British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Belle Vue v Ipswich 7 June

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Yes it uses Bluetooth to monitor who you are close to, think you have to be close to them for over 10 mins, so just waking past someone wouldn’t log etc. You can turn it off in the app, it’s called contact tracing.

Incorrect, it’s the main way the app works using Bluetooth. It’s not going to be done by just checking in to a venue, as they not going to tell 1000 people to isolate as don’t know who been close to who. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nhs-covid-19-app-has-been-downloaded-over-10-million-times

Thanks Rob, and that makes it all sound very logical.

More so, as I now have found out that of 5 of us sat in various locations within Block D on Monday night - and had checked in via the QR code - just 3 have received the message from the App.

However, I'm now thinking I'm not fully seeing the wood from the trees here!! If it is the App's Bluetooth monitoring ability that detects and notifies you to isolate e.g., after it has detected that you have been near someone in a stadium for at least 10 mins and that person later tests positive - then why is there a need for checking-in via the QR code? The QR code must do something else I presume then?

I'm presuming too that those attendees who don't have the App, don't check-in via the QR code, and have their details taken by the NSS staff that these details must include their seat locations?

5 minutes ago, BarracudaAce said:

Thanks Rob, and that makes it all sound very logical.

More so, as I now have found out that of 5 of us sat in various locations within Block D on Monday night - and had checked in via the QR code - just 3 have received the message from the App.

However, I'm now thinking I'm not fully seeing the wood from the trees here!! If it is the App's Bluetooth monitoring ability that detects and notifies you to isolate e.g., after it has detected that you have been near someone in a stadium for at least 10 mins and that person later tests positive - then why is there a need for checking-in via the QR code? The QR code must do something else I presume then?

I'm presuming too that those attendees who don't have the App, don't check-in via the QR code, and have their details taken by the NSS staff that these details must include their seat locations?

That is something that I was wondering about the ‘check in’ too. I thought that originally was more designed for small cafes and restaurants etc so they had a record who was in a what times.

At a big venue they are not going to tell everyone to isolate, my mate doesn’t have the app and has to give his name and number and stands in south stand, they have no idea who he is near. I get the feeling it’s just a stipulation that the council making them do. 

https://faq.covid19.nhs.uk/article/KA-01312/en-us?parentid=CAT-01033&rootid=