British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Speedway fan

BIRMINGHAM v REDCAR WEDS JUNE 2ND

The track at Birmingham when prepared good can produce some good racing too, especially if they get a good outside working. 

Track preparation is always going to be more of a problem for those clubs who are of necessity, subserviant to Greyhound racing. No disrespect at all to Redcar, but they are one of the fortunate clubs who do not have this problem. The GRA who until recently, were the landlords at Birmingham, were always co-operative, providing whatever was planned had no detrimental effect on greyhound racing - just as an example, numerous visiting supporters have queried why there is no roof on one section of the temporary stand on the first bend. The reason is, that the roof obstructed the view of part of a small part of the dog track, so it had to be removed.

The stadium's new owners (so I am told) are less knowledgeable about speedway, so can be expected to be more cautious on what they will allow and what they won't, at least until they are more familiar with the speedway operation, but certainly as far as Perry Barr is concerned, there is never likely to be a situation whereby the speedway people would be allowed unlimited access on any day and at any time.

24 minutes ago, brianbuck said:

Track preparation is always going to be more of a problem for those clubs who are of necessity, subserviant to Greyhound racing. No disrespect at all to Redcar, but they are one of the fortunate clubs who do not have this problem. The GRA who until recently, were the landlords at Birmingham, were always co-operative, providing whatever was planned had no detrimental effect on greyhound racing - just as an example, numerous visiting supporters have queried why there is no roof on one section of the temporary stand on the first bend. The reason is, that the roof obstructed the view of part of a small part of the dog track, so it had to be removed.

The stadium's new owners (so I am told) are less knowledgeable about speedway, so can be expected to be more cautious on what they will allow and what they won't, at least until they are more familiar with the speedway operation, but certainly as far as Perry Barr is concerned, there is never likely to be a situation whereby the speedway people would be allowed unlimited access on any day and at any time.

This situation has been a thorn in Speedway's side since time immemorial. In day past, dog racing was restricted to 3 meetings a week by law,  But that

is far from the case these days.  No restriction on numbers and far fewer tracks has resulted in many more meetings at all tracks.  The knock on effect

is less prep' time for Speedway. So, on odd occasions we are bound to see things that are less than perfect.  It's either that or no Speedway. To be fair, on

the whole the various track curators handle the situation well and should be congratulated for their work.  Never seen it on this forum !!!!!

On 6/3/2021 at 10:27 AM, GiveusaB said:

The track was ready to go at 7.30pm....Redcar riders made a massive issue about it not being rideable...

I'm not a track technician, so we will have to wait for a club statement about proceedings......may be ?

From what I could see/tell....may be the track was watered with hoses and it wasn't evenly spread, causing some 'soft' patches in places ?

Once racing started, there was no track issues at all apart from 'dust' and rider trepidation.

That explains it then, they did a Poole on it ....... 

A good  race track last night, plenty of passing & close racing. Just my opinion but bend 2 exit looked rough/rutted from my position on back straight. Main match handled it ok but the second half didn’t. Experience I presume. 

39 minutes ago, Biffa said:

A good  race track last night, plenty of passing & close racing. Just my opinion but bend 2 exit looked rough/rutted from my position on back straight. Main match handled it ok but the second half didn’t. Experience I presume. 

I think you'll find they just aren't used to dirt. And with the way the weather was, and the pressure of producing a brilliant track to combat Wednesday it was quite grippy!

18 hours ago, Biffa said:

A good  race track last night, plenty of passing & close racing. ... Main match handled it ok but the second half didn’t. 

Now I'm confused. Is this the same meeting that we're talking about here? By "second half" are you referring to heat's 5-9, after which point the meeting was abandoned? According to Speedway Updates, only 2 races out of the 9 had any overtaking at all - https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/20052/redcar-championship-koc-02-2021 

30 minutes ago, uk_martin said:

Now I'm confused. Is this the same meeting that we're talking about here? By "second half" are you referring to heat's 5-9, after which point the meeting was abandoned? According to Speedway Updates, only 2 races out of the 9 had any overtaking at all - https://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/thread/20052/redcar-championship-koc-02-2021 

Martin think they are talking about the meeting at redcar?

• Like 1

On 6/3/2021 at 6:37 PM, Petecc said:

Sorry to put you right but, that was the last bags meeting on a Wednesday. Hopefully by next week the problems with the tractors will have been fixed.

Sorry to put you right, but here are today's (9th June) results from the BAGS Meeting:

https://greyhoundbet.racingpost.com/#result-meeting/track_id=62&r_date=2021-06-09&r_time=11:13

• Haha 1

Quote from this weeks Brummie prog by Chris Harris.  quote  " Ive ridden plenty of tracks that have  been a a lot worse than Birmingham was last Wednesday but I have been around a lot longer than some of these boys nowdays I guess.  I know I'll probably get moaned at but when its like that, you've just got to use your head a bit more but you can still race." un quote