British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle vue Colts -V- berwick Bullets

What a way to start your home NL season. ..some great racing and the young kids showing that age is just a number. 

Take a bow Sam and Harry mcgurk. 

Sam as huge potential has pass in heat 12 had to be seen to be believed. 

Harry as come on so much. Looks a totally different rider

Compton was terrific and all action. 

The rest had there moments. 

Flint was unbeatable really except for when coles shoved him wide bend one and they then have a terrific race passing and re-passing but unfortunately flint got the better off him lap 4

All in all. The team might not be as good as previous seasons but its gonna be a fun ride along once again. Colts well worth the money 

• Like 1

Was at the meeting and got to say it was a fantastic advert for national league speedway. Maybe some who thought the reduced limit would effect the product should think again .:t:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

Was at the meeting and got to say it was a fantastic advert for national league speedway. Maybe some who thought the reduced limit would effect the product should think again .:t:

Absolutely right! 

Having watched -- live or streamed -- several NDL matches already, I agree that the reduction in points limit hasn't harmed the product in the slightest.

I have to submit that there has been a very big miscalculation made on that score by our offshore friends........

• Haha 1

Hats off to both McGurks definitely proving my doubts wrong. Expected more from Coles and both Rathbone and Macdonald need to up thier game or stop blocking places for others. 

1 hour ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Hats off to both McGurks definitely proving my doubts wrong. Expected more from Coles and both Rathbone and Macdonald need to up thier game or stop blocking places for others. 

That's a fair assessment it's early yet for changes though

May be a young aussie coming over soon looking for a NDL team 

3 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

So you want Rathbone out after he’s had ONE season of racing and one poor meeting ???

Your ruthless or an idiot, guess which?

5 hours ago, phillwhitewasmad said:

The problem is more one of perception than reality. It seems to be a widely (if in my view very often mistakenly) held belief that it is automatic that as the standard of rider lessens, so does the standard of the racing.

When Poole proposed dropping down last year, around 30% of their fans said they would not watch a Championship team. When Birmingham and Lakeside moved into the NDL a few seasons ago attendances - at least initially -crashed. In addition, we will all be aware of the number of people who have over the years at least said that they will not go again because of points limit reductions. Assuring them that the quality of racing is the same usually cuts very little ice indeed. 

As such, Isle of Wight had every reason to fear significant loss of supporters and consequent loss of revenue resulting from a points reduction.

Besides which, their issue is not just what happened but the way it happened. Had there been a vote amongst NDL clubs (and I have yet to see anyone suggest that there need not have been) rather than having regulations imposed on them by and at the behest of PL & CL clubs (most of whom have no connection with the NDL) then it is entirely possible that the Warriors would still be part of that league.

Then again, its extremely likely that had there been a vote the points limit would not have been reduced, which is almost certainly why it was imposed.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

May be a young aussie coming over soon looking for a NDL team 

With a British passport i assume?

1 hour ago, Ringitsneck said:

So you want Rathbone out after he’s had ONE season of racing and one poor meeting ???

Your ruthless or an idiot, guess which?

I didn't say i wanted him out but i do feel he is under performing.  He has access to top kit, knows belle vue well and as stated had a years experience.  Many coming into teams without a year under thier belt have being better thus far

8 hours ago, Phil The Ace said:

What a way to start your home NL season. ..some great racing and the young kids showing that age is just a number. 

Take a bow Sam and Harry mcgurk. 

Sam as huge potential has pass in heat 12 had to be seen to be believed. 

Harry as come on so much. Looks a totally different rider

Compton was terrific and all action. 

The rest had there moments. 

Flint was unbeatable really except for when coles shoved him wide bend one and they then have a terrific race passing and re-passing but unfortunately flint got the better off him lap 4

All in all. The team might not be as good as previous seasons but its gonna be a fun ride along once again. Colts well worth the money 

Really like both Mcgurk,s both talented hope both have a nice career in speedway .Sam really impressed me a couple of seasons ago at Swindon.

9 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Absolutely right! 

Having watched -- live or streamed -- several NDL matches already, I agree that the reduction in points limit hasn't harmed the product in the slightest.

I have to submit that there has been a very big miscalculation made on that score by our offshore friends........

Lol !! And this affects you how ?? 

The BYC prior to the league match was thoroughly enjoyable...some good quality racing.

A good idea to put it on as an added attraction rather than a stand alone meeting.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Halifaxtiger said:

The problem is more one of perception than reality. It seems to be a widely (if in my view very often mistakenly) held belief that it is automatic that as the standard of rider lessens, so does the standard of the racing.

When Poole proposed dropping down last year, around 30% of their fans said they would not watch a Championship team. When Birmingham and Lakeside moved into the NDL a few seasons ago attendances - at least initially -crashed. In addition, we will all be aware of the number of people who have over the years at least said that they will not go again because of points limit reductions. Assuring them that the quality of racing is the same usually cuts very little ice indeed. 

As such, Isle of Wight had every reason to fear significant loss of supporters and consequent loss of revenue resulting from a points reduction.

Besides which, their issue is not just what happened but the way it happened. Had there been a vote amongst NDL clubs (and I have yet to see anyone suggest that there need not have been) rather than having regulations imposed on them by and at the behest of PL & CL clubs (most of whom have no connection with the NDL) then it is entirely possible that the Warriors would still be part of that league.

Then again, its extremely likely that had there been a vote the points limit would not have been reduced, which is almost certainly why it was imposed.

Halifaxtiger very well put as always. Yet another balanced posting.

Although I post as Great Central (most people know who I am because I live in Loughborough which is one end of a famous steam heritage line), I am Martin Widman Co Promoter and Joint owner of the Wight Warriors Speedway team. It is clear looking at the post by "crescent girl" that she hasn't read our press releases or postings on here. Whilst Barry and I did have   misgivings about the product that we would have to promote as a result of the 35 points limit, that was not the reason why we chose to leave the BSPL. We may yet be proved wrong about the new limit but only time will tell and it will be a case of perception. 

The only reason was because as a member of the BSPL(albeit an Associate Member) we did not get the opportunity to discus its merits in a meeting or AGM, the pitfalls of it and the impact it may have on the product that we had to promote and the resulting impact on our business. The rules were dictated by the Board of the BSPL, none of whom have any liability as to the financial success of our business. 

In spite of the many emails sent seeking clarification about an AGM, about whether this method of dictating the rules which we had to work under would continue at the end of the year, no clear responses to our requests were made. We may actually be forced into publishing the emails to show that we are not telling lies and to show the lack of respect that we were afforded. We were therefore left with no option.

Barry and I are the people who have started the business out of our own pocket, assisted by our sponsors and fans, and we live or die by how we run our business. It has to be noted that along with Mildenhall, we have never received any TV money from the BSPL, money which helps to subsidise the NL teams run by other league teams. As standalone clubs running more NL meetings than non standalone clubs, we actually put a lot of money into the BSPL and SCB coffers and yet got no say in how our business is run. Crescent Girl can buy out my share if she wants, and then be subject to the same dictatorial rules but I suspect the offer will be declined. 

I have tried on many occasions to come up with an analogy on the position we found ourselves in and can only come up with this one. Imagine you are a shop owner paying your taxes and rates to the local Council and suddenly the Council come along and say that you have to cut your prices by 25% What would you do?? Move to another area, get out of shop keeping, or accept the new rules and go bankrupt.   

Speedway is not in good shape right now and all we were asking was to be given the chance to have our say in how we thought it should run in 2021 and beyond. For now, that is all I will say but there is a lot more that could be said. 

Martin Widman

• Like 8

21 hours ago, crescent girl said:

Absolutely right! 

I have always been a fan of National League racing and we wait to see how the lower points limit has an impact over the year. As a visiting supporter to Belle Vue  (and a neutral ) the entertainment was equal to or better than the Premiership racing I saw.

However, it is a mathematical certainty that teams and riders averages will rise significantly over the course of the year  (or as early as the first set of new averages come out   ). What happens next year? Is it 35 points again or will it have to rise  (or has that not been thought about yet   )? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sir Sidney said:

I have always been a fan of National League racing and we wait to see how the lower points limit has an impact over the year. As a visiting supporter to Belle Vue  (and a neutral ) the entertainment was equal to or better than the Premiership racing I saw.

However, it is a mathematical certainty that teams and riders averages will rise significantly over the course of the year  (or as early as the first set of new averages come out   ). What happens next year? Is it 35 points again or will it have to rise  (or has that not been thought about yet   )? 

They can keep it the same by ditching the likes of Clegg Grieves etc. Which, I imagine is the plan. Then you’ll get the likes of Blair Woolley Philips taking on the No. 1 with the current reserves 2 strings and I assume they have looked at the prospects of further Youths who will hit the right age next April to fill the reserve spaces ! I do hope they support those they’ll ditch but looking at the amount of riders I’ve never heard of in the championship there’s a fare few lower riders from foreign shores who hopefully won’t go on to ride in Europe and stick 2 fingers up at British speedway which, I imagine is their plan ! They’ve always used UK as a training scheme