.

Another sad loss for the sport... hardly surprising really, the only real surprise is that more clubs haven't closed due to Covid rules and restrictions. Swindon must surely be a major doubt.