British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

Disappointing news but not unexpected given recent events. 

Hopefully Garry May will be back somewhere sooner rather than later

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cheese said:

Disappointing news but not unexpected given recent events. 

Hopefully Garry May will be back somewhere sooner rather than later

Would be interesting to hear his take on things. It wasn’t that long ago he was on the radio saying about assembling a team for next year as Somerset would be back and would be looking to hold the pairs this year. Maybe he’s been strung along like everybody else when it was pretty clear what was happening?

I expect to see him back at Poole fairly soon. Good luck to him as he’s one of the most astute team managers about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Najjer said:

Would be interesting to hear his take on things. It wasn’t that long ago he was on the radio saying about assembling a team for next year as Somerset would be back and would be looking to hold the pairs this year. Maybe he’s been strung along like everybody else when it was pretty clear what was happening?

I expect to see him back at Poole fairly soon. Good luck to him as he’s one of the most astute team managers about.

He's been at Poole most weeks anyway!!;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Najjer said:

Totally agree

• Like 1

Gutted with this news, always loved stopping off on my way to/from Cornwall and taking a meeting in, great track and friendly fans, this venue will be sadly missed, only the Crossways Inn to stop for now, great shame, got to feel for the fans.

• Like 1

You would hope that the closure of yet another track would make those running the sport take notice and ponder "does anyone amongst us actually really think we are doing things right"?

Unfortunately it is hard not to think that the first thought of some when hearing the news was  "quick get on the blower and see if we can sign 'so and so'" for next season"....

I think that is now seven tracks gone in the past four or five years...

In no particular order....

Coventry, Buxton, Rye House, Lakeside, Somerset, Workington, and Stoke...

With only a rarely built new stadium saving Belle Vue from joining the list this year and Swindon still waiting for 'summer' to start so the builders can build their new facility...

WOW!:(...

• Like 4

The first thoughts are how can we pinch their riders and their fans.

Don't they come up with a cunning plan to save the sport each Autumn ?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, mikebv said:

You would hope that the closure of yet another track would make those running the sport take notice and ponder "does anyone amongst us actually really think we are doing things right"?

Unfortunately it is hard not to think that the first thought of some when hearing the news was  "quick get on the blower and see if we can sign 'so and so'" for next season"....

I think that is now seven tracks gone in the past four or five years...

In no particular order....

Coventry, Buxton, Rye House, Lakeside, Somerset, Workington, and Stoke...

With only a rarely built new stadium saving Belle Vue from joining the list this year and Swindon still waiting for 'summer' to start so the builders can build their new facility...

WOW!:(...

Fans with money, which promoters mainly are, should not be able to run the sport. They annually admit to being at the helm when their track loses thousands of pounds and learn enough to do the same the next season. Surely any bright spark would fathom out that, one day, the cash will be gone and the track will be in trouble. Living beyond your means has been speedway's problem. All the SKY cash went on keeping star riders happy, and then they all f**k*d off when it ran out. My feelings on the way the sport has been run are well documented on here. It is sad the way things are going, but I told you so.  

• Like 5

I would imagine the Hancock's have had enough of Speedway in this country things never change same old rubbish in complete decline, sell up make some money because they were not going to make any in Speedway have a nice retirement.

20 minutes ago, moxey63 said:

Fans with money, which promoters mainly are, should not be able to run the sport. They annually admit to being at the helm when their track loses thousands of pounds and learn enough to do the same the next season. Surely any bright spark would fathom out that, one day, the cash will be gone and the track will be in trouble. Living beyond your means has been speedway's problem. All the SKY cash went on keeping star riders happy, and then they all f**k*d off when it ran out. My feelings on the way the sport has been run are well documented on here. It is sad the way things are going, but I told you so.  

And when something unforeseen like Covid smashes the 'umbrella' businesses that has subsidised the tracks year in year out, (be it as a 'plaything' or because it was tax favourable), then the sh1tstorm really begins...

If they couldn't make it pay why not let someone else have a go? I can only think they have already agreed to sell the land.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, eric i said:

If they couldn't make it pay why not let someone else have a go? I can only think they have already agreed to sell the land.

Given the state of the sport would you want to let it out and get a few grand rent, which may disappear at any moment given the current track closure run rate,, or get a fair few hundred thousand, or maybe even more, in one go...?

I know what I would do....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mikebv said:

Given the state of the sport would you want to let it out and get a few grand rent, which may disappear at any moment given the current track closure run rate,, or get a fair few hundred thousand, or maybe even more, in one go...?

I know what I would do....

I agree but it would be nice if they made that clear in the statement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iris123 said:

Don't they come up with a cunning plan to save the sport each Autumn ?

Do the same as we did last year is the only plan they ever have. 

• Like 2