British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singy13

Derwent Park Workington

At the risk of being slightly annoying; whilst perusing Scunny v Poole proggie half saw a report on BBC2 Newsnight Friday night about the political situation in Workington, something about "the football & rugby club are working together to save their ground" then a brief shot of what MAY have been Derwent Park, back straight stand.  No mention of speedway or the Comets though....

18 hours ago, martinmauger said:

At the risk of being slightly annoying; whilst perusing Scunny v Poole proggie half saw a report on BBC2 Newsnight Friday night about the political situation in Workington, something about "the football & rugby club are working together to save their ground" then a brief shot of what MAY have been Derwent Park, back straight stand.  No mention of speedway or the Comets though....

The track was ripped up so the football could play at derwent park whilst the reds ground was knocked down to build a new stadium for rugby and football no mention of the comets.it started out at £5 million then went to £ 25 and lastly at £ 100 over 50 yrs with the rugby and football not paying one penny towards it just the tax payers.thankfully it was voted down to late for the track to be saved ripped up so 400 people could watch a sunday league style football team. Tried to visit northside today but access road is fenced off to stop the gypo's gettind down.

I know there are some security concerns but could Northside be made bigger and developed into proper speedway track? 

1 hour ago, eric i said:

I know there are some security concerns but could Northside be made bigger and developed into proper speedway track? 

It could but i think its  bit far for people without transport to get too, but lots of land to build a redcar or scunny type track .

4 hours ago, geoff100 said:

The track was ripped up so the football could play at derwent park whilst the reds ground was knocked down to build a new stadium for rugby and football no mention of the comets.it started out at £5 million then went to £ 25 and lastly at £ 100 over 50 yrs with the rugby and football not paying one penny towards it just the tax payers.thankfully it was voted down to late for the track to be saved ripped up so 400 people could watch a sunday league style football team. Tried to visit northside today but access road is fenced off to stop the gypo's gettind down.

672 at Reds’ home game yesterday. Not bad for ‘Sunday League’. How many times did Comets get that many spectators through the turnstiles during their last season? Remind me how much the Workington Speedway promoter lost while running Comets. £750,000 in just six years, wasn’t it? Completely unsustainable.

Cant see anything ever happening speedway facility wise, workington is just a dwindling spectacle sports wise, a forgotten neglected town, only thing councillors channel their energies into is there expenses sheets 

51 minutes ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

672 at Reds’ home game yesterday. Not bad for ‘Sunday League’. How many times did Comets get that many spectators through the turnstiles during their last season? Remind me how much the Workington Speedway promoter lost while running Comets. £750,000 in just six years, wasn’t it? Completely unsustainable.

750,000 jeez

6 hours ago, eric i said:

Think plans are for a Redcar size track, but as I have previously said a long way off staging any practice/events, wish the guy good luck, maybe more information will be released when the track is nearing completion 

7 hours ago, geoff100 said:

You could have parked up at parking area just over the bridge and walked to see what was going on, you lazy sod :D or were you in the big red bus ? 

3 hours ago, Neila said:

You could have parked up at parking area just over the bridge and walked to see what was going on, you lazy sod :D or were you in the big red bus ? 

Small grey car WALK :rofl:

21 hours ago, Piotr Pyszny said:

What crowds do the rugby team get? 2004/5 the Comets were averaging 1200, what happened to the missing hundreds? A pity they folded after winning the treble.

22 hours ago, geoff100 said:

It could but i think its  bit far for people without transport to get too, but lots of land to build a redcar or scunny type track .

isn't there a bus goes past or to Asda?

11 minutes ago, ch958 said:

isn't there a bus goes past or to Asda?

Yes but the area the potential speedway track is situated over the railway line,so you have to walk along  a road about 3/4 a mile to reach it, but as the crow fly's from said bus stop at Asda is about 100 meters, wish I could fly :D  Nearest but stop is just off the roundabout opposite Northside school

1 hour ago, auntie doris said:

What crowds do the rugby team get? 2004/5 the Comets were averaging 1200, what happened to the missing hundreds? A pity they folded after winning the treble.

According to wiki, Workington Town RLFC’s highest league attendance in 2021 is 1,457.

Encouraging to hear of plans for a track at Northside capable of hosting league racing. Best of luck to those involved.

• Like 1