British Speedway Forum
Al Stewart

Edinburgh v Newcastle (KO Cup) Friday 4th June

Well done Newcastle maybe not the whipping boys some thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JanAndersen said:

The blue and gold by 30. Just don’t see this being a contest I’m afraid. 

Good job you don’t know what your talking about haha 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, Mr Blobby said:

We were truly awful tonight. Thankfully it was only Newcastle. Josh, Nathan and William not at it all. 
Don’t think it’s possible to ride worse than we did tonight this season.

Bit disrespectful to Newcastle just maybe they had something to do with you being awful it might be they made you look like that.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Bit disrespectful to Newcastle just maybe they had something to do with you being awful it might be they made you look like that.

made ourselves look like that tonight. Wright was good for them I’ll give them that.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

We were truly awful tonight. Thankfully it was only Newcastle. Josh, Nathan and William not at it all. 

Thats breathtakingly arrogant . Maybe those riders weren't at it because the opposition rode well and didn't allow them.to be at it 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Thats breathtakingly arrogant . Maybe those riders weren't at it because the opposition rode well and didn't allow them.to be at it 

Wasn’t meant to come across as arrogant. We just weren’t at it tonight at all. Newcastle were extremely average at best. Apart from Wright who was good value for money. 

however can only beat what’s in front of you as they say.

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Wasn’t meant to come across as arrogant. We just weren’t at it tonight at all. Newcastle were extremely average at best. Apart from Wright who was good value for money. 

however can only beat what’s in front of you as they say.

Actually you beat what's behind you. :t::drink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Maybe early days but I question why the promotion let James Sarjeant go and retained Willie Lawson.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Endeavour said:

Maybe early days but I question why the promotion let James Sarjeant go and retained Willie Lawson.

Probably couldn’t afford a full season of purchasing tapes.

• Like 1

I do think Mr Blobby is being unfair to Newcastle (unusually because he is usually the wisest man on the BSF) because Mountain, Roynon, Clegg and Wethers as well as Wright were all good - too good for all except Masters and Worrall.

It's true that we were bad though.

Edited by Al Stewart

4 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

I think that's harsh on 2 of the 3 names you quoted there.

Without wanting to disrespect some of their riders too much, Newcastle are a team that has no top end, but does have a solid middle to bottom end.

Against a team like that, I would expect the Edinburgh top end to completely dominate at home, but would expect the mid to lower end to have a harder time. The scoring was close to what everyone expected apart from one rider in the Monarchs team...

After that, you can probably guess which 1 of the 3 names I think really didn't deliver tonight...If 4 points had been 12 points, the scoreline would have been far more like what everyone expected.

Edit - I used "everyone" a couple of times when I probably meant "I"...Apparently I think my views are the views of the general population...and that's probably far from true :rolleyes:

Edited by HenryW

Not sure what went wrong for Edinburgh tonight but just as well Kyle Howarth was a poor guest for Newcastle. At 36-36 after heat 12, Edinburgh were unlikely to lose as they should power to 5-1s at home in 13 and 15, which proved the case. 
The score that really shows what happened is the last places: Edinburgh won that 10-5. 
James Wright might have been top scorer for Newcastle, but he didn’t really beat anyone that he shouldn’t have. It was the strong overall scoring by Newcastle that kept this close with a special mention due to Adam Roynon on what I’d guess was his first meeting at Armadale for a very long time.

Edinburgh management will have expressed their disappointment at the performance of some of the team so the return leg is likely to be a different story. I’d expect an aggregate Edinburgh win unless Newcastle can field a competitive number one. Even then, it’s likely to be close. 

id say if kyle had a better night score MAY have been different , all the same quite happy with our performance as weve gone to edinburgh with stronger teams and got nowt 

16 hours ago, andys said:

Don't bother trying to guess lottery numbers this weekend... Excellent performance from the diamonds 

Yup I was well wrong. The diamonds put up a great showing. 

• Like 2