British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM v REDCAR WEDS JUNE 2ND

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

So called fans slating B'ham is a bigger disgrace than B'ham trying their hardest to get the meeting on and struggling..... especially considering how far Redcar had travelled.

A lot of bodies associated with B'ham have been working tirelessly for the last 2/3 months to try and get things ready for the season.....there's more to a speedway club than a race track that has to be 'passed' off......

Mistakes happen and as long as lessons are learnt, what more can people do?

Trying to punish/penalise the club financially is a disgrace.....

Sticking the boot in when the sport is already down doesn't bode well IMO!

Give Redcar the win and move on! (blame BSPA for demanding a re-schedule....I bet nobody from B'ham wants it)

“So called fans” are paying customers. This notion that “fans” owe the tracks something is a problem with speedway… if the product is poor then “so called fans” become former fans. If McDonalds consistently served you cold food would you keep going back just because of goodwill? Of course not, a Speedway club is a business and businesses need to do all they can to retain and increase their customer base - not rely on that goodwill which will run out eventually and not sustain your business.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

Quoting from Club statement.

Which of course will be TOTALLY impartial and unbiased.

• Haha 1

Never ben totally sure on this point so excuse my ignorance, but how is medical cover worked out/organised/paid for?  Speedway is the only sport I know where if a rider needs treatment the meeting is effectively stopped, sometimes for ages.  If you're new to the sport/occasional visitor then it would certainly put you off returning again when meetings can drag on for 2-3 hours when an incident happens.

As an exiled Eagle living in Birmingham I have some sympathy that the opening meeting went badly, but they've had plenty of time to make the track right and if they were struggling for equipment, why didn't they try and source some from other tracks/promotions?

1 hour ago, tomhaines said:

“So called fans” are paying customers. This notion that “fans” owe the tracks something is a problem with speedway… if the product is poor then “so called fans” become former fans. If McDonalds consistently served you cold food would you keep going back just because of goodwill? Of course not, a Speedway club is a business and businesses need to do all they can to retain and increase their customer base - not rely on that goodwill which will run out eventually and not sustain your business.

I agree with your point of view....nobody is suggesting that fans owe clubs anything.... may be some of us old gits are more hardcore than others.....but to want to penalise promoters, who are most likely already out of pocket is a scandalous suggestion IMO!

I don't think Peter and David Mason are running our club to make a living.....they're doing it out of passion for the sport!

They need our backing to survive and mistakes or no mistakes, they have my gratitude and support unconditionally!

Edited by GiveusaB
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, RPNY said:

Not being disrespectful but thats never happening so the solution is just prepare the track properly...

its not going to happen because no one's in charge other than the riders who, not unreasonably will use any tech they're allowed to. They shouldn't have been allowed. If the sport is slowed down a few miles an hour, no one would even notice. Modern bikes look rubbishe too

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, solrac said:

Never ben totally sure on this point so excuse my ignorance, but how is medical cover worked out/organised/paid for?  Speedway is the only sport I know where if a rider needs treatment the meeting is effectively stopped, sometimes for ages.  If you're new to the sport/occasional visitor then it would certainly put you off returning again when meetings can drag on for 2-3 hours when an incident happens.

As an exiled Eagle living in Birmingham I have some sympathy that the opening meeting went badly, but they've had plenty of time to make the track right and if they were struggling for equipment, why didn't they try and source some from other tracks/promotions?

I believe each meeting has 2 Ambulances in attendance.....One for hospital emergencies, whilst the other one stays and covers.

If both have to leave, then the meeting would be stopped until cover is in place.

I don't know if what I'm saying is correct, but that's what I think happens?

The issue is often not ambulances but legal medical red tape that holds meetings up when a rider needs to go to hospital.

As once a paramedic/doctor has administered controlled drugs like Morphine or inserted a cannula for fluids then that individual has to stay with them until handed over to county ambulance or goes with them to hospital.

At Leicester we have had two ambulances and two paramedics for some meetings and had an incident but still had delays as SCB will only allow one medical officer 

12 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I believe each meeting has 2 Ambulances in attendance.....One for hospital emergencies, whilst the other one stays and covers.

If both have to leave, then the meeting would be stopped until cover is in place.

I don't know if what I'm saying is correct, but that's what I think happens?

Two ambulances are not a requirement, one ambulance plus a medical room is acceptable, but a second ambulance is often present in lieu of the medical room.

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Thanks 1

Well I don't really know where to start...

The road system approaching Perry Barr (from M6) is an absolute mess, nothing to do with the stadium it's being redeveloped for Commonwealth Games.  Ended up parking on some urban road as getting to the OneStop car park would have taken forever with the queues.   It occurred to me on the way that the Stadium could be in the new innercity clean air zone, but it isn't - helpful sign saying the clean air zone starts in 2 miles - so at least no additional charge!

The queuing system for season ticket holders wasn't good, pay on the night customers were streaming past us.
It was announced that the start was delayed due to track prep shortly before 19:30, but not a soul had been working on the track prior to that and we'd been in the stadium from about 19:15.  Still took about 10 further minutes before the tractor appeared.  Then the tractor swapped its equipment for a blade about 30 minutes later (swapped by Chris Harris I think), a few laps with the blade and a bit of raking from the limited number of track staff (& Charles Wright).
Finally racing was underway about 20:45....  It was clear the riders were not happy with bends 3 & 4, with a few exceptions almost all of them switched off to enter the bend - Thomas & Sarjeant almost came to a complete stand still.
Then the dust began - no sign of any water being put down.
Tractor came out.  But no water.
There were actually a few decent races - Harris v Allen, Palm Toft going from 4th to 2nd and giving chase to Riss.  But it was mostly Bears going around Brummies who were sticking frigidly to the inside.
Despite the riders reservations with turns 3 & 4, Morris & Grobauer/Stewert both fell on turn 1.  Didn't see the second incident properly due to the dust cloud.
At that point it was 21:40 so I left, expecting the meeting to be abandoned.

Feel sorry for the travelling Redcar fans, a long way to drive for a none event.

48 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I agree with your point of view....nobody is suggesting that fans owe clubs anything.... may be some of us old gits are more hardcore than others.....but to want to penalise promoters, who are most likely already out of pocket is a scandalous suggestion IMO!

Peter and David Mason aren't running our club to make a living.....they're doing it out of passion for the sport!

They need our backing to survive and mistakes or no mistakes, they have my gratitude and support unconditionally!

Perhaps therein lies the problem. In “the good old days”, them there great promoters like Charles Ochiltree, Ronnie Greene, etc WERE in it to make a living, hence their insistence on running a professional outfit and their valuing their customers, in order to maximise their income.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

Perhaps therein lies the problem. In “the good old days”, them there great promoters like Charles Ochiltree, Ronnie Greene, etc WERE in it to make a living, hence their insistence on running a professional outfit and their valuing their customers, in order to maximise their income.

Ochiltree was a promoting legend.... but I think even he'd struggle in todays 'speedway world' !

the modern engine has ruined the sport in this country (IMO)

• Like 1

Redcar have issued a statement too

Redcar Speedway would like to thank all the fans in attendance at Perry Barr last night on what was a hugely frustrating evening.

Contrary to a press release made elsewhere earlier today, there were huge concerns from both sides in relation to track conditions, not just from Redcar. To the credit of the riders, they showed patience and asked for track work to be done to improve the situation, due to concerns for their own health and safety - we strongly believe this was justified and support the stance they took, as they have every right to expect a safe surface to race on.

Under increasing pressure, racing began after a delay lasting over an hour, but sadly resulted in serious injury to Jordan Stewart in heat 10. We feel as a club, we did everything possible to assist in making last night a success and to get the meeting finished, though we question whether the meeting should have gone ahead in the first place.

We have appealed to the SCB regarding the result, which we believe should stand. The meeting was abandoned as a direct result of the delay and the inadequate track preparation - under no circumstances should Redcar Speedway suffer due to the errors of the home promotion. Mistakes happen and we accept that, but responsibly needs to be taken and a just outcome reached. It is a fact that Redcar would have been leading by at least 8 points after heat 10.

Finally, we would like to wish our rider and friend Jordan Stewart a speedy recovery and best wishes. He is currently awaiting surgery on his collarbone and shoulder. To say we are gutted by his situation would be an understatement.

3 hours ago, GiveusaB said:

“the visitors in particular weren’t too happy with the track.

'You missed that part of your quote' !

"The visitors in particular," which means some Birmingham riders weren't happy either.

Also it says “On the day itself as well, because of the greyhound trials that were happening on Wednesday this week..." That'll be the BAGS meeting, that happen EVERY Wednesday and will continue to do so throughout the year, meaning the track staff won't get on to the speedway track until after the last race at 159pm for every home meeting this season.

33 minutes ago, StevePark said:

"The visitors in particular," which means some Birmingham riders weren't happy either.

Also it says “On the day itself as well, because of the greyhound trials that were happening on Wednesday this week..." That'll be the BAGS meeting, that happen EVERY Wednesday and will continue to do so throughout the year, meaning the track staff won't get on to the speedway track until after the last race at 159pm for every home meeting this season.

Sounds like the “only in speedway” shambles.The fans will turn up next week anyway attitude.There are getting fewer “ mug fans “ as the older generation depart though.

• Like 1