British Speedway Forum

12 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Makes perfect sense. Goldsbrough is local and probably won’t get a ride and is highly unlikely to qualify so no problem, or do you expect a rider to travel just to stand in the pits and not get a penny towards his travel and running costs ?

Lyden also rode at Mildenhall so how is he more deserving ?

Of course it makes perfect sense the reserves are always largely local riders prepared to turn up and take the chance to get a few laps if they can and certainly no personal issue with Alex although id argue that jack should be first reserve and Alex 2nd as he has already had a chance but that really is splitting hairs over an U21's meeting. 

Lyden to be fair took his turn at reserve, didn't get a full program of rides and still scored similar to a few others.  

20 minutes ago, Ringitsneck said:

Makes perfect sense. Goldsbrough is local and probably won’t get a ride and is highly unlikely to qualify so no problem, or do you expect a rider to travel just to stand in the pits and not get a penny towards his travel and running costs ?

Lyden also rode at Mildenhall so how is he more deserving ?

Reserves can't qualify.

8 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Of course it makes perfect sense the reserves are always largely local riders prepared to turn up and take the chance to get a few laps if they can and certainly no personal issue with Alex although id argue that jack should be first reserve and Alex 2nd as he has already had a chance but that really is splitting hairs over an U21's meeting. 

Lyden to be fair took his turn at reserve, didn't get a full program of rides and still scored similar to a few others.  

Goldsbrough was the original reserve at Mildenhall, so your original post was splitting hairs.

As for ‘ reserves can’t qualify ‘ .what is the sense in that if it is an actual rule ? As long as he rides no more than the others his points should count towards his position in the field.

Have to agree reserves have every right to qualify possibly more so. If Alex, Lyden or any other reserve scores enough points to qualify they should be through and applauded for doing so. 

So if X rider falls in their first ride and Goldsbrough takes the remaining 4 rides, and wins them all who is going to break the news that he isn't allowed to qualify

9 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Have to agree reserves have every right to qualify possibly more so. If Alex, Lyden or any other reserve scores enough points to qualify they should be through and applauded for doing so. 

So if X rider falls in their first ride and Goldsbrough takes the remaining 4 rides, and wins them all who is going to break the news that he isn't allowed to qualify

He should know the rules before the start of the meeting.

10 minutes ago, StevePark said:

He should know the rules before the start of the meeting.

Well i shall go on record as saying thats barmy. So at what stage does a rider graduate from reserve to in the meeting? Original line up listed but two days before rider pulls out does the reserve get the chance to qualify? On the day rider fails to show so rider gets promoted into the meeting but still no chance to qualify?

I think there will be a few meetings ahead with no reserves if there is no incentive at all to turn up.

34 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Well i shall go on record as saying thats barmy. So at what stage does a rider graduate from reserve to in the meeting? Original line up listed but two days before rider pulls out does the reserve get the chance to qualify? On the day rider fails to show so rider gets promoted into the meeting but still no chance to qualify?

I think there will be a few meetings ahead with no reserves if there is no incentive at all to turn up.

i believe once the meeting starts reserves are no longer able to qualify, it's only if they get in the meeting to take scheduled rides can they qualify

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StevePark said:

Reserves can't qualify.

21 minutes ago, stevehone said:

i believe once the meeting starts reserves are no longer able to qualify, it's only if they get in the meeting to take scheduled rides can they qualify

15.4.3 states that a reserve can qualify based on any points scored in the meeting. 

Edited by NeilWatson
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NeilWatson said:

15.4.3 states that a reserve can qualify based on any points scored in the meeting. 

Thanks for putting me right.

Gutted I can’t get there tonight but work/family etc dictate otherwise. 2 adults missing this due to the above reasons, got to be thankful this meeting is going ahead but this is Redcar’s 4th home meeting on three different days this season.  Don’t know whether I’m moaning because I can’t go, or should be thankful that we can race pretty much any day we like. Only thing is by jumping to different days is that it is hard to plan ahead. Good luck to all tonight. 

Not a bad meeting, the gulf in class between  the top lads and the others meant quite a lot of strung out races.

Gilkes a deserved winner, very impressive. Bickley put all his laps around Redcar to good use and Jason Edwards and the Thompson’s impressed.

Mentions for Archie Freeman and Ben Trigger who showed real tenacity and gave it a good go.

Edited by Yearbyred
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yearbyred said:

Not a bad meeting, the gulf in class between  the top lads and the others meant quite a lot of strung out races.

Gilkes a deserved winner, very impressive. Bickley our all his laps around Redcar to good use and Jason Edwards and the Thompson’s impressed.

Mentions for Archie Freeman and Ben Trigger who showed real tenacity and gave it a good go.

Agree with that - top eight or nine a class above. Thought Freeman and Trigger rode well and bodes well for them in the future. Thought Spencer did well too, first time I have seen him ride and was always in the mix. 

Decent meeting. 

Hard to tell as everyone was so spread out - i'd guess at maybe 200-250. 

Good showing from a few of the outside chances of Trigger & Freeman plus Simpson would have been closer but not for a last corner fall. Quality showed though and expected qualifiers went through bar the withdrawn Lawlor but Spencer next in the pecking order. Would have been nice to have a little drama with a run off at the end (or would it have been countback?) either way im sure Freeman will learn from the situation and a lot of young riders getting good experience at this level which bodes well for future years.