British Speedway Forum
Yearbyred

Redcar v Glasgow 13th June

Wow !!! If you like classic speedway, then this treat served up this afternoon by two excellent teams was all you could ever have asked for.

Nip and tuck all the way culminating in a marvellous climax in heat 15 Bears pinching it at the death.

Charles and Jake putting in superb performances, backed up by Tofty getting somewhere near his best.

The top two teams in the league were on show this afternoon. And they came up trumps. Privilege to watch them today.

• Like 3

over the two legs glasgow showed they are the better team but need to get connor back in as he will score a lot better than smith 

1 hour ago, MD said:

No team has or needs a permanently listed No8 in their declaration. They can cover within the rules.

yes I'm aware, I'm just opining as to how i feel it should be. 

Well didn’t see that coming before Heat 14 but credit to Anders, James, Jake and Charles for riding their backsides off in the last 2 heats to give the Bears an unexpected victory.

I thought the Bears would all have to ride at their best and everything go their way for them to win today. They were still inconsistent and Sarj’s bike problems in Heat 2 when clear and Jake falling off when in the points meant we dropped a few but they came good when they needed too. 

For the Tigers,Cook and Ullie were the pick. Ricky started very well but faded and we only got glimpses of the reserves talents. Sedgmen was the weak link on a track that he’s ridden a lot and I was very surprised he was in Heat 14.

Some cracking races, Allen was great and Charles Wright is just a joy to watch. Becoming my favourite Teesside/Boro/Redcar rider of all time which tells you a lot about him.

Glasgow are still the strongest team in the league and played their full part in a great match but it was an excellent advert for speedway today at a time when the sport badly needs good things to happen. Great to see so many Tigers fans in attendance, obviously disappointed but added much to the atmosphere.

On a less happy note, sad to read Jitendra’s comments in the programme about becoming disillusioned with the people running the sport and saying he is giving up his role as promoter at the end of the season. Redcar and the sport of speedway can Ill afford to lose people who act in the professional and dignified way that he has run the club since taking over. Other clubs should take note and I hope he reconsiders as he would be a massive loss.

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, KIRKYLANE said:

Well done Redcar. great score from Charles Wright 

he is starting to get back to form he will be better yet with a few more meetings 

What a meeting! Great riding from both teams and loads of overtaking. Bears just done enough over the last two heat to seal the win. Glasgow were definitely stronger with Flint instead of Smith so maybe they were lucky to go home with a point.

2 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Well didn’t see that coming before Heat 14 but credit to Anders, James, Jake and Charles for riding their backsides off in the last 2 heats to give the Bears an unexpected victory.

I thought the Bears would all have to ride at their best and everything go their way for them to win today. They were still inconsistent and Sarj’s bike problems in Heat 2 when clear and Jake falling off when in the points meant we dropped a few but they came good when they needed too. 

For the Tigers,Cook and Ullie were the pick. Ricky started very well but faded and we only got glimpses of the reserves talents. Sedgmen was the weak link on a track that he’s ridden a lot and I was very surprised he was in Heat 14.

Some cracking races, Allen was great and Charles Wright is just a joy to watch. Becoming my favourite Teesside/Boro/Redcar rider of all time which tells you a lot about him.

Glasgow are still the strongest team in the league and played their full part in a great match but it was an excellent advert for speedway today at a time when the sport badly needs good things to happen. Great to see so many Tigers fans in attendance, obviously disappointed but added much to the atmosphere.

On a less happy note, sad to read Jitendra’s comments in the programme about becoming disillusioned with the people running the sport and saying he is giving up his role as promoter at the end of the season. Redcar and the sport of speedway can Ill afford to lose people who act in the professional and dignified way that he has run the club since taking over. Other clubs should take note and I hope he reconsiders as he would be a massive loss.

this type of match should be on eurosport to promote the sport so far the first two meetings i have yet to see all the way through as i fell asleep during both , the sound of bikes does that to me lol but if its good i will stay awake 

42 minutes ago, Paulco said:

Disappointed Tiger heading home , but today is why speedway is the best sport in the world , the best two teams in the league served up a classic on a brilliant track . 

Well said. I enjoyed Fridays meeting and the teams served up some great racing in both matches.

Both excellent adverts for the sport.

5 minutes ago, davie10 said:

this type of match should be on eurosport to promote the sport so far the first two meetings i have yet to see all the way through as i fell asleep during both , the sound of bikes does that to me lol but if its good i will stay awake 

Wouldn’t be amiss for Eurosport to show some Championship matches.

25 minutes ago, davie10 said:

Are you a team manager? :D

1 hour ago, Yearbyred said:

really sorry to hear that

• Sad 2

Great meeting but big mistake by glasgow leaving sedgmen in ht 14, also craig lets himself down when he gets beat he never shakes hands on the way to the pits with the riders who have beaten him.

• Like 1

Firstly I wasn't there but interesting to read the comments and really glad that the meeting was exciting. Yet on updates a number of heats were described as ftg. This shows you don't need loads of passing in every race to have a good match. Two determined teams, fans from both sides, uncertainty and surprises they to me are what makes a good match plus of course some overtaking. Well done to both teams particularly Redcar. Sadly a few glasgow fans are being a wee bit negative on other websites. We were never going to go through the season unbeaten, speedway isn't the same as Scottish football. So if we were going to lose I'm glad it was to a decent team, on a decent track with a decent promoter. 

• Like 3