British Speedway Forum

7 hours ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Why are Wolves allowed to delay fixtures by 4 weeks?

If the whole league stops for 4 weeks, this will ruin the momentum that the Panthers have built up.

images.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Midland Red said:

Does anyone know whether the BSPA have been in touch with the “All-Party Parliamentary Group for Motorcycle Speedway”, if it still exists?

Yes...

They said "Is that still going?"...:rolleyes:

Have said it before but will say it again, it was an utterly bonkers decision to even attempt to run the season this season and this was always going to happen. Clubs going on hold, promoters begging for donations to stay afloat , riders not being able to travel freely etc. 

In a sport that , even before a hint of this pandemic, was on its arse with nearly all promoters struggling, what hope did it have with reduced fans? 

It was a crazy decision to attempt to get the season going and I cannot believe those in charge actually let it happen. 

I want everything to get back to normal, everyone in the world has in someway been affected by this pathetic virus and I am one of those who feel that we should just continue to get as many people vaccinated and forget about the virus and get everything back to normal . I am in Australia and cant even get a flight back home to see family without being stuck there until Australia reopens its borders and dread to imagine how many others are in the same boat. So seeing stupid decisions like restarting speedway only for clubs to start whinging about money less than a month in really is a joke. 

• Like 3

Speedway needs to look in on itself and accept that the present situation particularly at Wolverhampton exists due to unsustainable overheads and accept that fans don't have bottomless pockets along comes Covid and the model used is not fit for purpose. Having no UK riders is not healthy situation but hopefully the promotion will be able to continue and perhaps encourage local talent that may give the track a future. I do seriously worry about the survival of speedway and find the 'bunker mentality' very difficult to grasp.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Everything was set up by Rogers for the next season until the rug was pulled late in the day. He had no inkling that the last match would be the last match.

So why wasn't that last meeting like the usual final meeting of a season with rider farewells, a bit of fun and games etc? I had followed the Hunters/Lions since 1949 and it was completely different that night in October 1983. 

7 hours ago, Gemini said:

So why wasn't that last meeting like the usual final meeting of a season with rider farewells, a bit of fun and games etc? I had followed the Hunters/Lions since 1949 and it was completely different that night in October 1983. 

and the irony is, 38 years on Leicester are back on track and Coventry has gone. 

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

Don't know the answer to that. I was told by Martin Rogers that the rug was pulled late in the day for the following season

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gemini said:

There were lots of fun & games from my memory as a 16 year old.

Here’s the 2nd half from my programme.

227BE039-EB8D-441E-B787-9ED312257438.jpeg

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Elmo said:

There were lots of fun & games from my memory as a 16 year old.

Here’s the 2nd half from my programme.

227BE039-EB8D-441E-B787-9ED312257438.jpeg

Ah! The good old Second Halves! I used to enjoy them!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Richard Weston said:

Don't know the answer to that. I was told by Martin Rogers that the rug was pulled late in the day for the following season

Martin talked at length about it in an edition of "Backtrack" a couple or so years back. He was less than impressed with the way that it had been dealt with and how it left him high and dry as promoter at Blackbird Road at the time.

Edited by steve roberts

51 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Ah! The good old Second Halves! I used to enjoy them!

Any idea who Lester Lion was?

20 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Would be interesting to know? We had a Tony Brooklister ride at Cowley once...turned out to be Colin Meredith incognito!

2 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Would be interesting to know? We had a Tony Brooklister ride at Cowley once...turned out to be Colin Meredith incognito!

Whoever it was it can't have been difficult to recognise him considering he had no helmet on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

A Bengt mudegaard rode at Berwick i seem to remember.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Grachan said:

It was probably Gemini just having one last fling. :D 

Edited by jrs
  • Haha 1