British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Brummies Season Halted |

25 minutes ago, Pinny said:

No sympathy I am afraid - it was a daft idea to launch the season without being able to have maximum capacity and they wont be the first to stop. Its an absolute farce. 

Should of forgot about 2021 and planned ahead for 2022 - looks like Somerset made the right call. 

The call Somerset made was to close totally, finish speedway. there will be no more Speedway at OTA.

5 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Haven't Somerset closed down completely, so hardly looking ahead to 2022.

If any team made the right call it could turn out to be Swindon - providing, of course, that they do run in 2022 as they say they will.

Swindon decided not to run to get their new stadium built. 

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, HGould said:

Some sanctimonious gloating from the usual suspects does not help.

They tried, they have temporarily failed, far more respect for that than for keyboard warriors from the hatespeedway.com brigade.

I don't think comments like that are very helpful, I don't think there's anybody on here that wants to see the death of Speedway or hate Speedway. We're all on here because we love Speedway and want it desperately to succeed, we just have different opinions on how to get there. Admittedly we don't have skin in the game other than tipping up our admission fee with an expectation to be entertained for the evening.

Has anybody said this is the wrong decision? All I'm reading are a lot of people asking why several clubs haven't done their sums.

• Like 4

Just now, Richard Weston said:

Swindon decided not to run to get their new stadium built. 

“The economics of the sport which relies so much on the paying spectator are not robust enough to take any downturn in revenue particularly after the cancelation of the 2020 season. Our government is not able to provide any indication of the timing or the steps of lifting the restrictions, which is not a criticism, just a fact. With this in front of us, it is impossible to plan and commit for racing at the Abbey in 2021."

Swindon Robins Speedway Official Website: NO SPEEDWAY RACING AT SWINDON THIS YEAR (swindon-speedway.com)

22 minutes ago, Grachan said:

“The economics of the sport which relies so much on the paying spectator are not robust enough to take any downturn in revenue particularly after the cancelation of the 2020 season. Our government is not able to provide any indication of the timing or the steps of lifting the restrictions, which is not a criticism, just a fact. With this in front of us, it is impossible to plan and commit for racing at the Abbey in 2021."

Swindon Robins Speedway Official Website: NO SPEEDWAY RACING AT SWINDON THIS YEAR (swindon-speedway.com)

shows Swindon made a good business call

Like has been said by me and many others,no way can Speedway be run with crowd restrictions and survive.That’s the bottom line.Can only hope things return to normal soon.

Edited by Fromafar

1 minute ago, old bob at herne bay said:

One has to ask  - where is the the governing body   the "BSPL " or whatever ? Heads stuck in the sand  I guess  ?  

They are noticeable by their absence

Perhaps they are finding ways to stop the IOW from running 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye Steve and your lot may be next unfortunately....

Regards 

THJ

25 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

Poole announcement today.

I would be very worried if I was a Poole fan...

Regards 

THJ

Why? The club will run this season, I am guessing just not under the current situation of hugely limited attendances.

• Like 1

I can understand restricted capacity being a problem (wolves have had their regular crowd cut by more than half) but Birmingham haven't sold out of tickets on any occasion? That says to me it's more an issue that the promotion aren't pulling in the crowd.

6 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

I can understand restricted capacity being a problem (wolves have had their regular crowd cut by more than half) but Birmingham haven't sold out of tickets on any occasion? That says to me it's more an issue that the promotion aren't pulling in the crowd.

Could be that a lot of their fans are not computer savvy and would pay on the door, I know a lot of Glasgow fans that do not do technology and are missing out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cookiefan said:

Could be that a lot of their fans are not computer savvy and would pay on the door, I know a lot of Glasgow fans that do not do technology and are missing out

They had tickets on the gates against Redcar. It's all about putting things in place for those people. Offer them an option to buy in advance in person or over the phone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

They had tickets on the gates against Redcar. It's all about putting things in place for those people. Offer them an option to buy in advance in person or over the phone.

The paying on the gate facility was removed by the council...online sales only, hence the decision to suspend their season

• Like 1