British Speedway Forum
iainb

The Great British Speedway Swindle

Actually, looking on the Leicester website, entry is by online ticket purchase only, so there's no choice the stated £17 is actually £18. I bought my rained off Leicester vs Edinbugh ticket using the old booking system so actually saved myself 50p... 1p cheaper than Scunny lol

Edited by iainb

Various kinds of speedway "swindles" are always being added to the British domesic racing scene. One swindle is that now we are at the £1:50 p per race ( almost certainly when inc parking and the raceday magazine ). And that is without any of the "special" food and drink deals. I am amazed to see that early season / first night crowds have returned with a decent bang, so it's a matter of will they keep up to that level which appears to be the previous real average gare in many cases.

17 hours ago, iainb said:

Actually, looking on the Leicester website, entry is by online ticket purchase only, so there's no choice the stated £17 is actually £18. I bought my rained off Leicester vs Edinbugh ticket using the old booking system so actually saved myself 50p... 1p cheaper than Scunny lol

I have booked my ticket for the Scunny match at Leicester and have not been charged admin!!

1 hour ago, Skodaman said:

I have booked my ticket for the Scunny match at Leicester and have not been charged admin!!

I've also booked mine, it said £18 £0 booking fee... Where on the website it says admission is £17, don't know about you?

It is on your own website :icon_smile_clown:if you look with your eyes open as it clearly states in Ticket Office, 2021 Admission Prices, Adult £17. Please be aware there is an additional £1 online booking fee added to the admission price. :oops: 

On 6/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, iainb said:

Haha... I know what you mean.

I'm guessing that the system being used has been bought in or is being used on a subscription type model which is where I'm assuming the booking fee comes in, to pay for it.

All I know is that I used the Peterborough system to buy a ticket for almost every match this season and the booking fee said £0

I wanted to do the same with the Leicester system (same system) and they add £1 per ticket and I can only book a ticket for the next upcoming match.

I don't know if you can pay at the door at Peterborough but on their website it says the price of a ticket is £20.

So either Peterborough are getting their system for free, bearing the cost themselves or not being up front about the booking fee.

Peterborough have a pay at the gate till and are advertising the fact.

I don't understand what the moan is about.

If I go at watch Premiership Football at Villa Park I pay a Booking Fee

If I go to a Convert at NEC I pay a Booking Fee

If I go to Birmingham Hippodrome I pay a Booking Fee

I've paid Online for Brummies Speedway and paid a smaller Booking Fee.

I don't suppose people who just want to moan have for 1 minute considered that a Booking System is provided by a third party, how do you think that third party makes any money for their expertise, they either get an up front fee off the Football / Speedway . Concert or Theatre for using their system. 

We saw what happened last Autumn when BSPL tried to do it "on the cheap" at Ipswich using Paypal and Spreadsheets.

Too many in Speedway want something for nothing and just want to moan.

Support your local Club while you can while it's there.

Very worrying times in the midlands with Wolves very concerned about Crowd limits and Brummies can't be making any money either.

• Like 3

It's not a moan, it's a discussion. I think you'll find if you look back through the posts that I have very much considered where the booking system has come from.

Just because you're paying a booking fee everywhere doesn't make it right.

Much like the £1 for parking at some tracks it looks like an additional add on to scrape a bit more money from the punter. Like your £3 programme full of adverts, but at least you normally have a choice about that.

With no pay at the door option at some tracks it could look like a bit of a cash in, especially at £1 per ticket... That they're not actually physically sending to anybody

Edited by iainb

I gave up on Speedway some time back. The big problem is value for money, entertainment and the total disregard for the casual speedway fan. Allied to this the constant disregard for home grown talent and UK based riders. Bringing over foreign riders is destroying British League speedway as it is very expensive leaving little financial input elsewhere. I feel a bit sorry for Kelvin who is trying to talk up a dying sport with only 6 Elite teams. The administrators seem to be living in another world that we parted with in the 1970's albeit with a decent amount of home grown riders. The only fan that is going to be attracted to this facade dare I say is the fanatic 'Anorak' who has taken over the terraces.

Edited by Pieman72
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just think that if we are being asked (forced in some cases) to pay a booking fee and all we're getting for it is an email, it's a justified question to ask what the booking fee is for

25 minutes ago, iainb said:

I just think that if we are being asked (forced in some cases) to pay a booking fee and all we're getting for it is an email, it's a justified question to ask what the booking fee is for

You clearly don’t book many rock concert tickets - service charges there dwarf any charge levied by speedway clubs.

5 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

You clearly don’t book many rock concert tickets - service charges there dwarf any charge levied by speedway clubs.

I do, many rock concerts in fact and we all know that's a swizz too, especially in these days of e-tickets. I think the last time I went to see Iron Maiden you just had to have your credit card with you. £1 on £17 is working out at about a 6% booking fee, which is about what you pay on an £80-£100 concert ticket. Doesn't make it right though does it? And as far as I can remember (it's been so long since I've been to a concert) it's per transaction with concerts not per ticket.

Edited by iainb

My local non league football club charges more on the day at the gate than if you buy tickets online, they actually incentivise buying ahead online, and this is a club that gets not more crowds than your average speedway club gets.

12 hours ago, marko said:

My local non league football club charges more on the day at the gate than if you buy tickets online, they actually incentivise buying ahead online, and this is a club that gets not more crowds than your average speedway club gets.

I went to a post season friendly at Chatham Town a couple of weeks ago. Almost 700 people turned up, staggering really. 

21 hours ago, IronScorpion said:

It is on your own website :icon_smile_clown:if you look with your eyes open as it clearly states in Ticket Office, 2021 Admission Prices, Adult £17. Please be aware there is an additional £1 online booking fee added to the admission price. :oops: 

But the invoice states £0 admin.

• Like 1