British Speedway Forum

2 hours ago, iainb said:

Last Saturday at home to Redcar... rider parade, all riders come round wearing their helmets, a hard earned home victory with an outstanding match winning performance from Dan Thompson... no victory  parade! None of this costs anything to do and is free promotion... and yet it's not done

Victory parades with the whole team.on the back of a truck have fallen victim to the covid rules this season...

39 minutes ago, ch958 said:

parades are a bore - just a lap on the bike - don't know who insisted on helmets but they need their knobs wedging in a door

I'm not 100% sure, But I believe there was an incident involving a rider with no helmet (parade lap) coming into contact with the grading tractor. The rule about having to wear a helmet was introduced shortly afterwards.

8 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Victory parades with the whole team.on the back of a truck have fallen victim to the covid rules this season...

Not at Wolves they haven’t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pvm said:

I'm not 100% sure, But I believe there was an incident involving a rider with no helmet (parade lap) coming into contact with the grading tractor. The rule about having to wear a helmet was introduced shortly afterwards.

so one thing happened which will never happen again and the customer experience suffers. There's one of the hundred things that are wrong

25 minutes ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

Then send them round on a bike, it's so easy to do

19 minutes ago, pvm said:

Are you referring to the Mark Thorpe incident at Swindon around 30 years ago? I believe a rule was introduced after that, that a rider couldn't be on the track at the same time as a tractor... nothing to do with helmets and parades. 2019 at BV the riders used to come round without helmets on and line up in front of the grandstands so the fans could see who they are and what they look like, more important than ever these days with them all wearing the same race suits, or they may as well just be robots.

The parade at Leicester the other week saw all of the riders wearing helmets with the exception of Josh Auty... bizarre!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tsunami said:

No, they walk away never to return. Difference is you can play at grass usually at weekend meets. With Speedway being in teams, you have commitment to be available anywhere and every week for about 8 months. It has to be more disciplined to make it work.j 

An excellent reply at one time many teams operated Friday, Saturday and Sunday making it possible to have another income outside speedway. Having foreign riders has stopped that as they ride in Europe of a weekend. So supporters have to watch their side midweek and British riders cant ride as they need another income to make speedway viable. There is something wrong with speedway and it is making it entertaining in a place that is welcoming at time that's suitable and a cost that's reasonable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Red Flag said:

Not at Wolves they haven’t

Which shows how bizarrely different each council approach is

Wolves appear to have a rather strict crowd limit and rules but allow this

At Ipswich it is a specific requirement to not allow it!

1 hour ago, iainb said:

Are you referring to the Mark Thorpe incident at Swindon around 30 years ago? I believe a rule was introduced after that, that a rider couldn't be on the track at the same time as a tractor... nothing to do with helmets and parades. 2019 at BV the riders used to come round without helmets on and line up in front of the grandstands so the fans could see who they are and what they look like, more important than ever these days with them all wearing the same race suits, or they may as well just be robots.

I had a vague recollection of something happening, and various recommendations being introduced. Hence why I prefixed my comment with "I'm not 100% sure". That's the thing with speedway, the rules & recommendations change on an almost year basis, that you lose track of when & why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pieman72 said:

An excellent reply at one time many teams operated Friday, Saturday and Sunday making it possible to have another income outside speedway. Having foreign riders has stopped that as they ride in Europe of a weekend. So supporters have to watch their side midweek and British riders cant ride as they need another income to make speedway viable. There is something wrong with speedway and it is making it entertaining in a place that is welcoming at time that's suitable and a cost that's reasonable.

There have been tracks over the years, who have operated during the week and successfully. What holds back many of us, from travelling outside our local areas, is the diabolical traffic congestion we have to contend with in this country. Of course, that also affects the riders and especially those who want to work and ride. It's a bit late now, as so many tracks have gone, but over the years, people have said the teams should be put in leagues based on where the track is located, i.e. Northern League, Eastern League etc, but for reasons best known to others, it never happened. For speedway to survive, there needs to be a complete overhaul, but 'limping on' seems to be the way it is presently.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ray Stadia said:

There have been tracks over the years, who have operated during the week and successfully. What holds back many of us, from travelling outside our local areas, is the diabolical traffic congestion we have to contend with in this country. Of course, that also affects the riders and especially those who want to work and ride. It's a bit late now, as so many tracks have gone, but over the years, people have said the teams should be put in leagues based on where the track is located, i.e. Northern League, Eastern League etc, but for reasons best known to others, it never happened. For speedway to survive, there needs to be a complete overhaul, but 'limping on' seems to be the way it is presently.    

I presume that there hasn't been a 'root and branch' overhaul because those 'in control' don't see anything wrong with their operating model and business plan...?

And fair play to them too...

Can't be easy constantly avoiding the obvious year after year, after year...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dontforgetthefueltapsbruv said:

The match I attended at Belle Vue against Peterborough definitely had both teams on the truck on a parade lap after the draw.

I tend to go for a variety of exciting and close racing not posing though I do enjoy the riders parade prior to racing. Tiger Tom Leadbitter with his pom pom hat lol.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bruiser said:

The match I attended at Belle Vue against Peterborough definitely had both teams on the truck on a parade lap after the draw.

Which just goes to prove what a miss mash eff up it is all round from the powers that be (general not speedway in this instance!)

On 6/21/2021 at 12:26 PM, iainb said:

Then send them round on a bike, it's so easy to do

The parade at Leicester the other week saw all of the riders wearing helmets with the exception of Josh Auty... bizarre!

Was the rule about a tractor not being on the track at the same time as riders not brought in as a result of Jamie Smith being hit by a tractor on track in the 00's. He was given a massive settlement, something that he refered to in a recent interview which was written and published in the Speedway Star by Peter Oakes. I think Mark Thorp might have been riding on the tractor and he got mangled by it, something like what happened to Guy Allott and finished his career.  

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

Thorpe was hit by the grader when turning around at the tapes,  if I recall correctly

Edited by frigbo
  • Like 1