British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Leicester Lions 4pm 20/06/21

What a cracking afternoon. 

Sunny weather, decent crowd in, track in good nick, and Covid restrictions didn't affect enjoyment of what was a close and competitive meeting.

I hope we will see more of the same next weekend. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Excellent result for the Diamonds.

Good choice of guest and all riders (apart from JPB) contributing. Team looks weak on paper but they all ride Brough Park well and will make it tough for most teams who go there.

Sad to see Ty a shadow of his former self.

Hopefully this will bolster the chances of the club continuing this season. Last thing we need is to lose another club.

2+1 by Jack Parkinson-Blackburn each week is fine by me. I know one was gifted but did well with his other point and rode well all night. If he can get his gating boots on he can score a couple more points easily.

Proctor was just pulling up at the back each race and strolling over the line. He was shocking and as you say shadow of what he was.

• Like 2

Cracking win for the boys, well done to them all! Our team might not be as good as some other teams but you can never fault their effort.

They are improving each week and a sterling performance from Steve was always going to help.

Hopefully the stay away fans will return now we have proven we can win and will beat some teams at home over the course of the season.

Bjarne being back at brough next week will also hopefully help get a few more back.

• Like 5

Great win for the diamonds, some good close racing, track was very dry which was to be expected great guest plus special mention to Connor Mountain who looks like a very good rider all in all a very entertaining match, anyone who choose to stay away maybe get ya arses back next week eh 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Excellent result for the Diamonds.

Good choice of guest and all riders (apart from JPB) contributing. Team looks weak on paper but they all ride Brough Park well and will make it tough for most teams who go there.

Sad to see Ty a shadow of his former self.

Hopefully this will bolster the chances of the club continuing this season. Last thing we need is to lose another club.

JPB was very impressive actually for his first competitive meeting at Brough for god knows how long, on the pace in his first 2 and then picked up decent points in his others... Looks like he'll be able to get properly stuck in once he gets used to the track... Well done for all 6 of the Diamonds tonight, cracking performance :t:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

What a cracking afternoon. 

Sunny weather, decent crowd in, track in good nick, and Covid restrictions didn't affect enjoyment of what was a close and competitive meeting.

I hope we will see more of the same next weekend. 

The crowd was tiny??? I was very disappointed with the turnout and seeing how many people decided to stay away, there was just as many Leicester fans as Newcastle...

COME BACK PEOPLE!! Or else the club WILL fold... Really good, entertaining meeting and a good win, but it won't last much longer if people don't start coming back... I'd say there was about 350/400 max people there and our capacity is 600 right now... So the restrictions aren't really effecting us anyway... If there was no restrictions we'd be just as screwed

53 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Well that was great!

what a find Connor Mountain looks like turning out to be

I've followed Connor for ages through Junior events I attended, but i've  got to agree I am delighted to see him doing so well in a Diamonds race bib. I went to one training session a few years ago and there was I think 4 Connors so it's been difficult to follow their progress since.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Well that was great!

Absolutely. Ironic he’s a Lions asset. Any chance of a trade swapping him for Proctor? (I know, “Dream on”)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I've followed Connor for ages through Junior events I attended, but i've  got to agree I am delighted to see him doing so well in a Diamonds race bib. I went to one training session a few years ago and there was I think 4 Connors so it's been difficult to follow their progress since.

Connor Mountain, Connor Coles, Connor Dwyer and Connor King?

Only 4 Connors I can think of other than Bailey

17 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Connor Mountain, Connor Coles, Connor Dwyer and Connor King?

Only 4 Connors I can think of other than Bailey

There are 2 or 3 other Connor's. I used to love the name of the rider called Macauley Leek. :D

57 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

The crowd was tiny??? I was very disappointed with the turnout and seeing how many people decided to stay away, there was just as many Leicester fans as Newcastle...

COME BACK PEOPLE!! Or else the club WILL fold... Really good, entertaining meeting and a good win, but it won't last much longer if people don't start coming back... I'd say there was about 350/400 max people there and our capacity is 600 right now... So the restrictions aren't really effecting us anyway... If there was no restrictions we'd be just as screwed

There was more people there than I was expecting given the doom and gloom on here about projected numbers. I've seen worst crowds in the past even without any restrictions. The restrictions are affecting the crowd. There are a lot of fans who can't or won't book on line and they will come back when pay at the door returns. Also some of the fans getting on in years bring there own portable seats to rest their legs as they don't like the pub like atmosphere in the upstairs area. Currently there is no where for them to do this as the steps outside are not wide enough for a chair. (Rob's caravan has pinched their usual spot). The only area wide enough is a "no go" area as far as standing is concerned at the moment. Whether there is enough of them, though, that is the question.

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

JPB was very impressive actually for his first competitive meeting at Brough for god knows how long, on the pace in his first 2 and then picked up decent points in his others... Looks like he'll be able to get properly stuck in once he gets used to the track... Well done for all 6 of the Diamonds tonight, cracking performance :t:

I missed the fact he had got points in his last ride (wasn’t there and only following on updates).  Every other Diamond won a race was the point I meant to make.

1 hour ago, Dandelion said:

The crowd was tiny??? 

I didn't think so: I've seen far fewer in for meetings pre-Covid.

Of course there should be as large a crowd as possible but (perhaps in the light of what has happened in the week just gone) I thought it was reasonable today. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Well that was great!

Maybe a find for you... But we (Lions) found him a couple of seasons ago, was one of the riders of the season for me, signed him up and then decided to bin him off in favour of Josh Bates!

Edited by iainb