British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM v REDCAR WEDS JUNE 2ND

8 hours ago, tomhaines said:

Having been to Belle Vue on Friday for a very well run Colts and BYC meeting I agree - not all tracks are bad!

If I were a ‘good’ promoter with a well run track I’d be having a word with these ‘poor’ promoters as every farce has an impact on the image of the whole sport and visiting attendances… am I going to try and talk my partner into going to Plymouth now when we are down in Devon after a couple of shambles elsewhere… probably not as their perception is it’s gonna be crap and it’s too much of a risk to waste an evening of holiday.  It’s a lose lose for the sport I’m afraid.

Spot on and nailed one of the biggest issues with the sport. UK speedway is run by individuals with self interests only rather than promoting the sport as  whole and adhering to a base level of acceptability.  Fortunately we are blessed with many clubs who go above and beyond this but their efforts are wasted every time there is a farcical performance by another promotion and what upsets fans most is poorly considered excuses (and Rogers is full of them) If Brum came out and said we have made a mess of the track prep this afternoon but we are trying to put it right some fans might have taken it a little better, delays are annoying but lies are unacceptable  

• Thanks 1

Self interest has IMO  always been the primary consideration for most promotions 

Not sure the track was as bad as 'some' are making out? 

Harris/Wright and even the inexperienced Jenkins didn't have any problems?

As for the delay?

It was Redcar's riders that caused that.....they complained and tried to get the meeting abandoned.

I do think that the result should stand as Redcar were superior once the meeting got underway. 

Nobody was at fault for the Heat 10 crash...it was a 'typical' first bend incident.

Sarjeant jumped the start in Heat 8 and the Ref was too blind to notice.

I send my best wishes to Stewart and hope he's ok, but it looked like a broken leg.

Things I hated about last night.

Programme seller just beyond entrance door causing massive queues.

Bus shelter thingy on start line blocking view.

1 hour delay far too long, just make a decision.

dusty track? Who didn't know it had been hot the last few days.

• Like 2

Delays to injured riders is something we all understand and are willing to tolerate, but to leave your customers standing about for any length of time only watching track prep is totally unacceptable.  

9 hours ago, kitten2502 said:

No - Chris Roynon.

Roynon is now responsible for the track prep at Newcastle, hopefully they wont suffer the same.

15 minutes ago, screm said:

Roynon is now responsible for the track prep at Newcastle, hopefully they wont suffer the same.

Poor Chris was doing his best with limited equipment due to break-ins/vandals....

B'ham management did extremely well to get a track that was ready for racing....under very difficult circumstances.

If there's any spare shale going from 'Somerset', is there any chance we can have it ? :D

So was the track really dusty or patchy? Can't work it out from what people are saying .....

Taken from Ipswich Witches website:-

Jordan Stewart crashed whilst riding for Championship club Redcar and suffered a broken collarbone, dislocated shoulder and broken ribs.

Poor Jordan, awful start to the season for him and not good news for Redcar either.

Get well soon, Jordan

29 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Poor Chris was doing his best with limited equipment due to break-ins/vandals....

B'ham management did extremely well to get a track that was ready for racing....under very difficult circumstances.

If there's any spare shale going from 'Somerset', is there any chance we can have it ? :D

Do they not do plant hire anymore? Didn't start rectifying the track till 19:30, what we're they doing for the 3\4 of an hour I was there at 18:45? All inexcusable!

11 hours ago, Bellers101 said:

British speedway is a joke. I don't think it's worth the effort and money to attend anymore. I give up!

See you next week :lol:

10 hours ago, Trackrat said:

So I attended Perry Barr tonight with 4 new supporters, oh dear, don't think any of us will be going again, absolutely shocking.

I've given up taking new people along, the opportunity for something like this to happen is too great. It's exhausting enough trying to explain to new punters what's going on under normal circumstances without having an hour to "fill"

10 hours ago, tomhaines said:

If I were a ‘good’ promoter with a well run track I’d be having a word with these ‘poor’ promoters as every farce has an impact on the image of the whole sport and visiting attendances…

They should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute... but this seems to be something reserved for the riders

3 hours ago, Falcon1983 said:

The official reason for abandoning the meeting is lack of medical cover and a 10pm curfue?, so what happens if you have a 4 rider first bend smash where all 4 riders are in need of urgent treatment and all have life threatening injuries?

Most if not all clubs have one st johns ambulance if I'm correct, that is the first change that needs to be made, more medical cover yes it's a cost but you can't have a professional sport running with minimal medical cover

It should be a fine to the brummies for a late start, give clubs say 15 minutes maximum to start later than advertised.

Lack of medical cover should also be a fine, after the first fine then it should be points docked.

I used to run events (different sport) it was notorious for not always starting on time maybe by 10-15 minutes but as said in here the paying public are who matter most, our punters accepted it as its 10-15 minute once it becomes 20-30 or more its unacceptable 

We would have a st John's ambulance plus at an additional cost a professional medical team with what is called an "ambulance car" so any injuries would be assessed by either medics, if it was a non serious injury the person would go to hospital in the ambulance car, if it was a serious injury they would go in the ambulance, with two sets of medics there, at least there would always be one on site to keep the event running, if another competitor required hospitalization with only one medic on site they would be treated while awaiting for an ambulance 

Lack of medical cover in Speedway literally just means the promotion has paid as little as possible to cover the meeting, there is no cost for potentially 1. Saving lives 2. Keeping the meeting running 

I had a particular bee in my bonnet about this very subject a couple of years back and started a thread on it on here (which you may find an entertaining read) this was after a couple of incidents within a couple of weeks at KL & Peterborough (from memory). I have never been back to KL since and won't again until it's their policy to have at least 2 ambulances present on site.

23 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Not really a laughing matter :nono:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Trees said:

So was the track really dusty or patchy? Can't work it out from what people are saying .....

It was dusty as you'd expect from a very dry last few days.....no water went down once the meeting got underway, but I think that's because of the broken equipment, or may be because rain was forecast ? also the time limits must have been in the back of promoters minds?

The track was fine if you attacked it like the Redcar boys did......

If you watched Harris and Wright, who both made great passes in certain heats, you wouldn't think there was any track problems?

32 minutes ago, iainb said:

See you next week :lol:

I've given up taking new people along, the opportunity for something like this to happen is too great. It's exhausting enough trying to explain to new punters what's going on under normal circumstances without having an hour to "fill"

They should be charged with bringing the sport into disrepute... but this seems to be something reserved for the riders

I had a particular bee in my bonnet about this very subject a couple of years back and started a thread on it on here (which you may find an entertaining read) this was after a couple of incidents within a couple of weeks at KL & Peterborough (from memory). I have never been back to KL since and won't again until it's their policy to have at least 2 ambulances present on site.

Not really a laughing matter :nono:

Who's laughing ???....if Somerset are losing their venue, why wouldn't it be feasible to use the shale elsewhere ?

Edited by GiveusaB

27 minutes ago, Trackrat said:

Do they not do plant hire anymore? Didn't start rectifying the track till 19:30, what we're they doing for the 3\4 of an hour I was there at 18:45? All inexcusable!

The track was ready to go at 7.30pm....Redcar riders made a massive issue about it not being rideable...

I'm not a track technician, so we will have to wait for a club statement about proceedings......may be ?

From what I could see/tell....may be the track was watered with hoses and it wasn't evenly spread, causing some 'soft' patches in places ?

Once racing started, there was no track issues at all apart from 'dust' and rider trepidation.