British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM v REDCAR WEDS JUNE 2ND

2 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The track was ready to go at 7.30pm....Redcar riders made a massive issue about it not being rideable...

I'm not a track technician, so we will have to wait for a club statement about proceedings......may be ?

From what I could see/tell....may be the track was watered with hoses and it wasn't evenly spread, causing some 'soft' patches in places ?

Once racing started, there was no track issues at all apart from 'dust' and rider trepidation.

Full statement on the Birmingham website.

That the match has to be rerun is a disgrace, the race could have been awarded given that the Birmingham rider was excluded. Also the time ran out NOT because of the racing incident but because the track was not ready ? The meeting could never have been finished by 10 pm , ,therefore they should not be given this second chance of a re run

Given that the greyhound meeting finished at 12:59 how much time do they require to prepare the track .?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

The track was ready to go at 7.30pm....Redcar riders made a massive issue about it not being rideable...

I'm not a track technician, so we will have to wait for a club statement about proceedings......may be ?

From what I could see/tell....may be the track was watered with hoses and it wasn't evenly spread, causing some 'soft' patches in places ?

Once racing started, there was no track issues at all apart from 'dust' and rider trepidation.

Yes riders can at times have a prima donna streak but prep the track so there is no debates. A small soft patch or wetter areas than others won't stop riders taking to the track it will just cause them to grumble a bit. If the track was "slushy" as listed on the statement then the away team had every right to complain as the watering had gone badly wrong and in fairness would have been entirely evident at 5pm 6pm and so on so why was it left until prior to the start to try and resolve it?

As earlier posters have stated if a track isn't in a raceable agreed condition 30minutes after the agreed start time then the match should be abandoned, full refunds issued and the paying public not left woefully short changed 

Laurence Rogers, a man duped by an Eastern European woman on Facebook probably isn't the person I'd want making day to day decisions at my club to be honest.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

its a superb facility and one we really really can't afford to lose. Surely its in the interests of BSPA Ltd to support the club with loans of equipment, etc. Talk of fining the club is only going to push it nearer the exit door. Isn't there a track inspector - shouldn't he be there today with the management ensuring this doesn't happen again.

Oh and it shouldn't be re run imo

• Like 2

Reading the statement http://www.birmingham-speedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.2997 it is clear to me (a mere outsider), that the meeting should have been called off days ago and rearranged for when Redcar are there in the League (i.e making it the Cup match instead).

“Firstly we had an unexpected issue with our temporary stand zones which delayed admission a bit"

"We had to delay the start for around an hour or so while some work was carried out but it’s not an easy task on limited resources as well as being up against the clock."

“Don’t forget as well the track hasn’t been used for 18 months or so and press and practice last week was the first time we’d had the opportunity to get bikes back out there and try and turn the track over."

“We’ve been working a hell of a lot on the track lately but we have to admit that we’re struggling massively when it comes to equipment and resources too. With the break-ins and the fire vandalism, we’ve got two essential pieces of equipment still being repaired."

“On the day itself as well, because of the greyhound trials that were happening on Wednesday this week, we couldn’t get to work on the track properly until after 2pm. That was far from ideal and with it being 26 degrees, no sooner were we getting water onto the track it was drying up more-or-less instantly."

The last two quotes say to me "We couldn't prepare the track properly in the time we had."  They knew about these problems well before yesterday and therefore should have called it off IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So called fans slating B'ham is a bigger disgrace than B'ham trying their hardest to get the meeting on and struggling..... especially considering how far Redcar had travelled.

A lot of bodies associated with B'ham have been working tirelessly for the last 2/3 months to try and get things ready for the season.....there's more to a speedway club than a race track that has to be 'passed' off......

Mistakes happen and as long as lessons are learnt, what more can people do?

Trying to punish/penalise the club financially is a disgrace.....

Sticking the boot in when the sport is already down doesn't bode well IMO!

Give Redcar the win and move on! (blame BSPA for demanding a re-schedule....I bet nobody from B'ham wants it)

40 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Reading the statement http://www.birmingham-speedway.com/_mobile/news.php?extend.2997 it is clear to me (a mere outsider), that the meeting should have been called off days ago and rearranged for when Redcar are there in the League (i.e making it the Cup match instead).

“Firstly we had an unexpected issue with our temporary stand zones which delayed admission a bit"

"We had to delay the start for around an hour or so while some work was carried out but it’s not an easy task on limited resources as well as being up against the clock."

“Don’t forget as well the track hasn’t been used for 18 months or so and press and practice last week was the first time we’d had the opportunity to get bikes back out there and try and turn the track over."

“We’ve been working a hell of a lot on the track lately but we have to admit that we’re struggling massively when it comes to equipment and resources too. With the break-ins and the fire vandalism, we’ve got two essential pieces of equipment still being repaired."

“On the day itself as well, because of the greyhound trials that were happening on Wednesday this week, we couldn’t get to work on the track properly until after 2pm. That was far from ideal and with it being 26 degrees, no sooner were we getting water onto the track it was drying up more-or-less instantly."

The last two quotes say to me "We couldn't prepare the track properly in the time we had."  They knew about these problems well before yesterday and therefore should have called it off IMO.

“the visitors in particular weren’t too happy with the track.

'You missed that part of your quote' !

11 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

“the visitors in particular weren’t too happy with the track.

'You missed that part of your quote' !

Get it right both team's was not happy with the track,  so don't  just blame redcar's riders THATS FACT. 

Edited by Trackerman48
Missed some words

15 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

So called fans slating B'ham is a bigger disgrace than B'ham trying their hardest to get the meeting on and struggling..... especially considering how far Redcar had travelled.

A lot of bodies associated with B'ham have been working tirelessly for the last 2/3 months to try and get things ready for the season.....there's more to a speedway club than a race track that has to be 'passed' off......

Mistakes happen and as long as lessons are learnt, what more can people do?

Trying to punish/penalise the club financially is a disgrace.....

Sticking the boot in when the sport is already down doesn't bode well IMO!

Give Redcar the win and move on! (blame BSPA for demanding a re-schedule....I bet nobody from B'ham wants it)

But the track is rather important, is it not?

15 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

Get it right both team's was not happy with the track,  so don't  just blame redcar's riders THATS FACT. 

Quoting from Club statement.

Just one more reason to go back to the old upright style of bikes, back then meetings went ahead more often than not, the laydowns seem only capable of being ridden on a perfect track and the riders now have that notion cemented firmly in their subconscious.

But there is some contradictions to what i have read on here, one point saying they could not get water on the track, whilst also reading the riders didnt want to ride because the track was too wet.

If it was too dry, that's not an argument, most practice days are held in dust bowl conditions, far worse than you would ever likely see in a real time match.

Ok - so what happened , happened - as has been said lessons need to be learnt and I don't think anyone wants to see Birmingham put in a position which threatens their participation.

I would suggest Birmingham need to look at doing the following

1. Haven't seen what was said about ticket refunds etc - so offer all those with tickets for last night to rebook for next redcar match, or get money back

2. Get onto Swindon and/or Somerset and see about loaning some equipment, if that is main problem then get something in place - otherwise get onto Wolverhampton and borrow whatever necessary to get track sorted.

3. Depending on result tomorrow night at Redcar, look at advising BSPA that they concede this tie - fixture lists are crammed and no doubt there will be rain-offs to fit in, don't want cup dragging on as usually happens

4. Finally next home meeting have a collection for Jordan Stewart - not suggesting Birmingham in anyway responsible for his injuries, but it would just be a good gesture.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, marko said:

Just one more reason to go back to the old upright style of bikes, back then meetings went ahead more often than not, the laydowns seem only capable of being ridden on a perfect track and the riders now have that notion cemented firmly in their subconscious.

But there is some contradictions to what i have read on here, one point saying they could not get water on the track, whilst also reading the riders didnt want to ride because the track was too wet.

If it was too dry, that's not an argument, most practice days are held in dust bowl conditions, far worse than you would ever likely see in a real time match.

It was both. Not watered properly. Probably done with a watering can.

21 minutes ago, marko said:

Not being disrespectful but thats never happening so the solution is just prepare the track properly...

• Like 1