British Speedway Forum
StevePark

Newcastle Diamonds vs Leicester Lions 4pm 20/06/21

Would have to re train and try to get volunteer's in for track work & if it ran on Monday which means the later the meeting goes on the later the track staff get home which could be after 11pm.. 

Let's hope that some of the moaners who left after ht 15 of the diamonds match against Edinburgh read the forum & get behind all three teams and the club as a whole 

• Like 1

Might the new start time (which, I entirely understand, has been adopted to accommodate the Gems) be an issue?

It wouldn't bother me what time the meetings start but I have rearranged some Sunday afternoon family stuff. Others may be less willing, or less able, to do that. Some may be at work on a Sunday afternoon. 

I don't know enough about track preparation to comment properly but could the Gems run first with an option of showing up at 6.30 for the Diamonds meeting?

Just a thought...

Edited by Terrace Grumbler
Second thoughts
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Justgotmecpc said:

if some have gone to Redcar & Berwick to watch it ( Newcastle boycotting previous promotion fans ) but surely it is costing them more in fuel prices alone 

If you had been sacked from a job you had done well( some for years and years)  and some if not all of them  doing it for nothing because of their love of Newcastle speedway, would you give £20 of your hard earned money to the person who has sacked you ? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Might the new start time (which, I entirely understand, has been adopted to accommodate the Gems) be an issue?

It wouldn't bother me what time the meetings start but I have rearranged some Sunday afternoon family stuff. Others may be less willing, or less able, to do that. Some may be at work on a Sunday afternoon. 

I don't know enough about track preparation to comment properly but could the Gems run first with an option of showing up at 6.30 for the Diamonds meeting?

Just a thought...

If it's a Double Header the Diamonds HAVE to run first (rules).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KEITH M said:

If you had been sacked from a job you had done well( some for years and years)  and some if not all of them  doing it for nothing because of their love of Newcastle speedway, would you give £20 of your hard earned money to the person who has sacked you ? 

Good point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Just had a very disconcerting phone call and folk need to make the most of this meeting because it could be the last...

Goodbye Newcastle Diamonds we had a good run... and I'm not the guy to run it or take it on because I don't have the temperament to deal with all the baggage that comes with the job... the best man is in there now... by a mile...

However a quick question needs answering though... why after 20 months of no Speedway are fans not supporting the club... every one is aware of the financial constraints the club finds itself in and a very good looking Leicester team are coming to town yet ticket sales are flat lining...

The first meeting against Edinburgh was a near sell out bar 8 tickets... 642 fans through the door and it was a great day with the weather behaving itself the crowd were praised for following all the rules which weren't too onerous to be fair and there were 2 very good meetings and the only thing that spoilt the day was the main result but these things happen...

All you got for 20 months was "can't wait till the Speedway starts" not bothered about the team just want Speedway... so the weather forecast for this Sunday is spot on and due to be another glorious day with a good team in town in Leicester... Newcastle have a good guest in Steve Worrall and a potential team change lined up so what I can't understand is the apathy from the Geordie faithful... what is wrong... 

20 quid too much to get in because it looks like the first action is going to be the cutting loose of the Gems team so that will bring the admission price down to 17 quid... shame but what's the promotion supposed to do... and 20 quid for 30 heats is the cheapest in the league but the Gems will be the first casualty if the situation doesn't pick up...

Team rubbish? Well bit disrespectful to the current septet however the promotion recognise that they are a good few under the points limit and are committed to strengthening when riders become available... BWD was offered a fantastic deal but said he didn't like the Newcastle track and thought it would be a detrimental step in his career progression... personally I think it would be the making of him but he wasn't up for it and the promotion couldn't do no more... when other riders become available there will be changes Rob Grant stands by his team but if they aren't performing Rob knows it's an entertainment business...

If feasible do we try and change the race night...

Is it because ther is free football on the telly...

Is it because people don't like the on line booking system...

Are people worried if there is a rain off they might not get their cash back because I can confirm my U21 meeting monies were back in my bank within 48 hours... so what...

What... what is wrong... and it's an often used analogy but if you don't use it then you will lose it... simples

Anyone with any ideas I would love to hear them as 800 smoggies per meeting at Redcar with full houses 30 miles down the road... that cant be all the George English fan club ditching there own club surely...

Sorry but folk need to know what the current situation is...

Sincerely

John...

Might have something to do with the controllavirus thing too?,,, some folk acting very bizarrely nowadays. 

10 minutes ago, StevePark said:

If it's a Double Header the Diamonds HAVE to run first (rules).

And even if the rules are detrimental to some clubs, and ultimately also therefore to the sport, then we must ensure we follow them... 

British Speedway.... :unsure:

Well, unfortunately I am not surprised (only that it's happened so quick).. I said when they decided to part ways with Vissing that the casual Newcastle supporter won't turn up to watch an uncompetitive team every week. No disrespect to the current team but we are far to much under strength.

The first meeting of the season may have satisfied the stadium people and the council with regard to the social distancing, but I know (me included) a lot of people weren't happy with the arrangements. Not because they had to socially distance, but because they had to do THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE. By insisting that people stood in blocks of six meant that single, or couples were forced to stand next to people that they didn't know resulting in them mixing with people outside their social group. Yes people were supposed to wear masks, but I know of at least one diehard fan who said he won't be back as he was told to stand next to two couples he didn't know. One couple spent the entire meeting drinking (though not disorderly) resulting in them NOT wearing a face covering for the entire time.

The online booking system is poorly advertised. The website is awful for anyone wanting to know about meetings and booking details. The first menu item on the website is "Ticket Office". "You can buy tickets on our website for our upcoming races".   No you bloody well can't!!! You click on the link and it takes you to a page which lists some dubious meeting on the 27th October 2021. There is a tiny (only just recently added) link just below the header for trybooking.uk, but nothing to say what it's for. It's no surprise to me that people aren't booking on line. Surely this can't be to difficult to sort out.

Why not open an "in person" ticket office for, say, two hours at the track on a Sunday morning so the people who are not internet savvy can buy tickets in advance for meetings scheduled over the following few weeks.

Some people seem quite happy that Rob got rid of the "George English Brigade", but in doing so he removed volunteers who had probably 20+ years experience in what's required to help make Newcastle a success.

I hope Rob and co can turn it around but I fear the latest four week extension to covid restrictions isn't going to help matters.

• Like 1

It is  also Fathers Day on Sunday so that  might not help but I do not know what the solution would be.I suppose Rob has not had the season ticket money and that would of been a big disadvantage from the start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TotallyHonestJohn said:

Just had a very disconcerting phone call and folk need to make the most of this meeting because it could be the last...

Goodbye Newcastle Diamonds we had a good run... and I'm not the guy to run it or take it on because I don't have the temperament to deal with all the baggage that comes with the job... the best man is in there now... by a mile...

However a quick question needs answering though... why after 20 months of no Speedway are fans not supporting the club... every one is aware of the financial constraints the club finds itself in and a very good looking Leicester team are coming to town yet ticket sales are flat lining...

The first meeting against Edinburgh was a near sell out bar 8 tickets... 642 fans through the door and it was a great day with the weather behaving itself the crowd were praised for following all the rules which weren't too onerous to be fair and there were 2 very good meetings and the only thing that spoilt the day was the main result but these things happen...

All you got for 20 months was "can't wait till the Speedway starts" not bothered about the team just want Speedway... so the weather forecast for this Sunday is spot on and due to be another glorious day with a good team in town in Leicester... Newcastle have a good guest in Steve Worrall and a potential team change lined up so what I can't understand is the apathy from the Geordie faithful... what is wrong... 

20 quid too much to get in because it looks like the first action is going to be the cutting loose of the Gems team so that will bring the admission price down to 17 quid... shame but what's the promotion supposed to do... and 20 quid for 30 heats is the cheapest in the league but the Gems will be the first casualty if the situation doesn't pick up...

Team rubbish? Well bit disrespectful to the current septet however the promotion recognise that they are a good few under the points limit and are committed to strengthening when riders become available... BWD was offered a fantastic deal but said he didn't like the Newcastle track and thought it would be a detrimental step in his career progression... personally I think it would be the making of him but he wasn't up for it and the promotion couldn't do no more... when other riders become available there will be changes Rob Grant stands by his team but if they aren't performing Rob knows it's an entertainment business...

If feasible do we try and change the race night...

Is it because ther is free football on the telly...

Is it because people don't like the on line booking system...

Are people worried if there is a rain off they might not get their cash back because I can confirm my U21 meeting monies were back in my bank within 48 hours... so what...

What... what is wrong... and it's an often used analogy but if you don't use it then you will lose it... simples

Anyone with any ideas I would love to hear them as 800 smoggies per meeting at Redcar with full houses 30 miles down the road... that cant be all the George English fan club ditching there own club surely...

Sorry but folk need to know what the current situation is...

Sincerely

John...

I have made serious consideration of coming to Newcastle for the matches on Sunday but I am very reluctant to buy my tickets because I simply do not know if they will run the meeting . Will Rob cancel the meeting at short notice & will I get my money back if they withdraw from the league  I fear I won’t get it back & speaking to a-lot of other fans who usually follow Leicester away they are also in two minds about buying their tickets for fear of losing their money.

1 hour ago, Justgotmecpc said:

I remember some teams in the past a lot weaker than our current team & it's not robs fault with both Ben & Adam now on the injured list even tho we have a cracking guest in for Sunday.. 

First off are you on the drink? Its hard to tell with you being so illiterate... if so go to sleep we are trying to have a sensible conversation on here and you and sensible are two words that don't go together...

Second off I had an agency call me today for a reference for you...

Told them you were smart intelligent dashing and handsome and the woman said I'm just looking for an HGV driver not someone to marry... so good luck on the job front...

Finally you have just text me aswell and no "on ice" "gone" unless there is someone out there who wants to take it on

53 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Dogs run on Tues, Wed & Thurs nights + Fri and Sat afternoons.  That leaves Monday and the only way we can do that is move up to the Premiership League (or whatever it's called).

If Rob got 800 to a 1000 fans saying Monday he would give it a go in the current environment Steve or moving could be back on the cards because ARC are being total pains.. 

21 minutes ago, Terrace Grumbler said:

Good point TG never thought of that...

10 minutes ago, ruffdiamond said:

Might have something to do with the controllavirus thing too?,,, some folk acting very bizarrely nowadays. 

Didn't stop near 650 of them last Sunday...

3 minutes ago, leander said:

I hope Rob and co can turn it around but I fear the latest four week extension to covid restrictions isn't going to help matters.

Do you really... some valid points but I have my doubts...

6 minutes ago, soupy said:

It is  also Fathers Day on Sunday so that  might not help but I do not know what the solution would be.I suppose Rob has not had the season ticket money and that would of been a big disadvantage from the start.

Spot on and good point bit the kids could always come with the dad for a day out...

2 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

I have made serious consideration of coming to Newcastle for the matches on Sunday but I am very reluctant to buy my tickets because I simply do not know if they will run the meeting . Will Rob cancel the meeting at short notice & will I get my money back if they withdraw from the league  I fear I won’t get it back & speaking to a-lot of other fans who usually follow Leicester away they are also in two minds about buying their tickets for fear of losing their money.

This meeting is definitely running and if it got rained off you get your cash back straight away... the booking company are independent and don't release the money until the meeting has been completed so it's as good as being in the bank...

Regards 

THJ 

8 minutes ago, Lenny Lion said:

I’m pretty sure Rob would refund any monies due if postponement happens.

7 minutes ago, Fromafar said:

I’m pretty sure Rob would refund any monies due if postponement happens.

He doesn't get the money off trybooking until the meeting has been completed and confirmed as done... if it doesn't run they refund the money back the club don't get anywhere near it otherwise...

Regards

THJ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1