British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Brummies_Ste

Brummies Season Halted |

45 minutes ago, Skidder1 said:

Because its a Govt 'trial' event - or a 'test' event if you will!!

sounds a bit like michael gove going to portugal for the cup final and not isolating on his return (for a trial apparently ) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, porkypotter said:

i would think they are absolutely pig sick seing the huge crowds going into edgbaston for the cricket yesterday and the crowds due at wembley for the football. where is the justice there. hope the masons can weather the storm and get back on track asap.

Trouble is Cricket has a big appeal to the Asian audience because of India and Pakistan,  speedway does not, its not being racist to say that our sport is followed 99.9% by the White British population with quite a high average age group, its a very niche market, especially in a City like Birmingham which has a big ethnic percentage.

I ve been told it was the Stadium Owners who pulled cash sales. 

4 hours ago, BuxtonTiger said:

And if you have a ticket for next Wednesday???

Or if you bought a season ticket? Or if you donated to the Just Giving pot?

A lot of fans, many of them pensioners, could be having to resign themselves to writing off a lot of their own money.

30 minutes ago, marko said:

Trouble is Cricket has a big appeal to the Asian audience because of India and Pakistan,  speedway does not, its not being racist to say that our sport is followed 99.9% by the White British population with quite a high average age group, its a very niche market, especially in a City like Birmingham which has a big ethnic percentage.

Every city has a 100% ethnic percentage even if all white! You mean ethnic minority.

4 hours ago, porkypotter said:

i would think they are absolutely pig sick seing the huge crowds going into edgbaston for the cricket yesterday and the crowds due at wembley for the football. where is the justice there. hope the masons can weather the storm and get back on track asap.

It's almost like those stadiums are a lot bigger than speedway stadiums eh.... 

As an aside I think this whole "old people" don't know how to use PC line being mentioned a lot is a complete and utter myth TBH. I would expect there are very, very few who don't have some form of access to online sales in this day and age through family members as an alterative means.

"them auld folks can't use PCs" is the latest in a line of BS for reducing crowd numbers..... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hacksaw Jim Duggan said:

It's almost like those stadiums are a lot bigger than speedway stadiums eh.... 

As an aside I think this whole "old people" don't know how to use PC line being mentioned a lot is a complete and utter myth TBH. I would expect there are very, very few who don't have some form of access to online sales in this day and age through family members as an alterative means.

"them auld folks can't use PCs" is the latest in a line of BS for reducing crowd numbers..... 

They most likely do have PC's and access to them but they just point blank refuse to use them for such things as ticket purchases.

Look at the people in your local pub next time you go, everyone under 50 will be paying by card, those over 50 will open their wallet which contains a bank card but will insist on paying cash even if the barman has said they prefer card payments.

Those that attend speedway are very much stuck in their ways they have turned up 5 mins before the start and paid cash and then stood in the exact same spot for 50 odd years and nothing is going to change that, and yes they would rather see the speedway closed down than change their ways in order to keep it running 

45 minutes ago, marko said:

spot on. big sports stadiums generate more money and there are a lot of sponsors that need to be satisfied so they are always likely to get more help getting crowds in. alas our lowly sport will always get trodden over by the big time charlies and we will always get the rough edge of the stick from local councils. just hope the tables turn on the 21st and the shackles are removed before it is too late for some tracks.

Any information on why phones couldn't have been used to book tickets? 

Or were they?

Surely people are able to ring up, use their card to buy, and either have them sent to their home, or the barcode sent to their phone?

Or even pick them up on the night..?

There is a though a myth that 50 somethings dont use computers. Most of us are extremely computer and internet savvy..

Especially when the wife suddenly walks in to the room..:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

They most likely do have PC's and access to them but they just point blank refuse to use them for such things as ticket purchases.

Look at the people in your local pub next time you go, everyone under 50 will be paying by card, those over 50 will open their wallet which contains a bank card but will insist on paying cash even if the barman has said they prefer card payments.

Very big generalisation, all the group i go to speedway with have bought tickets on line and pay by card, all over 60, i don't pay cash for anything, even know how to use the card only pumps at petrol stations

don't speak for everyone, loads of over 60's use computers and pay by card

what not having the facilities to pay cash does is stop people going on the spur of the moment if their plans change or the weather changes for the good

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Heathcote said:

Those that attend speedway are very much stuck in their ways they have turned up 5 mins before the start and paid cash and then stood in the exact same spot for 50 odd years and nothing is going to change that, and yes they would rather see the speedway closed down than change their ways in order to keep it running 

:lol: - hell of a wide sweeping stereotype TBH. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, porkypotter said:

spot on. big sports stadiums generate more money and there are a lot of sponsors that need to be satisfied so they are always likely to get more help getting crowds in. alas our lowly sport will always get trodden over by the big time charlies and we will always get the rough edge of the stick from local councils. just hope the tables turn on the 21st and the shackles are removed before it is too late for some tracks.

Those "larger sports" you mention are literally being trodden on as they are running at a % capacity they just happen to have a large standard % capacity which comes with overheads and costs which will far exceed speedway, the notion elite level sport has been favored, is hilarious. 

7 minutes ago, The Third Man said:

Very big generalisation, all the group i go to speedway with have bought tickets on line and pay by card, all over 60, i don't pay cash for anything, even know how to use the card only pumps at petrol stations

don't speak for everyone, loads of over 60's use computers and pay by card

what not having the facilities to pay cash does is stop people going on the spur of the moment if their plans change or the weather changes for the good

I would suggest the "no refund" policy is definitely one that is hurting some tracks...

Some I notice are doing full refunds so maybe all should just come out and say that full refunds will be given if the match doesnt take place, rather than "use your ticket for another match"...

Away fans in particular may not be able to get to a restaging and it seems daft (and no doubt worrying), to have tickets available when capacity is so reduced  and not do everything you can to get whatever the maximum is, into the stadium..

Any barriers to getting customers to give you their money are never a good thing.. 

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1