British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Stewart

Edinburgh v Redcar 28th May

Of course it’s a limited market, I certainly wouldn’t suggest it’s competing with all the other streaming services above.

But if clubs can get in extra revenue in these difficult times then I can’t see why people are against it? I’m sure Edinburgh are grateful for the extra monies last night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

Majority of cinemas are about £5.99/£8.00 these days per person, its about 10 years since it was £15.00 a head, they had tailored cost to account for a crashing market even before Covid, food, like at speedway is optional but the base cost for tickets has come down a lot.  A cinema is also an out of home experience, these days you can rent films online or having streaming services on constant demand. 

NBA League Pass is £25.00 for the entire duration of the play offs

Premier Sport pass is £10.99 for a month 

Eurosport is £6.99 

Using both these services you could feasibly watch about 4 or 5 meetings in a month. 

Now TV Day pass is £9.98

Netflix is about £5.99 a month

I appreciate the need for the revenue of streaming a meeting, but anyone acting like it is value for money is being a bit silly, its an admirable product priced at diehard fans rather than likely to attract that must floating interest 

Exactly what i mean - its ok if you want to tune in and watch your side away racing , but as a home supporter every week youd be better of paying to go every week. 

I used to stream my MMA promotion we done them free worldwide but had to bare the costs of the stream which isnt cheap in itself.

A streaming service should be run by the BSPA for X amount of meetings per month for a one-off monthly fee with the profit going into marketing the sport

£6.99 a month marketed at ALL fans would work better than individual clubs bareing these costs 

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

the 50 mile exclusion zone sounds like a plan

Can't you just VPN to appear to be more than 50 miles away? That's a thing isn't it?

1 hour ago, Pinny said:

Exactly what i mean - its ok if you want to tune in and watch your side away racing , but as a home supporter every week youd be better of paying to go every week. 

Just so you’re aware not sure if you are. Crowds are currently restricted. So it’s currently available to everyone. However once crowds are no longer restricted up here I believe it will be going back to the 50 miles exclusion zone. 

Tbh the streaming was aimed at away fans or fans who were abroad or too far away to travel to the matches so they still had a chance to watch their team. Obviously with covid it’s came in extremely handy with the predicament we’ve found ourselves in.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, enotian said:

Can't you just VPN to appear to be more than 50 miles away? That's a thing isn't it?

You can, but normally that’s to get around paying full price ( not that I’d know obviously......)

Think we are getting away from the point, that streaming could be a way of clubs getting more revenue. 

Yes it has issues but anything that potentially brings more money into any club is worth looking at.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

You can, but normally that’s to get around paying full price ( not that I’d know obviously......)

Think we are getting away from the point, that streaming could be a way of clubs getting more revenue. 

Yes it has issues but anything that potentially brings more money into any club is worth looking at.

not if you're just converting £18 into £8 for someone who would have attended in person but now just watches from home.  Or worse still say a family of four who might have spent c£50 who now spend £8.

Does the income from away supporters and neutrals offset those losses and the cost of streaming?

If attending the event in person was a much better experience than watching from home it might be worth the risk.....

I've said before, I can see it working for shared events when multiple teams are involved but not for individual league matches.

12 minutes ago, enotian said:

not if you're just converting £18 into £8 for someone who would have attended in person but now just watches from home.  Or worse still say a family of four who might have spent c£50 who now spend £8.

Does the income from away supporters and neutrals offset those losses and the cost of streaming?

If attending the event in person was a much better experience than watching from home it might be worth the risk.....

I've said before, I can see it working for shared events when multiple teams are involved but not for individual league matches.

That’s why I used the words “could “ and “potentially”. Easy to see the negatives in anything.

I did let my son watch the last heat last night so I’ll be sending Edinburgh extra money to compensate for their loss ;)

56 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Just so you’re aware not sure if you are. Crowds are currently restricted. So it’s currently available to everyone. However once crowds are no longer restricted up here I believe it will be going back to the 50 miles exclusion zone. 

Tbh the streaming was aimed at away fans or fans who were abroad or too far away to travel to the matches so they still had a chance to watch their team. Obviously with covid it’s came in extremely handy with the predicament we’ve found ourselves in.

How many were allowed in on Friday? 

34 minutes ago, Joseq7 said:

How many were allowed in on Friday? 

I believe it was 500 however I could be wrong.

The pay per view prices charged by Scottish Premier League Clubs ranged from £20 for Livingston to £9.99 for Rangers, with the others between £17.50 - £12 (Celtic did offer ppv).   

I would guess that Livingston with a smaller fan base had smaller guaranteed local subscribers & looked to generate more income from visiting fans, whereas Rangers would have a very large home fan base & could price at £9.99, given the volume of uptake.

For those who missed last night's stream it's now available as rent on demand for £4.99 on EMTV here :-

https://www.edinburghmonarchs.co.uk/news-centre/article/2021-05-29/home-is-where-the-monarchs-are

at bottom of screen

Edited by cyclone

58 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

I believe it was 500 however I could be wrong.

Cheers Blobster.

How much is the average Edinburgh home attendance? A thousandish?

2 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

That’s why I used the words “could “ and “potentially”. Easy to see the negatives in anything.

I did let my son watch the last heat last night so I’ll be sending Edinburgh extra money to compensate for their loss ;)

Easy to do the maths as well.

If anything I wrote was wrong please advise.  Not being negative just pointing out the risks.

1 hour ago, Joseq7 said:

Cheers Blobster.

How much is the average Edinburgh home attendance? A thousandish?

I would say around that number yes.

• Like 1