British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
womble53

Somerset Closure

On 5/29/2021 at 3:57 PM, Ghosty said:

Copied from tougher Zomerset tread.

I would like to think the Hancock's will give a more in-depth interview on the overall reason why Somerset Speedway is no more, the loyal fans deserve it & other promotions could learn from it. 

I have said it before: I'm sure the year in the Premiership created huge debts, this hopefully would under normal circumstances have been clawed back over the last few years but with forced race nights & covid this didn't happen. 

To their "credit" the Hancocks never presented the begging bowl to the sponsors or the fans, maybe they should have? Maybe if they had been more open with any problems a solution might have been offered. Maybe, Maybe, Maybe, what is fact another one bits the dust.

Maybe the offer for the land was too good an opportunity to turn down regardless of the loss of income through covid etc..Big shame as Somerset was a great track and produced some very good racing.

• Like 4

I know the pandemic hit the club house/function room side of the business but suspect they would have sold regardless of the pandemic, too good an offer. 

• Like 1

Hi there, apologies if anybody has covered this elsewhere and I’ve missed it. I was just wondering, does anybody know if this fantastic track has been ripped up now? 

Edited by Marky_Mark

7 hours ago, Marky_Mark said:

Hi there, apologies if anybody has covered this elsewhere and I’ve missed it. I was just wondering, does anybody know if this fantastic track has been ripped up now? 

I believe so and half of it is used for caravan storage.

3 hours ago, Elmo said:

I believe so and half of it is used for caravan storage.

What a waste

Whilst I could have understood the need for Houses, do we not have enough McDos and Greggs around the country, the site is going from fast bikes to fast food :sad:.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Marky_Mark said:

Heartbreaking!  I don’t suppose anyone has any pics of what the defunct track now looks like?

There’s some pictures on the speedway stadiums past and present Facebook group.

Was a great racetrack..shame it closed.