British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolves v Sheffield 7th June 2021

4 minutes ago, Col said:

I agree but I think it's as much down to the continual depletion of riders that British Speedway is able to attract as it is to anything.

When I had a season ticket for a few years Wolves could boast Lindgren, Hamill & Karlsson compare riders to their current heat leaders and the difference is obvious. The visitors have obviously depleted in a similar vein and when riders only need to visit such a small track once a year (as Purfleet & Kirky Lane Greyhound stadium are no longer on their agendas) where is the incentive to learn the skills to race it?

I'm guessing Foxhall is the premiership track closest in size & shape to Monmore... I've never been but going on what I've seen on TV. But it is considerably bigger I'd think.

Ippo 285m

Wolves 264m

Been to both. But not for years. Wolves bends are a lot tighter from what i remember.

If Wolverhampton’s track followed the line of the greyhound track all the way round, it would make for a much better shape for speedway

8 minutes ago, Midland Red said:

If Wolverhampton’s track followed the line of the greyhound track all the way round, it would make for a much better shape for speedway

When they put the new dog track in they was not allowed to it had to stay the same  , it was done that way to keep as much shale of the dog track. 

22 minutes ago, Trackerman48 said:

When they put the new dog track in they was not allowed to it had to stay the same  , it was done that way to keep as much shale of the dog track. 

Well that blue groove certainly keeps shale off the dog track....:D

• Haha 1

Ellis' score in Sweden tonight suggest he isn't suffering with injury 

On 6/7/2021 at 10:53 PM, Bald Bloke said:

I'm sure you have. But it's to tight for me. Trick track for sure. Mildenhall is tiny, but the shape allows for the riders to keep some speed coming into the turns.Just my opinion:t:

On 6/7/2021 at 11:39 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Kelv said " full house". I know it's covid, but looked like 400. Whats Wolves limit

I thought it said 700 max?

On 6/8/2021 at 6:48 AM, BrizHeathen said:

Not the greatest meeting at Monmore, a track that can produce good speedway. 

As for comparing Monmore to Poole, the last few times i've been to Wimbourne Rd riders have needed moto x suspension, bouncing into the bends on a surface far worse than last nights.

However, i agree they do need to put things right. Wolverhampton council are not helping in any way shape or form either, the crowd limit is ridiculously low, regulations in the indoor areas are super strict, its not a good situation and there are genuine fears for the sport at Monmore Green. 

In fairness it’s only the Poole troll that says Poole is better. The speedway world knows Poole is the worst track in the UK. 

46 minutes ago, stevebrum said:

I thought it said 700 max?

In fairness it’s only the Poole troll that says Poole is better. The speedway world knows Poole is the worst track in the UK. 

I have been informed it’s close to 750, which must make it difficult to be cost effective, but then Wolves only uses the home straight for spectators which severely  limits numbers.

18 hours ago, Andrew said:

Tigers fared slightly better than I thought we'd do,however we do look a rider short in the middle order/reserve at the moment,as Justin and James look a tad one paced and Josh is er,Josh!

Can't see Josh lasting much longer if he keeps coming off. He'll either get dropped or suffer a serious injury and my money is on the latter. Out of the three meetings I've seen him ride this year he never seems to be in control of the bike, he just appears to be hanging on, struggling to keep the back wheel behind him! Can't knock his enthusiasm but that won't keep him healthy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Steve55 said:

Can't see Josh lasting much longer if he keeps coming off. He'll either get dropped or suffer a serious injury and my money is on the latter. Out of the three meetings I've seen him ride this year he never seems to be in control of the bike, he just appears to be hanging on, struggling to keep the back wheel behind him! Can't knock his enthusiasm but that won't keep him healthy.

Agreed with this, the team seems to have a bit of a tail at the moment, Bates Wright & Sedgmen don't seem to be on the pace at the moment, hope they can sort it but I wouldnt be surprised if team changes were to happen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigcatdiary said:

I have been informed it’s close to 750, which must make it difficult to be cost effective, but then Wolves only uses the home straight for spectators which severely  limits numbers.

I imagine the rent for the stadium is not influenced by the fact that the back straight is closed.Anyway for the league title decider in 1993 with Belle Vue the crowd was reputedly 10,000.

3 hours ago, Steve55 said:

Josh looks like he needs to build up some upper body strength, if he had that he might be able to control the bike better

It does seem that the bike is in control of him, not the other way round

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Third Man said:

Josh looks like he needs to build up some upper body strength, if he had that he might be able to control the bike better

It does seem that the bike is in control of him, not the other way round

His shoulder apparently popped out last Thursday when he came off on the second bend so he's not going to have anywhere near 100% strength in that arm. Then there's the neck injury that he sustained at Peterboro' (think that was on the second bend coincidentally) and then the sledging back injury! All going to be taking a toll on his upper body strength. He's fighting with the bike all the time!

On 6/8/2021 at 4:34 PM, Bald Bloke said:

Ippo 285m

Wolves 264m

Been to both. But not for years. Wolves bends are a lot tighter from what i remember.

I remember Sam Ermolenko's comment about Ipswich " I love that little track" . I think the points he used to score bears that out ! :D

On 6/9/2021 at 9:47 AM, bigcatdiary said:

It hasn’t severely stopped the club being more than capable of running successfully for many many years. Like every club there is a break even figure and the limit at Wolves is clearly well below that currently. I’d say about 1500 are at Wolves on a usual given race night. Last weeks programme notes indicate that they won’t be able to run if their continues to be restrictions put on attendance.

masks aren’t needed outside anyway so I really don’t see any issue so long as people are sensible and of course have queued up to get the vaccine it would appear there is no need for outside restrictions at all.

Wolves will follow Birmingham in closing if restrictions carry on, that’s as much of a fact. 

5 hours ago, stevebrum said:

It hasn’t severely stopped the club being more than capable of running successfully for many many years. Like every club there is a break even figure and the limit at Wolves is clearly well below that currently. I’d say about 1500 are at Wolves on a usual given race night. Last weeks programme notes indicate that they won’t be able to run if their continues to be restrictions put on attendance.

masks aren’t needed outside anyway so I really don’t see any issue so long as people are sensible and of course have queued up to get the vaccine it would appear there is no need for outside restrictions at all.

Wolves will follow Birmingham in closing if restrictions carry on, that’s as much of a fact. 

That's part of the problem isn't it, NOBODY knows how much it costs to run a meeting (not even the promoters seemingly). Nobody puts the numbers in the public domain, nobody knows what the attendance is at meetings, nobody knows what the capacity is at tracks. With Wolves going public with their losses, still not saying what they are, just "severe" whatever that means. It may help if they were a little more open, like I said in a previous post they should say what their break even admission price is with a limited unknown capacity