British Speedway Forum
Skidder1

Poole Pirates v Kent Kings Wednesday 30th June 2021

20 minutes ago, East End Fan said:

I agree with sharpen rake. Unless fans pay to watch the sport dies. I am certainly watching this match on my computer if it all works and I have

been happy to pay for the service. Technik is one of an army of people who allege that they support Speedway, but want it all for nothing. The Updates

thing is something I have never agreed with.

Technik doesn't want it all for nothing and has never claimed to. The point raised was that the streams are in their infancy and some of the reliability issues are yet to be smoothed out which may cause some people to consider if its worth the gamble or not? Would anyone attend the cinema to watch a film if there was a chance that it might freeze for 10 minutes, have a section with iffy sound and then cut off the ending? Obviously the streams are not that bad but there is still the possibility. 

Clubs won't be able to continue with the streams once normal attendance figures are allowed and indeed they would then be creating competition to their own product. Enjoy them whilst they are around and show your support to the updates once you return to using them. 

• Like 2

Poole Speedway have always (usually) done a heat by heat twitter update, whether the meeting is streamed/videoed or televised.

• Like 4

I have to put my cards on the table at this point.

I only ever attend live fixtures.

I have never used the updates site. But I have seen it when standing with others at a meeting & believe it has value to those who want to keep updated. When I am at a speedway meeting I don't have a programme I choose only to watch the racing unfold & only after a race will I worry which riders are in it.

The Stream is also a valuable asset but again one that I doubt I will use as it is my belief that speedway should be watched live.

So no I am not in an Army of supporters that want it all for free nor am I a keyboard commando that spouts off at any given chance with out attending a meeting.

I go to speedway all over the world & if given a quid for each time I heard the phrase "I used to go to speedway" a rich man I'd be.

See you all at Poole tonight.  

• Like 1

Rory Schlein's family use the Updates site regularly to check on his scores from Australia,

I'm sure Zane and Ben's will too. There's also Stefan's dad in Denmark. Steve's mum is also a regular visitor on the site. It's a valuable asset for not just supporters, riders families too.

• Like 6

Watching the stream. Sounds like Rosco as a co-commentator.

Looks like a decent enough production. Would possibly be better with a pit of a pit view from time to time.

Edited by Grachan

9 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

Technik doesn't want it all for nothing and has never claimed to. The point raised was that the streams are in their infancy and some of the reliability issues are yet to be smoothed out which may cause some people to consider if its worth the gamble or not? Would anyone attend the cinema to watch a film if there was a chance that it might freeze for 10 minutes, have a section with iffy sound and then cut off the ending? Obviously the streams are not that bad but there is still the possibility. 

Clubs won't be able to continue with the streams once normal attendance figures are allowed and indeed they would then be creating competition to their own product. Enjoy them whilst they are around and show your support to the updates once you return to using them. 

Clubs can continue post restrictions with streams. It can be geoblocked for eg 50 miles and it can also be done in-house

• Thanks 1

Coverage was decent. Not much of a match though. Kent not really at the races despite Nicholls and Starke providing the highlights in terms of passing.

Good job Nicholls turned up otherwise it would have been embarrassing.

Thank goodness for Scott Nicholls. He made his passes on King and Worrall look so effortless. Vintage stuff from him. Brilliant to watch. Beyond him, only Paul Starke offered any kind of resistance.

Really pleased for Danyon Hume. No other League racing for him. Looks very quick and fully deserved his rider of the night from Wessex Marine.

You can only beat whats in front of you, but I cant say it was particularly exciting.

• Like 1

As predicted a complete walk in the park for Pirates. Thank you Scotty for putting up much needed resistance. Rider of the night IMO with some excellent racing. But the rest of them should have just stayed at home. One man v Poole. And seriously. Paul Hurry? Paul has been a very good servant for British speedway over the years, being a solid second string rider. But watching a tubby middle aged man miss the gate every time and struggle at the back was not good to see. Better he gives his place up to a rising star rider who is desperate for a team spot. His time has gone.

• Like 3

I said after reading last week's Star that Len wants an upgraded NDL to escape back to in 2022 and more convinced after tonight. 

Scott rolled back the years on a bumpy track he's no great fan of. Starke gave 100% as always the rest were well below par. 

Can't see Kent in CL without Scott and I'm sure he could still name his price in 2022 for any CL team he can fit his TV work around. 

Poole look sure to be in play offs provided they finish the season. 

Decent streaming 

14 minutes ago, Steve Shovlar said:

As predicted a complete walk in the park for Pirates. Thank you Scotty for putting up much needed resistance. Rider of the night IMO with some excellent racing. But the rest of them should have just stayed at home. One man v Poole. And seriously. Paul Hurry? Paul has been a very good servant for British speedway over the years, being a solid second string rider. But watching a tubby middle aged man miss the gate every time and struggle at the back was not good to see. Better he gives his place up to a rising star rider who is desperate for a team spot. His time has gone.

Agreed. Paul has suffered some terrible injuries and I think only about 3 times in his career has not finished the season on the injuries list.

There comes a time when age and injuries tell your body it’s time to gracefully leave the stage. 

• Like 1