British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SPD444

Streaming League Meetings

Yesterday I looked at the number of people looking at each of the three Premiership meetings on the Speedway Update site. There were over 1000  people logged in. If they were to charge £10 to access the stream that’s £10,000 per meeting. All were sell-outs so no loss of attendance income, and would it really cost over £10k to organise it. We have companies who already film meetings and put them on dvd’s which they sell for about £10.

it was done last year by Belle Vue and it is being done this year by a team in the Championship I think.

Speedway are missing a trick here, we must get our head out of the sand, we have a great product so let’s sell it.

• Like 1

A good idea

But one problem could be - does every track have a strong internet connection ?

The UK doesn't yet have good 100%  Broadband / 4G coverage

{ I don't know the technology involved, I am assuming if you live stream an event , you need a good internet connection at the location where it takes place }

Edited by djr
spelling
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Yesterday I looked at the number of people looking at each of the three Premiership meetings on the Speedway Update site. There were over 1000  people logged in. If they were to charge £10 to access the stream that’s £10,000 per meeting. All were sell-outs so no loss of attendance income, and would it really cost over £10k to organise it. We have companies who already film meetings and put them on dvd’s which they sell for about £10.

it was done last year by Belle Vue and it is being done this year by a team in the Championship I think.

Speedway are missing a trick here, we must get our head out of the sand, we have a great product so let’s sell it.

I sometimes have 4 windows open each following a different match update. Don't think I'd buy 4 live streams!

Followed all four meetings on updates yesterday, but wouldn't have bought live streams for any of them, as I was at two of them, driving between Manchester and Peterborough while Kent was on and think trying to watch a live stream while at Alwalton would have been problematic.

Speedway do appear to behind in these terms. Looking at other sports such as Basketball, Ice Hockey and Rugby League, they regularly have streaming coverage of matches. The numbers can't be much different from Speedway for any of those.

There was an article in Speedway Star outlining the requirements and costs etc. Can't recall the details but certainly it would be easier at some venues than others.