British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Haywood

Pride Month

I note that it is Pride Month and wondered what Speedway clubs are doing to celebrate this, if anything anything?

Ice Hockey had a Pride Weekend and it was a great success.

https://www.eliteleague.co.uk/article/827-eihl-s-pride-weekend-arguably-most-impactful-in-pro-hockey

I was a bit sceptical at first and didn't really understand the concept. And, to be honest, I couldn't even tell you what all the initials in the acronym LGBTQ+ stand for.

But all the players and fans really embraced the concept and I did find it helped my engagement as a fan, even though I have been a season ticket holder for the Guildford Flames for 15 years. I soon realised it was just about celebrating difference and coming together as a community. It really made me feel I was, in a small way, a part of a community I was genuinely proud to be a part of.

It also helped turn a standard League match into more of a special occasion.

Definitely seems to be an idea worth considering.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I am all for happy speedway riders shaking hands after a close race.  Happy riders make happy fans.  Let’s go for it.

What a crock of rubbish. 

• Like 6

I used to like Mothers Pride but prefer Warburtons now. B)

• Haha 5

12 hours ago, Trevor said:

I don't think Speedway should go down the 'adopt a trendy cause month'. Other sports feel compelled to display how virtuous they are, kneel for this, stand for that, wave for the other etc. 

Where does it end? Colour blind awareness month (No red, green lights)

Left, Right, history month, where riders ride clockwise, then anticlockwise in alternate heats. 

Empathy for loosers month, where the rider finishing last gets four points?

Enough of this wokery.

So are you saying Speedway has such a massive fan base it doesn't need to do this? Whereas a struggling minority sport like Ice Hockey need to do something a bit more to bring the fans in?

Guildford Flames average around 1800 per game and have over 500 season ticket holders (pre covid). I am sure there are a few Speedway clubs who would like to be in that position.  And the big arenas teams such as Sheffield and Nottingham have a lot bigger crowds.

I am sure Colour Blindness is a cause well worth highlighting and Colour Blind Awareness Day is in September so could fit nicely for the end of season for a non-Playoff team. Sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

Guest compost
9 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Why is being gay worth celebrating?? 

We're all the same, we should treat all as the same. 

It would also be classed as Homophobic if there was such a thing as 'straight pride'.

If the OPs Pride month is allowed isn't that positive discrimination if 'straight pride' isn't ? 

Nothing phobic just if it's okay for the goose why not for the gander (you get my drift) ?

And why a month (colour blindness only gets a day) ? The beeb have already had a month for this plus another for blm too this year.

14 hours ago, Trevor said:

I don't think Speedway should go down the 'adopt a trendy cause month'. Other sports feel compelled to display how virtuous they are, kneel for this, stand for that, wave for the other etc. 

Where does it end? Colour blind awareness month (No red, green lights)

Left, Right, history month, where riders ride clockwise, then anticlockwise in alternate heats. 

Empathy for loosers month, where the rider finishing last gets four points?

Enough of this wokery.

Speedway could do with adopting any cause it possibly can, to be honest. Surely speedway needs to be trendy.

People need to remember that it is only in my own lifetime that homosexuality has even become legal, so you must admit there is something of a legitimate cause here.

The right for gay people to join the armed forces was only officially lifted as recently as 2016.

Gay Pride may not be your sort of thing, but you have to acknowledge the reasoning behind it surely.

• Like 2

Guest compost
47 minutes ago, Grachan said:

1. The right for gay people to join the armed forces was only officially lifted as recently as 2016.

2. Gay Pride may not be your sort of thing, but you have to acknowledge the reasoning behind it surely.

1. This was lifted for openly same sex etc. not closet - if you said and did nothing you could still join up and a number did.  Don't forget that it was also around this time that women were first recruited into combat posts in the British and US armies (I can't be bothered to check the actual dates) so it was a time of change (and falling recruitment numbers resulting in a more 'open' approach to fill places).

2. Only if there was allowed to be 'straight pride' as well, and there isn't.  Fair to all and equal to all, equally.

3 minutes ago, compost said:

1. This was lifted for openly same sex etc. not closet - if you said and did nothing you could still join up and a number did.  Don't forget that it was also around this time that women were first recruited into combat posts in the British and US armies (I can't be bothered to check the actual dates) so it was a time of change (and falling recruitment numbers resulting in a more 'open' approach to fill places).

2. Only if there was allowed to be 'straight pride' as well, and there isn't.  Fair to all and equal to all, equally.

1 - So that's descrimination then.

2 - Where does it say that there's not allowed to be a straight pride?

• Like 1

Maybe a MOWMO awards .... Music of White Male Origin. In the interests of fairness.

13 hours ago, Daniel Smith said:

Why is being gay worth celebrating?? 

We're all the same, we should treat all as the same. 

It would also be classed as Homophobic if there was such a thing as 'straight pride'.

See this is the average intellect of the Speedway fan and I have to say organisers/promoters too.  Speedway is dying out and a large part of the reason is that many people involved in the sport are as thick as sh*t

• Like 2
  • Sad 1