British Speedway Forum
Col

Brummies v Tigers 9/6

Speaking of which, Riss has a long way to go before he earns the moniker "Electric"!

I actually agree with this comment Col ! :D

The attendance didnt appear too good? I am wondering why there was no pay on the night, like last week? I think this decision affected numbers?

1 minute ago, GiveusaB said:

Speaking of which, Riss has a long way to go before he earns the moniker "Electric"!

I actually agree with this comment Col ! :D

The attendance didnt appear too good? I am wondering why there was no pay on the night, like last week? I think this decision affected numbers?

No pay on the night is often one of the restrictions put in place by the local authority in giving permission for the venue to open (Covid-related). 

Restrictions depend on where the venue is and what their local council says. The Govt has given this power to your local council.

"I actually think Sedgeman was the best visiting Tiger, but Ostergaard deserves credit also"

Heat 10 Col....

Ulrich = 3 Riss =2 Harris =1 Sedgemen = 0

B'ham use a T/S and had we got a 5-1 things would've been different?

Just now, Richard Weston said:

No pay on the night is often one of the restrictions put in place by the local authority in giving permission for the venue to open (Covid-related). 

Restrictions depend on where the venue is and what their local council says. The Govt has given this power to your local council.

We had pay on the night last week....so what's the difference? (same venue...same council)

I don't know what the difference was but local councils do change their minds; especially with talk of a 3rd wave they wanted things tightened up.

I sense from where I am in Sussex that council inspectors are going round a lot more checking -- places such as cafes tightening up on app use or name/address

Always enjoy a visit to Perry Barr, but didn't enjoy the traffic around the stadium much!  

Not a bad meeting, the track was pretty choppy and dusty but understand the problems that the promotion and curator face to get it half decent.

Heat 13 was a great battle between Cook and Harris! I thought that it was Sedgman, Jensen (not sure why he is being criticised by a guy on here) and Ostergaard (heat 10 ride especially) that won the match for Glasgow, in fact had Cook bothered to look for Ulle in heat 15 instead of taking his line down back straight they'd have secured maximum points.  Good to see Paco doing well for Brummies and Thomas & Shanes impressed, not the brightest from Ash Morris in heat 14 though when a point would have given them a much better shot in heat 15.  

Fear for the Brummies day to day though, even with an impressive number of Glasgow fans in attendance, there couldn't have been many more than 400 in the stadium and with having to employ a load of SIA registered staff to stand around doing not a lot then that's a hefty old expense on top of everything else, as I assume the cost is passed onto the promotion by the stadium for this.    

Mase the Ace on car park duty I see!     

38 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

I don't know what the difference was but local councils do change their minds; especially with talk of a 3rd wave they wanted things tightened up.

I sense from where I am in Sussex that council inspectors are going round a lot more checking -- places such as cafes tightening up on app use or name/address

Power trips probably.....

17 minutes ago, Barry The Cat said:

Always enjoy a visit to Perry Barr, but didn't enjoy the traffic around the stadium much!  

Not a bad meeting, the track was pretty choppy and dusty but understand the problems that the promotion and curator face to get it half decent.

Heat 13 was a great battle between Cook and Harris! I thought that it was Sedgman, Jensen (not sure why he is being criticised by a guy on here) and Ostergaard (heat 10 ride especially) that won the match for Glasgow, in fact had Cook bothered to look for Ulle in heat 15 instead of taking his line down back straight they'd have secured maximum points.  Good to see Paco doing well for Brummies and Thomas & Shanes impressed, not the brightest from Ash Morris in heat 14 though when a point would have given them a much better shot in heat 15.  

Fear for the Brummies day to day though, even with an impressive number of Glasgow fans in attendance, there couldn't have been many more than 400 in the stadium and with having to employ a load of SIA registered staff to stand around doing not a lot then that's a hefty old expense on top of everything else, as I assume the cost is passed onto the promotion by the stadium for this.    

Speaking of the SIA.....

They tell you to wear a mask if you're walking around....but if you're standing still you don't have to wear one ? even though you're within half a metre of the person next to you?

What a load 'bo##ox' !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barry The Cat said:

Can you imagine the joy of having that for every home meeting? :unsure:

It was that or not getting any revenue for parked cars!!

Great to see Lee Kilby at PB last night....we have missed him and his enthusiasm!!

• Like 1

Given the diversity of opinion on here you would'nt think we were all at the same meeting. for what it worth here's my two penny worth.

Despite loosing I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting, some good racing and the track 100% better than last week, it looked smooth to me if it had been choppy  Harris would have been winning races, (see his notes in this weeks prog) I thought the crowd level was pretty decent, not helped by last weeks farce. Online booking is a barrier to some and having to pay a booking fee is unhelpful, Glasgow deserved to win although I think it was winnable for the Brummies,  a couple of decent gates would have made the difference, C'est la vie

where was Nichol

Oyster card,  flying, real surprise this season,  someone  has sponsored/paid for  a couple of top class engines for this season , no other explanation?

Sam Jensen  Like a lot of youngsters can ride quick when they gate and out in front but lack the nesessary experience to come from behind, Ive no doubt he will improve!

the same could be said for  Brummies Jack Thomas whos race time in his first heat was comparable to other heat winners but finished last when he missed the gate.

Harris, oh dear  gater of old,  although he provided the best race of the night.

Riss ,  not impressive to start with but showed more effort and determination in his last couple of ridess

Shanesie, not bad, he will get better but his grass tracking is holding back his progress in speedway,  (he is fantastic on the grass a joy to watch, see U-tube )

Morris has been out for two years, 100% effort, just needs a few more matches under his belt, he will come good.

Looking forward to the Poole match, oh yes, Grobauer could be a problem he needs track time  at PB to get dialed in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GiveusaB said:

Great to see Lee Kilby at PB last night....we have missed him and his enthusiasm!!

I agree.

Saw him on Car Park, said he was there to help doing what he could when he could.

I do fear for the future if there in't any quick easing of restrictions so fingers crossed things improve.

Good Meeting, enjoyed it and should be a cracker next week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Shanesie, not bad, he will get better but his grass tracking is holding back his progress in speedway,  (he is fantastic on the grass a joy to watch, see U-tube )

I find James’ approach confusing as I would expect that he has the potential to earn more in the long term from speedway but concentrates on grass track and long track to the extent that his race style doesn’t work for speedway - he needs to get his backside off the saddle as he goes into the bends. He has been told and put it to good use, but then reverts to his old style. 
Although only 24, he’s been racing since 2013 so I’m not sure when “he will get better”. I’m sure he’s enjoying himself, but the Brummies need riders who will improve over the season if they’re not going to be also rans  

2 hours ago, Wee Eck said:

I find James’ approach confusing as I would expect that he has the potential to earn more in the long term from speedway but concentrates on grass track and long track to the extent that his race style doesn’t work for speedway - he needs to get his backside off the saddle as he goes into the bends. He has been told and put it to good use, but then reverts to his old style. 
Although only 24, he’s been racing since 2013 so I’m not sure when “he will get better”. I’m sure he’s enjoying himself, but the Brummies need riders who will improve over the season if they’re not going to be also rans  

This is a fair post about a very talented all round motorcyclist!