British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM v REDCAR WEDS JUNE 2ND

5 minutes ago, kitten2502 said:

No - Chris Roynon.

Oh dear, that doesn't bode well for Newcastle. They have a similar arrangement, with the stadium owners, on a Sunday. Oh and Roynon as new track curator.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

So I attended Perry Barr tonight with 4 new supporters, oh dear, don't think any of us will be going again, absolutely shocking.

And this is the crux of the matter. I took numerous new people to Speedway and always said dont judge it on one match, give it 3 or 4. But what can you say when they have to stand around for an hour then see less than half of what was advertised? Whatever the reasons are, that doesnt leave a good impression.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, spin king said:

I did see the that they were also delayed the start as well to get supporters who were still queuing to get into the stadium as well, but Birmingham really do need to get their act together otherwise they could see fans walking away from the sport if they are not careful.

See UKM post which kind of says it all;)When a fella is as committed as he is to watching speedway and decides to go home due to the chaos he's witnessing then there really are serious problems!!

Be interesting to hear Team Gemini's take on events earlier:lol: (You'll have to excuse me as I've had a long day at work:))

Edited by bluejam
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bluejam said:

See UKM post which kind of says it all;)When a fella is as committed as he is to watching speedway and decides to go home due to the chaos he's witnessing then there really are serious problems!!

Be interesting to hear Team Gemini's take on events earlier:lol:

The banjo's will be playing.:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

Absolutely agree.

I was following on speedway updates and commented that the delay was unacceptable and was told my comment was unnecessary and I should be grateful something was happening (at the time nothing was). 

Yes, that was both you and I.....However, think we had a ton of support after that...

Such a shame that a surprise greyhound meeting should cause the track preperation to be delayed.

They only had 5 hours & the last 15 months to work on the track.

The 12 race greyhound meeting programmed 6 dogs in each race that all turned up ready to race, each race has a designated start time.  It's all televised into all the bookmakers across the country & details are in the national press. First race 10:15 last race 12:59.

Where's the surprise?

Then Speedway wants to be refered to as an Elite Sport........... Maybe somewhere after dog racing

Speedway continues to shoot itself in the foot.

Sounds a complete farce.

LET THE RESULT STAND as least!!!!!!!!

So what was wrong with the track, it's got a hard base? 

And what was the prob with getting people in? We've had people just scanning the tix, no probs at all, quicker than buying tickets at the kiosk ....

6 hours ago, bluejam said:

:oIt ain't worth a divorce for a speedway meeting:lol:

6 hours ago, tomhaines said:

Having been to Belle Vue on Friday for a very well run Colts and BYC meeting I agree - not all tracks are bad!

If I were a ‘good’ promoter with a well run track I’d be having a word with these ‘poor’ promoters as every farce has an impact on the image of the whole sport and visiting attendances… am I going to try and talk my partner into going to Plymouth now when we are down in Devon after a couple of shambles elsewhere… probably not as their perception is it’s gonna be crap and it’s too much of a risk to waste an evening of holiday.  It’s a lose lose for the sport I’m afraid.

Trust me you and your good lady will have a lovely time at Plymouth we have one queue for season tickets ,one queue for online bookings Scott Nichols said he loved our track the other night, they had a bit of an issue at the start with the PA system but that’s it.I hope because of your Birmingham experience you wouldn’t give up on a nice Devon experience.

• Like 1

This is where for me speedway needs an independent body running the sport.

Birmingham should be fined for delaying the start of the meeting, they had ample time to get the track prepared but failed to do so.

The official reason for abandoning the meeting is lack of medical cover and a 10pm curfue?, so what happens if you have a 4 rider first bend smash where all 4 riders are in need of urgent treatment and all have life threatening injuries?

Most if not all clubs have one st johns ambulance if I'm correct, that is the first change that needs to be made, more medical cover yes it's a cost but you can't have a professional sport running with minimal medical cover

It should be a fine to the brummies for a late start, give clubs say 15 minutes maximum to start later than advertised.

Lack of medical cover should also be a fine, after the first fine then it should be points docked.

I used to run events (different sport) it was notorious for not always starting on time maybe by 10-15 minutes but as said in here the paying public are who matter most, our punters accepted it as its 10-15 minute once it becomes 20-30 or more its unacceptable 

We would have a st John's ambulance plus at an additional cost a professional medical team with what is called an "ambulance car" so any injuries would be assessed by either medics, if it was a non serious injury the person would go to hospital in the ambulance car, if it was a serious injury they would go in the ambulance, with two sets of medics there, at least there would always be one on site to keep the event running, if another competitor required hospitalization with only one medic on site they would be treated while awaiting for an ambulance 

Lack of medical cover in Speedway literally just means the promotion has paid as little as possible to cover the meeting, there is no cost for potentially 1. Saving lives 2. Keeping the meeting running 

Interestingly last nights meeting at Voyens in Denmark was also called off after a few heats due to an unfit track. And they don’t have dogs! 

• Haha 2

Also interesting is that supporters are allowed into tracks before paramedics arrive so if any serious medical issue occurs it's First Aiders or nothing until paramedics arrive! Possibly needs reviewing? :unsure:

41 minutes ago, Bear_Bottom said:

Also interesting is that supporters are allowed into tracks before paramedics arrive so if any serious medical issue occurs it's First Aiders or nothing until paramedics arrive! Possibly needs reviewing? :unsure:

That is no different to many leisure destinations - emergency medical help is summoned as necessary. 

Edited by NeilWatson

What do you expect when Laurence Rogers has something to do with a club, only have to look at his track record to know something is going to go wrong. 

• Like 1