Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
singy13

Derwent Park Workington

3 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Great little racetrack

One of the most imaginative venues you could find for Speedway. In a clay park with an adjacent lagoon, the refs big bus and a cracking racing track. The magic was ramped up when late on in the evening the mist used to descend to above the track level, and it just looked like a film set. Magic venue with fans to match.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

One of the most imaginative venues you could find for Speedway. In a clay park with an adjacent lagoon, the refs big bus and a cracking racing track. The magic was ramped up when late on in the evening the mist used to descend to above the track level, and it just looked like a film set. Magic venue with fans to match.

I was on holiday in Cornwall many years ago and forgo the opportunity to visit much to my regret!

12 hours ago, Tsunami said:

It was like a Moon Landing when you found the place.Brilliant track.Harris and Zager in the Team  the night I was there,if I remember right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fromafar said:

It was like a Moon Landing when you found the place.Brilliant track.Harris and Zager in the Team  the night I was there,if I remember right.

My auntie used to live in Cornwall.  I went one night, it was against Somerset and was brilliant - the kind of track you can't forget.  Harris and Emiliano Sanchez were the Trelawny top two.  Can only remember Jason Prynne and a German (I think) rider - somebody Wolf was it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kester said:

My auntie used to live in Cornwall.  I went one night, it was against Somerset and was brilliant - the kind of track you can't forget.  Harris and Emiliano Sanchez were the Trelawny top two.  Can only remember Jason Prynne and a German (I think) rider - somebody Wolf was it?

From memory I think the team was Sanchez, Harris, Wolf(who got sacked immediately after our meeting), Prynne, Simon  Phillips, Zagar plus a Czech I think. They are getting beat most weeks and we turned up with a very strong side. We were winning 34-44 with heats 14 and 15 to come,  and were then without Jesper Olsen due to engine and injury problems. They got an 8-1 in heat 14 and followed that up with a 5-1 in heat 15 to win by 47-46. The crowd went ballistic, and I stood on the track applauding them cos the meeting, and their graciousness in victory, was what sport is all about. Wonderful experience captured on a tape I have, but now no machine to run it on and relive the experience. 

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Tsunami said:

From memory I think the team was Sanchez, Harris, Wolf(who got sacked immediately after our meeting), Prynne, Simon  Phillips, Zagar plus a Czech I think. They are getting beat most weeks and we turned up with a very strong side. We were winning 34-44 with heats 14 and 15 to come,  and were then without Jesper Olsen due to engine and injury problems. They got an 8-1 in heat 14 and followed that up with a 5-1 in heat 15 to win by 47-46. The crowd went ballistic, and I stood on the track applauding them cos the meeting, and their graciousness in victory, was what sport is all about. Wonderful experience captured on a tape I have, but now no machine to run it on and relive the experience. 

Loads of video players on Ebay if you want one

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Loads of video players on Ebay if you want one

...I've hung on to mine. A DVD/Video combination and still in good working order. Use it all the time.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Pavel Ondrasik was the Czech I believe

8 hours ago, Najjer said:

Pavel Ondrasik was the Czech I believe

It was thanks. :approve:   I knew ir began with a P, and ironically at the next GP in Prague I was stood next to him in the big square in the City Centre. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Just seen this add this morning.

Speedway Star·  IN THURSDAY’S MAG 

We’ve got the very latest on the potential return of speedway in Oxford and (((( WORKINGTON )))
PLUS great coverage of Poole’s title glory 
PLUS great features and news from around the leagues