British Speedway Forum

Of course tractors used to park up on the centre green, on safety grounds that’s no longer. Didn’t a rider get killed at Ellesmere Port practice when he lost control of his bike and tangled with the tractor on the centre green.

There was a Polish match I was watching on the internet recently when even the start girls walked into the stands rather then the centre green after they had strutted their stuff.

2 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Of course tractors used to park up on the centre green, on safety grounds that’s no longer. Didn’t a rider get killed at Ellesmere Port practice when he lost control of his bike and tangled with the tractor on the centre green.

There was a Polish match I was watching on the internet recently when even the start girls walked into the stands rather then the centre green after they had strutted their stuff.

I remember when Trevor Geer's out of control bike mounted the white kerb and sped across the centre green near the start line and hit a marshall breaking his leg.

Edited by steve roberts
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, frigbo said:

Thorpe was hit by the grader when turning around at the tapes,  if I recall correctly

That's how I remember it

In the original days the national league I think most of the riders had jobs outside of speedway, most of the teams were almost all British, Arena Essex in 1990 had Martin Goodwin, Rob Tilbury, Troy Pratt, Wayne Garrett rip, Kevin Brice, Simon Wolstenholme and Adrian Stevens, no one doubling up or down, none of those riders rode for anyone else anywhere bar a rare guest appearance.

those days are long gone and the current practice of doubling up is not sustainable.

should be one biggish league next season, time to start giving the youth a better chance to ride more frequently and on a greater variety of tracks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marko said:

In the original days the national league I think most of the riders had jobs outside of speedway, most of the teams were almost all British, Arena Essex in 1990 had Martin Goodwin, Rob Tilbury, Troy Pratt, Wayne Garrett rip, Kevin Brice, Simon Wolstenholme and Adrian Stevens, no one doubling up or down, none of those riders rode for anyone else anywhere bar a rare guest appearance.

those days are long gone and the current practice of doubling up is not sustainable.

should be one biggish league next season, time to start giving the youth a better chance to ride more frequently and on a greater variety of tracks.

Then Tilbury went to Long Eaton in 91 and got sacked lol

Getting back to the rational. Can anyone tell my what is the reason for Wolves fielding so many foreign riders. I'm interested to know what the die hard fans think of this while they sit with their feet up on a Monday evening.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

Getting back to the rational. Can anyone tell my what is the reason for Wolves fielding so many foreign riders. I'm interested to know what the die hard fans think of this while they sit with their feet up on a Monday evening.

It doesn't matter

11 hours ago, OveFundinFan said:

Stuart Shirley  1977  E/Port training school hit a roller centre green

• Thanks 1

Scott Smith on a victory lap at Newport came across the tractor raking the track, dropped his bike and baled off, tractor continued with his bike travelling on the rake for 1/4 lap while Scotty sat on his Ar8e watching .

Pete Jarman  slide between the wheels of the tractor as it emerged on the track E/Port  he had fallen  remounted ,the old "JAP " was a little worse for wear though he was uninjured   fortunately .

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

All my years going to speedway Wolves always seemed to have a policy of fielding foreign riders...even using R/R for Hasse Holmqvist who had no intention of returning to the UK in 1976!

Having a complete team of foreign riders is not a healthy situation but if the fans are happy with the situation then something must be going right. I haven't had one voice of dissent from any Wolves fan so the BSPA and the Promoter have been given a blank canvas. Can't disagree with that.

2 hours ago, Pieman72 said:

Having a complete team of foreign riders is not a healthy situation but if the fans are happy with the situation then something must be going right. I haven't had one voice of dissent from any Wolves fan so the BSPA and the Promoter have been given a blank canvas. Can't disagree with that.

Not sure what the flight tickets are, but they're certainly not cheap.

I bet the Wolves promotion are paying for Covid tests too.

58 minutes ago, KeirStarmerFan said:

Not sure what the flight tickets are, but they're certainly not cheap.

I bet the Wolves promotion are paying for Covid tests too.

Think you need to get your facts right, all wolves riders are based over here so the promotion doesn't pay for flights or covid tests. 

7 hours ago, Trackerman48 said:

Think you need to get your facts right, all wolves riders are based over here so the promotion doesn't pay for flights or covid tests. 

All except Luke Becker…..

Very few riders in this years Premiership are “fly in, fly out”. I reckon only, Kurtz and Bewley (BV), Riss (KL), Andersen (not sure about MPT and Ostergaard) at Peterborough, Holder and maybe Ellis at Sheffield and Becker (Wolves). Changed days with no Swedes and no Poles in Britain’s top league.