British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Leicester Lions 4pm 20/06/21

Do you have any idea how to promote? If it wasn’t for these owners there would be no speedway at Newcastle. Maybe it’s about time people stop slagging them off and getting behind them for a change. 

• Like 9

if the senior citizens are being put off by online sales why not open the turnstiles just for them or propose to ARC for that facility ( as surely both jabs have been administered by now so to lessen the risk of exposure) just a suggestion so dont shoot me down :) we need folk through the door not put off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamonds7 said:

if the senior citizens are being put off by online sales why not open the turnstiles just for them or propose to ARC for that facility ( as surely both jabs have been administered by now so to lessen the risk of exposure) just a suggestion so don't shoot me down :) we need folk through the door not put off.

No its a sensible suggestion and you shouldn't get shot down for it but I believe it is the Stadium owners (ARC) who are dictating the strict terms with regard to Covid safety; because it seems (and I could be wrong) the Council appear to give any proposals to do things differently a fair airing and if the council think whatever the promotion are suggesting to do with regard to Covid safety may work then they seem open to supporting them and giving them the opportunity to try the new proposal. ARC on the other hand don't want you using cash however that's a bit hypocritical when they are taking cash for the drink they are selling inside the stadium; however I don't think the Birmingham situation helped either again could be wrong... but we are where we are

As @IronScorpion stated earlier names and addresses taken before entry at Scunny and as @Ringitsneck stated its not beyond the wit of man to put something simple in place to allow for the taking of cash on the day without the need of using pinch points like the turnstile's.

All you need is a table in the car park in front of the turnstiles with a couple of people on it and four more tables spaced apart with a pen on each one; a ticket like a raffle ticket that we all know; about and the size of a 5 pound note; perforated up the middle; one half is an entry ticket to the stadium and the other side a place for the name; address and telephone number of the person using it; Buy ticket at first table; fill in name and address at next table where you will find a pen; then just go join the line at the large gates being used for entry; on entry keep your ticket for the rain off and rip the perforated side off and chuck that into a bucket; then if there is a need to track and trace you have a bucket full of names and addresses; or is that to hard. No congregating; no crowding of people; a flow through that follows the same process we have now (which works well) a ticket for the fan should the meeting be abandoned and a ticket for the promotion to keep with all the contact details on just in case of a Covid problem; and how about this; when the restrictions are lifted if there is still the need to socially distance and track and trace you have a bucket full of names for a free raffle for free entry to the next meeting... little incentive to buy a ticket...

Regards
THJ

Edited by TotallyHonestJohn
Spelling,
  • Like 5

Media side of the promotion is shocking, I have said that before. Press releases are put on Facebook and third parties post the contents here. The website is not used? The website started off promising but is now crap with dead links etc. I would put my life on the line and say the vast majority of the fan base of the club do not use Facebook or read here. The promotion of the club is rubbishe.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Discofever said:

Do you have any idea how to promote? If it wasn’t for these owners there would be no speedway at Newcastle. Maybe it’s about time people stop slagging them off and getting behind them for a change. 

Well, actually, Yes. In my working days I was a manager in the retail industry. I know that when you are struggling to get Joe Public through the door the last thing you cut is the advertising budget. In fact it should be increased, if possible, I'm not saying they should have a full page advert in the Chronicle (but it would help if something was there). If people don't know what is on offer then they aren't going to come through the door. It costs NOTHING to advertise what is coming next in your own publication.  So definitely an opportunity missed. 

As for slagging them off, I don't want it to fold any more than you do. Constructive criticism I'd call it. Showing them where there is room for improvement, if they want to survive.

22 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Media side of the promotion is shocking, I have said that before. Press releases are put on Facebook and third parties post the contents here. The website is not used? The website started off promising but is now crap with dead links etc. I would put my life on the line and say the vast majority of the fan base of the club do not use Facebook or read here. The promotion of the club is rubbishe.

Just out of interest, if the majority of the fan base does not use 'twitface' or this forum, how do you think they could be contacted/reminded that speedway does still exist?

4 minutes ago, leander said:

Well, actually, Yes. In my working days I was a manager in the retail industry. I know that when you are struggling to get Joe Public through the door the last thing you cut is the advertising budget. In fact it should be increased, if possible, I'm not saying they should have a full page advert in the Chronicle (but it would help if something was there). If people don't know what is on offer then they aren't going to come through the door. It costs NOTHING to advertise what is coming next in your own publication.  So definitely an opportunity missed. 

As for slagging them off, I don't want it to fold any more than you do. Constructive criticism I'd call it. Showing them where there is room for improvement, if they want to survive.

Leaflet drop?

Speedway on 1 side, and butchers on the other.

Edited by ruffdiamond

Just now, ruffdiamond said:

Just out of interest, if the majority of the fan base does not use 'twitface' or this forum, how do you think they could be contacted/reminded that speedway does still exist?

Press release, like newspapers and radio like in the old days, ffs life existed before electronics.

2 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Press release, like newspapers and radio like in the old days, ffs life existed before electronics.

Agree, but ad space won't be cheap. 

23 hours ago, iainb said:

Maybe a find for you... But we (Lions) found him a couple of seasons ago, was one of the riders of the season for me, signed him up and then decided to bin him off in favour of Josh Bates!

When did we sign Connor up & bin him off in favour of Josh Bates ?

Connor was never signed to Leicester for 2020 or 2021. Originally it was Ellis Perks but he decided to retire so we got Josh back.

14 minutes ago, Diamondboy said:

Aye and the club got three mentions on Metro Radio leading up to the Leicester meeting and there were ads in the Journal and the Chronicle as well apparently... but as a Radio 2/4 man who stopped buying the local rags 20 year ago I couldn't confirm this...

Regards 

THJ 

9 minutes ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Aye and the club got three mentions on Metro Radio leading up to the Leicester meeting and there were ads in the Journal and the Chronicle as well apparently... but as a Radio 2/4 man who stopped buying the local rags 20 year ago I couldn't confirm this...

Regards 

THJ 

But John, I don't listen to Metro or read newspapers,,, if it's not on the cartoon channel, I'm unlikely to see/hear it,,, unless it's on when 'Vera' is on, or the horse racing.  ;)

• Haha 1

Well done Newcastle , had Leicester down for a definite win!

Thought the crowd  numbers were ok but there again only about my fourth visit to Newcastle in about 40 pus years !

Poor Lions fans traveled all that way for no points and be dazzled by THJ,s shirt! 

Edited by topaz325
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, leander said:

Yes but sometimes the way people word their comments has the opposite effect. Constructive criticism from you maybe, but some others are just dead nasty and just want to see the lad fail. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lenny Lion said:

When did we sign Connor up & bin him off in favour of Josh Bates ?

Connor was never signed to Leicester for 2020 or 2021. Originally it was Ellis Perks but he decided to retire so we got Josh back.

We signed him up on the 3rd of September 2018

http://www.leicesterspeedway.com/news.php?extend.31276.1

“He’s a great prospect, a rider who is going in the right direction and someone we should look to nurture for the future.”

We binned him off by not including him in the 2020 or 2021 teams after a cracking 2018 & 2019.

Connor got fixed up with Newcastle but they binned him off on the 21st of January 2021.

Leicester replaced Perks with Bates on the 11th of Feb 2021 after Somerset's closure, while club asset Mountain was still searching for a club.

Imo he should have been in the 2020 & 2021 teams