Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Beowulf

Wolves v Sheffield 7th June 2021

2 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Was said on radio WM that its only 900 people.

No way was there 900 there, 400-500 max. 
Belle Vue have been allowed 1200 and the amount that were outside at Wolves last night was about half of just one side at NSS. Yes I know there were some inside too but not many. CVS wouldn’t be complaining so much if it was 900.

6 minutes ago, Wolfie456 said:

Was said on radio WM that its only 900 people.

Thanks. Didn't look nothing like that to me. Must of been though. No reason not to let the maximum in :t:

If anyone needed reminding why speedway in this country is on its backside than last nights meeting was as good as an example as any. On a perfect night, with two evenly matched teams we were served up tripe. Unfortunately today's machines have totally outgrown our historic speedway tracks. I feel sorry for the promoters trying to promote that product. We seriously have about six decent tracks in the UK and most of them are modern built, unfortunately we have lost 2 of the best in Swindon and Somerset. Then we have the usual suspects on here giving the "your tracks worst than our track " rubbish. I'm sure this debate will continue fully when we go to Ipswich and Kings Lynn. Feel sorry for Eurosport  trying to sex up such a poor product, the guys on the mic know it as well, although they are experts at trying to flog a dead horse. As for crowds, the die hards will always come, they will watch anything, but how an earth do you attract news supporters if that's the  product on offer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OK, It wasn't a good moment for Peter Adams to be asked for an interview, but he could have politely declined. No excuse for rudeness to the people who are giving us speedway every week on our TV for which we should be eternally thankful.

As for the small track, big track debate, with very few exceptions, tracks in Europe are big.

Tragically speedway has fallen out of kilter with the rest of the world in this regard.  I can't imagine what Polish fans must think If they watched last night's meeting.

I seriously want speedway and all it's venues to survive, but I can't see how the sport can thrive with the way things are right now.

Oh, and by the way, my track's better than your track....

Wolves track prep is all over the place.

Too deep then too slick

It definitely needs more grip than last night particularly on the 3rd and 4th. Provided that adverse camber by the fence has gone you'd get some great moves around the outside, Becker and Nicol were desperate for grip there last night 

5 minutes ago, keepturningleft said:

OK, It wasn't a good moment for Peter Adams to be asked for an interview, but he could have politely declined. No excuse for rudeness to the people who are giving us speedway every week on our TV for which we should be eternally thankful.

As for the small track, big track debate, with very few exceptions, tracks in Europe are big.

Tragically speedway has fallen out of kilter with the rest of the world in this regard.  I can't imagine what Polish fans must think If they watched last night's meeting.

I seriously want speedway and all it's venues to survive, but I can't see how the sport can thrive with the way things are right now.

Oh, and by the way, my track's better than your track....

Of the 6 teams only Sheffield and Wolves run greyhounds. Therefore the speedway track is limited by the shape and size of the greyhound track. Accordingly there must be a big difference between the size of the Sheffield greyhound track and the Wolves one ! In other words the size of the speedway track at Monmore is outside the control of the speedway management. Back in 1996 whilst the greyhound track was being re-modelled  we had to ride our 'home' leg of the KO Cup final at Long Eaton. When you are a tenant at a stadium  you have to accept what the landlord does. It's a hell of a shame that Ladbrokes closed the back straight, which is where I first started watching my speedway. Obviously loss of viewing choice and atmosphere. Visiting fans complain about just the home straight being open, well I don't like it either! But I will accept these restrictions, track and stadium, in order to carry on watching my team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Belle Vue have been allowed 1200 and the amount that were outside at Wolves last night was about half of just one side at NSS. Yes I know there were some inside too but not many. CVS wouldn’t be complaining so much if it was 900.

I was there

Guess 500 outside plus bar plus restaurant 

900 isn't probably far off 

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

At 900 wolves would be losing money, same as your track bell vue at 1200 will be losing money.  If all the covid restrictions are not lifted on the 21st June there will be lots of tracks in trouble. Imo.

38 minutes ago, noaksey said:

I was there

Guess 500 outside plus bar plus restaurant 

900 isn't probably far off 

There wasn’t 500 outside, there was plenty of shots of the crowd on TV and easy to count every person there with them spread out. And there definitely wouldn’t have been a further 400 inside!

The Wolves track is a good shape, and it use to be one of my favourites, when it was prepared well there use to be multiple lines inside and outside and some really good racing.
But in the last 5 years or so it’s gone really downhill, racing has gone poor and the number of falls/crash’s have gone up.
In the past riders could ride different lines to try and pass each other but now they fighting for the same bit of track, there must be on average 3-4 falls/crashes every meeting last few years.  

25 minutes ago, Rob B said:

There wasn’t 500 outside, there was plenty of shots of the crowd on TV and easy to count every person there with them spread out. And there definitely wouldn’t have been a further 400 inside!

You know more about estimating crowds than me then despite me attending speedway there for nigh on 45 years 

17 hours ago, stevehone said:

good job wowy wasn't wacing tonight

Oh, hilarious...

17 hours ago, Sotonian said:

That 'yummy' presenter has a  serious speech impediment. She's certainly no Sophie Blake.

I don’t think it is a “serious speech impediment”, and good for her and her employers in giving her the opportunity to do the job.

Think both your statements and the need to bring it on here say a lot about you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

not at all, good for her and hope she gains more knowledge of the sport for questions etc, but it's an observation

Tigers fared slightly better than I thought we'd do,however we do look a rider short in the middle order/reserve at the moment,as Justin and James look a tad one paced and Josh is er,Josh!

2 hours ago, Rob B said:

But in the last 5 years or so it’s gone really downhill, racing has gone poor and the number of falls/crash’s have gone up.

I agree but I think it's as much down to the continual depletion of riders that British Speedway is able to attract as it is to anything.

When I had a season ticket for a few years Wolves could boast Lindgren, Hamill & Karlsson compare riders to their current heat leaders and the difference is obvious. The visitors have obviously depleted in a similar vein and when riders only need to visit such a small track once a year (as Purfleet & Kirky Lane Greyhound stadium are no longer on their agendas) where is the incentive to learn the skills to race it?

I'm guessing Foxhall is the premiership track closest in size & shape to Monmore... I've never been but going on what I've seen on TV. But it is considerably bigger I'd think.