British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolves v Sheffield 7th June 2021

Just watched the meeting.

Pete Adams makes me laugh. I like him and fair play to him for saying sorry on live TV. 

Josh Bates is still a clown. Why teams sign him is baffling to me because he always takes himself out of a meeting within 2 programmed rides.

Wolves will be in good hands with the American lads for a good few years.

Sheffield need to make a team change to be considered title challengers imo. Sedgmen, Bates & Wright is a weak tail.

Racing is what you expect around Arlington............Sorry I mean Monmore.

1 hour ago, Bald Bloke said:

I'm sure you have. But it's to tight for me. Trick track for sure. Mildenhall is tiny, but the shape allows for the riders to keep some speed coming into the turns.Just my opinion:t:

Monmore can produce some great racing, but it  needs to be prepared right & have riders that are not intimidated by it. There is sadly a lack of such riders in the UK league.

• Like 2

Small technical tracks really are starting to look absolutely terrible in modern day speedway. 

A shocking advert for the sport tbh. 

• Like 5

Just now, Col said:

Monmore can produce some great racing, but it  needs to be prepared right & have riders that are not intimidated by it. There is sadly a lack of such riders in the UK league.

I think that is a fair comment. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a blue groove. Obviously we have lost a lot with Doc Bridgett not being able to do the track prep. He was a master at it and won many track of the year awards and we've had  brilliant racing. Therefore the shape is not the problem................

13 minutes ago, acef said:

Small technical tracks really are starting to look absolutely terrible in modern day speedway. 

A shocking advert for the sport tbh. 

Yes, what we want is long track racing where the only determinant is how tuned the engine is and there is 50 yards between the first and fourth rider.  Throttle control and the ability to turn the bike consigned to the past. Also let's dispense with variety, let's have homogenised identikit tracks. The way forward, yeah.

Edited by Beowulf

5 hours ago, Beowulf said:

I think that is a fair comment. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a blue groove. Obviously we have lost a lot with Doc Bridgett not being able to do the track prep. He was a master at it and won many track of the year awards and we've had  brilliant racing. Therefore the shape is not the problem................

When I used to attend Monmore regularly to watch the Aces, and some weeks as a neutral when the Aces didn't have a match on, during the nineties, the track was always very grippy on the outside from around mid track, and made for some excellent racing...

I think two fundamental things have changed since then..

One is the second turn fence being reshaped which pretty much lost the outside run on that turn, and two is the fact the modern bikes don't handle the deeper conditions well...

In the last 20 years or so, the best meetings.have been when Monmore has been wet, which is similar to how Kirky Lane went, a track not to much different in shape..

Usually meaning the dirt is scraped off and riders don't ride full on gas and don't then have to pull sudden full lockers, which can spit them off around such a tight track, or snap chains..

As you say Doc Bridgett was a key factor, but for me, the standard of rider is too..

Josh Bates last night for example was taking about four goes at each bend to try and get round, and some of the lower orders of both teams seemed to be concentrating more on staying on rather than racing...

Which will never deliver any entertainment, and provide what we had, which was lots of very strung out races...

When the heat leaders rode against each other the racing improved but when any track goes from blue groove to grip within a few feet, it must very difficult to focus on much more than completing races, rather than actually racing, even for the better lads..

And given the way modern machinery seems to have to be ridden 'full gas' it must be very difficult for any track staff to prepare such a tight circuit with exactly the correct amount of grip to provide close racing without providing additional risks to the riders too...

Edit: It did amuse me seeing critical comments from a Poole fan...

At least the lads at Monmore last night didn't have to decide if they had to 'double' or 'triple' any 'whoops' on the back straight ....  :D

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 2

Not the greatest meeting at Monmore, a track that can produce good speedway. 

As for comparing Monmore to Poole, the last few times i've been to Wimbourne Rd riders have needed moto x suspension, bouncing into the bends on a surface far worse than last nights.

However, i agree they do need to put things right. Wolverhampton council are not helping in any way shape or form either, the crowd limit is ridiculously low, regulations in the indoor areas are super strict, its not a good situation and there are genuine fears for the sport at Monmore Green. 

• Like 1

At a time when speedway needs all the friends it can get, it was shocking to see Peter Adams being so rude to Eurosport staff.

At least he apologised but god only knows what casual viewers and Eurosport bosses must have thought of him.

The poor visuals are not down to the camera operators but to the vision controller in the box who's decision it it is to switch to different cameras, and last night he/she made a complete hash of it.

Agree with many of the above comments, there is always a sense of impending carnage on small trick tracks which you never get on proper track such as Belle Vue.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BrizHeathen said:

Not the greatest meeting at Monmore, a track that can produce good speedway. 

As for comparing Monmore to Poole, the last few times i've been to Wimbourne Rd riders have needed moto x suspension, bouncing into the bends on a surface far worse than last nights.

However, i agree they do need to put things right. Wolverhampton council are not helping in any way shape or form either, the crowd limit is ridiculously low, regulations in the indoor areas are super strict, its not a good situation and there are genuine fears for the sport at Monmore Green. 

Yes there must be genuine fears now for our future, programme last night again reiterated that limited crowds are causing heavy losses and without the relaxing of restrictions on June 21st a difficult decision will have to be made.

When a club like ours that has been so stable for many years is on the brink then it doesn’t bode well for the future

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

At a time when speedway needs all the friends it can get, it was shocking to see Peter Adams being so rude to Eurosport staff.

At least he apologised but god only knows what casual viewers and Eurosport bosses must have thought of him.

The poor visuals are not down to the camera operators but to the vision controller in the box who's decision it it is to switch to different cameras, and last night he/she made a complete hash of it.

Agree with many of the above comments, there is always a sense of impending carnage on small trick tracks which you never get on proper track such as Belle Vue.

I'm no fan of Wolves or Monmore green but such comments are incorrect and bordering on arrogance.

The UK benefits from all types of tracks from 200 metres up to 440 metres.

Seeing every race by the guy with the fastest engine who sits on the dirt line is no more exciting / no less boring than seeing a technician on a bike mastering a smaller more technical circuit

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

What did he say?

58 minutes ago, Red Flag said:

Yes there must be genuine fears now for our future, programme last night again reiterated that limited crowds are causing heavy losses and without the relaxing of restrictions on June 21st a difficult decision will have to be made.

When a club like ours that has been so stable for many years is on the brink then it doesn’t bode well for the future

Worrying times. CVS and Adams have been in charge since 1984, a tremendously long period of stability whilst many other promotions have come and gone. Both of them very knowledgeable and experienced. Also not to underplay the part that the Parrys International sponsorship  have played at Wolverhampton, the longest continuous sponsorship in the sport. Just hope for the sake of the sport that the government make the right decision.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keepturningleft said:

Didn't see him as being especially rude.

It was a stupid time to try to interview him when he had just seen his rider Nick Morris bounce down the track and was quizzed on how Morris was - having not had a chance to see him because he was called for an interview!!

15 minutes ago, TheScotsman said:

Didn't see him as being especially rude.

It was a stupid time to try to interview him when he had just seen his rider Nick Morris bounce down the track and was quizzed on how Morris was - having not had a chance to see him because he was called for an interview!!

Yes but there is better and more polite ways to say it then he did. 

11 hours ago, Bald Bloke said:

Kelv said " full house". I know it's covid, but looked like 400. Whats Wolves limit

Was said on radio WM that its only 900 people.