British Speedway Forum
Yearbyred

Redcar v Glasgow 13th June

6 minutes ago, Gazc said:

Don’t know what Flint is averaging but Sam is just over a 9 point average from 5 meetings this season

I think he’s averaging about 7.3 ish according to my calculations (what else is there to do on the hottest day of the year)

9 minutes ago, Norfolk Bear said:

The whole guests thing is spoiling the sport , Edinburgh did the same when they were here , I suppose we would as well but guests for anyone apart from no 1 does not sit right Imo

Don’t think guests is the issue, it’s the fact, in this case that the riders are deemed equal due to the rising star status.

Its within the rules, just that it’s one of those occasions where it doesn’t seem to work.

• Like 1

Just now, Yearbyred said:

Don’t think guests is the issue, it’s the fact, in this case that the riders are deemed equal due to the rising star status.

Its within the rules, just that it’s one of those occasions where it doesn’t seem to work.

Doesnt seem to work for Redcar on this occasion but it will on others. I agree that bracketing riders into groups doesnt make them equal but these issues were forseen having occured in the graded reserve system in the 2000's.

Just now, Yearbyred said:

This kind of thing never works . Seems a good idea on paper , but there is always a reserve who improves out of all proportion . I would imagine there will be a few instances this season where a number 7 will be " injured " just before a tough fixture . Smith's injury is a legitimate one as he crashed during the week , but I admit circumstances have fallen favourably for us . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

I think he’s averaging about 7.3 ish according to my calculations (what else is there to do on the hottest day of the year)

I had him down for 4 rides at Kent just checked he had 7 my bad.

4 minutes ago, Gazc said:

I had him down for 4 rides at Kent just checked he had 7 my bad.

That was Flints average I calculated.

Poor Sam will only be in the 8’s now...

You would hope that once rising stars gain averages then guest replacements work off averages not the grading system, up until that point I think the rules should have been only 1* riders are able to replace an absent rising star.

However that is not the case and any team would look to get the best replacement they could  , so Redcar have just drawn a short straw today. Makes a difficult task - extra tough

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

That was Flints average I calculated.

Poor Sam will only be in the 8’s now...

Riding well but you could see the potential back in 2019 he was pretty raw and tried manoeuvres at the wrong time.

He just had something about him that you knew he was going to be a good rider given time. 

Edited by Gazc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MD said:

You can't get r/r for a reserve so they have no choice. Remains to be seen what Leon will do but 3 or 4 race wins would be fine.

use yr no 8!!

6 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Just one of those occasions

Don’t really agree with the rising star system in general. If you’re good enough you will get a spot anyway. 

some of the star ratings are also questionable and the guest ruling atm for them is there to be abused. Hume and flint who Glasgow have used the last 2 meetings are head and shoulders above jack smith and of course are going to score way more than he would. 
We benefited the exact same way the other week using palin for lawlor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Blobby said:

Don’t really agree with the rising star system in general. If you’re good enough you will get a spot anyway. 

some of the star ratings are also questionable and the guest ruling atm for them is there to be abused. Hume and flint who Glasgow have used the last 2 meetings are head and shoulders above jack smith and of course are going to score way more than he would. 
We benefited the exact same way the other week using palin for lawlor. 

It's almost as if it's all a bit contrived and ill thought out.....

Meaning it is open to manipulation and abuse.. 

So it ticks all the boxes of the operating model then.....:D

1 hour ago, ch958 said:

use yr no 8!!

No team has or needs a permanently listed No8 in their declaration. They can cover within the rules.

Edited by MD

Suppose if your never behind in a meeting heat 15 is not the best time to fall behind, well done to the Bears sounded like a good meeting for those in attendance.

Edited by Gazc