British Speedway Forum
TotallyHonestJohn

06/06/21 1600 Newcastle v Edinburgh (C-KOC) Followed By 1800 Newcastle v Armadale (NDL)

Well here's the first one and its been a long time coming
06/06/21 1600 Newcastle v Edinburgh (C-KOC) Followed By 1800 Newcastle v Armadale (NDL) 

The teams for the KO Cup meeting should consist of the following riders

Newcastle; Ben Barker; Connor Mountain; Max Clegg Adam Roynon Matthew Weathers James Wright and Joe Alcock
Edinburgh: Sam Masters; Nathan Greaves; Josh Pickering; Kye Thomson; Richie Worrall;  William Lawson; Joe Lawlor

So this Knock Out Cup clash brings back a couple of old Newcastle favourites lining up for the Monarchs in Worrall and Lawson and I can see this only going one way (unfortunately) The NDL meeting however at 1800 which sees Newcastle v Armadale (NDL) will be a different matter and should provide a good home win for the Gems

The teams for the NDL meeting should consist of the following riders

Gems; Max Clegg; Ryan Terry-Daly; Josh Embleton; Joe Alcock; Kelsey Dugard; Archie Freeman; Danny Smith;
Armadale; Nathan Greaves; Tom Woolley; Danny Phillips; Sheldon Davies; Lewis Millar George Rothery Gregor Millar

So this brings us (or me anyway) on to what was our biggest home defeat by the Monarchs over the years and consulting my copy of the History of Speedway at Brough Park Newcastle 1929 to 2018 (as compiled by Joe Wake) the biggest ever home defeat at the hands of Edinburgh was dished out on Monday the 10th of July 1961 in the Northern League where Edinburgh went away with a 24 - 54 reverse and the scorers were as follows...

ND. Don Wilkinson 10 Slant Payling 4+1 Russ Dent 4 + 1 Norman Johnson 3 Vic Lonsdale 2 George Glen 1 Freddie Fewsdale 0 Stan Pennell 0
EM. Doug Templeton 12 George Hunter 11 + 1 Wayne Briggs 9 + 3 Willie Templeton 8 Bill Osborne 6 Alf Wells 5 + 1 Jimmy Tannock 3 + 1

Newcastle ended up bottom of both the Provincial and Northern Leagues in 1961 so lets hope the Diamonds of 2021 can put on a better show some 60 years later...

Oh and just for reference our biggest ever home win against Edinburgh... well that came in the October of 1983 in the Quarter Final second leg of the Supernational when Joe Owen posted a 5 ride full max and Rod Hunter Bobby Beaton and Martin Scarisbrick all got 5 ride paid maximums and Bernie Collier got a 4 ride paid max in a 16 Heat 75 - 21 victory for the Diamonds and the main resistance came from Sean Courtney with 8 and Roger Lambert with 7 + 1; both scores off 7 rides... to date and although over 16 heats this was the biggest ever win for Newcastle at Brough Park in the history of the club... oh happy days...

My predictions 35 - 55 in the KO Cup match with Worrall; Masters and Josh Pickering who posted an excellent score in 2018 for the Monarchs at Brough and seemed to like the track somewhat proving to hot to handle at the top end of Edinburgh for Newcastle to get anywhere near. However in the Gems meeting I fancy them to win 50 - 40 in the NDL Meeting... 

Got my tickets and I am raring to go... looking forward to it starting...

Oh and a quick message for Rob Grant "put two Hogg roasts on cos I am saving myself from now" so one for everyone else and mine... and all you need to do with mine is just wipe its backside; give it a shave and slap it in the bun cos am ready for a feed...

Regards
THJ

PS. Many thanks to Joe Wake for allowing the use of the information above from his excellent book
"History of Speedway at Brough Park, Newcastle 1929 to 2018"

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 1

Looks like Sam Masters will be missing for this one due to a Polish commitment on the Sunday and there could be a doubt over Ben Barker with his fractured finger...

Although Ben reckons he will be fit in time for both the away and home legs of this KOC tie...

Regards 

THJ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Looks like Sam Masters will be missing for this one due to a Polish commitment on the Sunday and there could be a doubt over Ben Barker with his fractured finger...

Although Ben reckons he will be fit in time for both the away and home legs of this KOC tie...

Regards 

THJ 

Isnt the edinburgh team a commitment ??

On 5/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Oh and just for reference our biggest ever home win against Edinburgh... well that came in the October of 1983 in the Quarter Final second leg of the Supernational when Joe Owen posted a 5 ride full max and Rod Hunter Bobby Beaton and Martin Scarisbrick all got 5 ride paid maximums and Bernie Collier got a 4 ride paid max in a 16 Heat 75 - 21 victory for the Diamonds and the main resistance came from Sean Courtney with 8 and Roger Lambert with 7 + 1; both scores off 7 rides... to date and although over 16 heats this was the biggest ever win for Newcastle at Brough Park in the history of the club... oh happy days...

Here's something I remember about that inglorious meeting. We were terrible and I remember eg Sean Courtney wheelying during races when at the back.

Brett Saunders had been saying that some of the fans' criticism of the team was unfair. For this meeting he was out injured but was there watching from the stand. When I saw him afterwards he said "That was f***ing pathetic!"

So he knew how we felt!

You also beat us 61-17 in 1978 the day after we had won at Boston. Rob Hollingworth won heat 4 in the fastest time of the night, and the only other points we gained were in the last heat when Newcastle fielded a reserve. That was just as bad as the one mentioned earlier, only shorter.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, geoff100 said:

Isnt the edinburgh team a commitment ??

There's an International priority list and cup ties come below league matches. It's not good but it is the only way to keep the Poles at bay, to have an agreement. Everyone knows where they stand and there should be no misunderstandings - in theory.

3 hours ago, Al Stewart said:

You also beat us 61-17 in 1978 the day after we had won at Boston.

You recollections are spot on Al... but don't worry it will be nothing like that this time round...

Regards
THJ

On 5/27/2021 at 2:03 PM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well here's the first one and its been a long time coming

The teams for the KO Cup meeting should consist of the following riders

Newcastle; Ben Barker; Connor Mountain; Max Clegg Adam Roynon Matthew Weathers James Wright and Joe Alcock
Edinburgh: Sam Masters; Nathan Greaves; Josh Pickering; Kye Thomson; Richie Worrall;  William Lawson; Joe Lawlor

So this Knock Out Cup clash brings back a couple of old Newcastle favourites lining up for the Monarchs in Worrall and Lawson and I can see this only going one way (unfortunately) The NDL meeting however at 1800 which sees Newcastle v Armadale (NDL) will be a different matter and should provide a good home win for the Gems

The teams for the NDL meeting should consist of the following riders

Gems; Max Clegg; Ryan Terry-Daly; Josh Embleton; Joe Alcock; Kelsey Dugard; Archie Freeman; Danny Smith;
Armadale; Nathan Greaves; Tom Woolley; Danny Phillips; Sheldon Davies; Lewis Millar George Rothery Gregor Millar

So this brings us (or me anyway) on to what was our biggest home defeat by the Monarchs over the years and consulting my copy of the History of Speedway at Brough Park Newcastle 1929 to 2018 (as compiled by Joe Wake) the biggest ever home defeat at the hands of Edinburgh was dished out on Monday the 10th of July 1961 in the Northern League where Edinburgh went away with a 24 - 54 reverse and the scorers were as follows...

ND. Don Wilkinson 10 Slant Payling 4+1 Russ Dent 4 + 1 Norman Johnson 3 Vic Lonsdale 2 George Glen 1 Freddie Fewsdale 0 Stan Pennell 0
EM. Doug Templeton 12 George Hunter 11 + 1 Wayne Briggs 9 + 3 Willie Templeton 8 Bill Osborne 6 Alf Wells 5 + 1 Jimmy Tannock 3 + 1

Newcastle ended up bottom of both the Provincial and Northern Leagues in 1961 so lets hope the Diamonds of 2021 can put on a better show some 60 years later...

My predictions 35 - 55 in the KO Cup match with Worrall; Masters and Josh Pickering who posted an excellent score in 2018 for the Monarchs at Brough and seemed to like the track somewhat proving to hot to handle at the top end of Edinburgh for Newcastle to get anywhere near. However in the Gems meeting I fancy them to win 50 - 40 in the NDL Meeting... 

Got my tickets and I am raring to go... looking forward to it starting...

Oh and a quick message for Rob Grant "put two Hogg roasts on cos I am saving myself from now" so one for everyone else and mine... and all you need to do with mine is just wipe its backside; give it a shave and slap it in the bun cos am ready for a feed...

Regards
THJ

PS. Many thanks to Joe Wake for allowing the use of the information above from his excellent book
"History of Speedway at Brough Park, Newcastle 1929 to 2018"

So is the new name BOS HOGG

Well for those who have seen.the state of Ben Barkers hand on social media they will fully understand as to why Newcastle are running with not only a guest on Friday at Edinburgh in Kyle Howarth but have drafted in the services of Glasgow rider Ricky Wells for the return leg two days later at Brough Park...

So for our first meeting back at Brough after 20 months we get a guest in at Number 1 for both clubs with Steve Worrall standing in for Edinburgh in place of the unavailable Sam Masters...

Roll on Sunday...

Regards 

THJ 

Missed out word

On 6/1/2021 at 9:41 AM, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Regards 

THJ 

He's had another op today so he best let it rest up for another week

Let’s hope our track is better prepared than Birmingham’s tonight as reports have it that it’s a disgrace. Our shared Trackman , Mr. Roynon , certainly was up against it with only 5 hours to prep a track in blazing sunshine.

Well Well Well

The debacle that purported to be a Speedway meeting in Birmingham last night has certainly heaped the pressure onto this Newcastle meeting that's for sure, I have been told from my pal at ARC that not only will there be 6 Covid Policemen in attendance from the local authority ensuring the Covid rules and regulations are being complied to and with by the promotion but due to the fiasco at Perry Bar (also owned by ARC) that Arena Racing are sending up another half dozen or so of their top brass to ensure that there are no problems and I have it from good authority that if they don't like what they see they will abandon the meeting...

Pressure or what...

So possible pinch points or areas where issues may arise that folk need to be aware of are; wear your mask at all times; don't congregate around the entrances and toilet facilities; get your grub; get your programme and get to your spot ASAP and settle there; oh and wear your mask. If sitting in the stand you can take your mask off whilst sitting down but if you get up to go anywhere you must wear a mask; Standing on the terraces you should be wearing a mask at all times however as long as you are in your group and standing in your spot you may be allowed to drop it for comfort but if you need to go for food drink or toilet facilities you must wear your mask; and if you think you are exempt from wearing a mask you will need a note off either your Mam; your Doctor or Boris Johnson (or be under the age of 16 and be able to prove your age) otherwise you will be given a mask and if you don't wear it I have been advised that they have a stapler and are prepared to use it to ensure its stuck to your napper... so common sense really and did I mention you must wear a mask! also there will be Security Staff on the day who will be able to advise and assist in complying with the regulations and guidelines so please FFS listen to them don't get arsey as they are only there to help... Honest

As we are all ticket and there is no paying on the door there will be no need to sign in; (big brother knows who you are) the toilets will be fumigated and cleaned regularly for Covid; there will be face masks available should there be a need for one and there will be that lovely lube oil that masquerades as hand sanitising gel at the entrance for you to have a bath in to ensure you aren't carrying any Germans into the stadium... Stay safe follow the rules and we should get over this hump together and hopefully after the 21st of June we can put all this hydraulics (had to put Hydraulics because it didn't like the other word I used for testicles) behind us...

Regards
THJ

Spelling,
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can you use cash to buy a programme/Race Day magazine?

7 hours ago, StevePark said:

Can you use cash to buy a programme/Race Day magazine?

Good question Steve

The important one to note is that the bars are card only....  (so a better tell me old pall Doug to bring their lasses debit card)

However for the catering, the programmes and track shop you can use cash if you want or card but it was impressed that card would be preferred...

Agian if you want alcohol it's card only... you have been warned...

Regards 

THJ 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Well for those who have seen.the state of Ben Barkers hand on social media they will fully understand as to why Newcastle are running with not only a guest on Friday at Edinburgh in Kyle Howarth but have drafted in the services of Glasgow rider Ricky Wells for the return leg two days later at Brough Park...

So for our first meeting back at Brough after 20 months we get a guest in at Number 1 for both clubs with Steve Worrall standing in for Edinburgh in place of the unavailable Sam Masters...

Roll on Sunday...

Regards 

THJ 

Honestly you couldn't make it up...

Ricky Wells has dropped us in the pony for Sunday and has now pulled out of his Guesting opportunity...

The promotion are now working on a couple of others... soon as i hear owt I will stick it on here...

Regards 

THJ