British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil The Ace

Belle vue Colts -V- berwick Bullets

I think you are being a little harsh on the Kent 'rabbits' as you refer to them given that of the tail Clouting has has broken spells of appearances for the club but is in reality one of the better slow burner new season novices, Cousins can't be classed as a rabbit, Mulford has already shown in the previous running season he has ability and has only had time to improve and Warren with the greatest of respect is included in the team for the wrong reasons. 

Don't forget that Kent came up against another serious title contender who have built a team with more strength in depth so are scooping up the minor placings in races. Too often the focus on Speedway is the race winners whereas the way to win matches is by having far fewer last places.

the real problem is most have been off their bikes for over 18 months no practice sessions or second half’s to get up to any sort of race sharpness just straight into racing most riders will take a good few meetings to get up to any sort of race speed but you really need to be riding every week to stay on the pace i know we struggled at our team practice couldn’t get round the track without falling off ,and on a track that we have ridden many times before hopefully riders will get more bike time to get up to speed 

1 hour ago, mac101 said:

the real problem is most have been off their bikes for over 18 months no practice sessions or second half’s to get up to any sort of race sharpness just straight into racing most riders will take a good few meetings to get up to any sort of race speed but you really need to be riding every week to stay on the pace i know we struggled at our team practice couldn’t get round the track without falling off ,and on a track that we have ridden many times before hopefully riders will get more bike time to get up to speed 

Whilst i admit its been more difficult than normal there have certainly bern plenty of chances for riders to get laps in and i dont accept that anyone in a team and serious about keeping it should be taking to the track for the first time in 18months. 

That said i do accept that race rust is very much an element for some riders but there are lads with experience getting outshone by those having a taste of league racing for the first time.

On 5/30/2021 at 8:44 AM, Great Central said:

Halifaxtiger very well put as always. Yet another balanced posting.

Although I post as Great Central (most people know who I am because I live in Loughborough which is one end of a famous steam heritage line), I am Martin Widman Co Promoter and Joint owner of the Wight Warriors Speedway team. It is clear looking at the post by "crescent girl" that she hasn't read our press releases or postings on here. Whilst Barry and I did have   misgivings about the product that we would have to promote as a result of the 35 points limit, that was not the reason why we chose to leave the BSPL. We may yet be proved wrong about the new limit but only time will tell and it will be a case of perception. 

The only reason was because as a member of the BSPL(albeit an Associate Member) we did not get the opportunity to discus its merits in a meeting or AGM, the pitfalls of it and the impact it may have on the product that we had to promote and the resulting impact on our business. The rules were dictated by the Board of the BSPL, none of whom have any liability as to the financial success of our business. 

In spite of the many emails sent seeking clarification about an AGM, about whether this method of dictating the rules which we had to work under would continue at the end of the year, no clear responses to our requests were made. We may actually be forced into publishing the emails to show that we are not telling lies and to show the lack of respect that we were afforded. We were therefore left with no option.

Barry and I are the people who have started the business out of our own pocket, assisted by our sponsors and fans, and we live or die by how we run our business. It has to be noted that along with Mildenhall, we have never received any TV money from the BSPL, money which helps to subsidise the NL teams run by other league teams. As standalone clubs running more NL meetings than non standalone clubs, we actually put a lot of money into the BSPL and SCB coffers and yet got no say in how our business is run. Crescent Girl can buy out my share if she wants, and then be subject to the same dictatorial rules but I suspect the offer will be declined. 

I have tried on many occasions to come up with an analogy on the position we found ourselves in and can only come up with this one. Imagine you are a shop owner paying your taxes and rates to the local Council and suddenly the Council come along and say that you have to cut your prices by 25% What would you do?? Move to another area, get out of shop keeping, or accept the new rules and go bankrupt.   

Speedway is not in good shape right now and all we were asking was to be given the chance to have our say in how we thought it should run in 2021 and beyond. For now, that is all I will say but there is a lot more that could be said. 

Martin Widman

Wouldnt take any notice of crescent girl - he is the sad old berk at Berwick named Dick Barrie. And he is , as his name clearly suggests, a dick. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, mac101 said:

I do agree with you. In the main the ones that are shining are the Youth Championship crop. Who by en large have been racing all the way through this fiasco.  

2 hours ago, TMW said:

I do agree with you. In the main the ones that are shining are the Youth Championship crop. Who by en large have been racing all the way through this fiasco.  

and also all the ones that are at the no limits academy every week 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TMW said:

11 minutes ago, mac101 said:

and also all the ones that are at the no limits academy every week 

Its no secret that every extra lap is a benefit but there are just as many riders with lesser track time over the 'closed' season who are doing well. These riders are those who have gone the extra bit to pick up some laps where they can and/or have the bonus of natural talent to carry them through. Not everyone is being held to the same levels of expectation and its certainly naïve to think that a couple of good early meetings equals a whole seasons success or failure but with a reduced fixture list hitting the ground running early is critical.