British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
crazysue

Mildenhall v Eastbourne 20/6

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the Updates site? If so, could you please send me a private message which includes your mobile number.

Thanks

Mildenhall call off notice refers to decision being made to save unnecessary journeys. It came far too late for that.

5 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

Mildenhall call off notice refers to decision being made to save unnecessary journeys. It came far too late for that.

The forecast was for us to miss the rain but it changed and we received it. Meeting was called off at 11am. 4 hours before the meeting started. Struggling to see what else the club could have done. i've seen Danno was already there which seems incredibly early to arrive for a meeting. When i used to work the back gate signing riders in we didn't let anyone in until gone 12pm for a 3pm start with many riders never turning up until around 2 hours before a meeting earliest normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adz_mft said:

The forecast was for us to miss the rain but it changed and we received it. Meeting was called off at 11am. 4 hours before the meeting started. Struggling to see what else the club could have done. i've seen Danno was already there which seems incredibly early to arrive for a meeting. When i used to work the back gate signing riders in we didn't let anyone in until gone 12pm for a 3pm start with many riders never turning up until around 2 hours before a meeting earliest normally.

Danno lives on the Isle of Wight and at busy times, it is not always easy to pick the ferry that you want especially for late bookings. Bear in mind that he was supposed to be at Eastbourne yesterday so would have been staying over on the mainland. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Great Central said:

Danno lives on the Isle of Wight and at busy times, it is not always easy to pick the ferry that you want especially for late bookings. Bear in mind that he was supposed to be at Eastbourne yesterday so would have been staying over on the mainland. 

Oh I'm not doubting that. My point was that he was going to be there early regardless of what time we called the meeting off lol if that is of course who he was referring to

7 hours ago, adz_mft said:

Oh I'm not doubting that. My point was that he was going to be there early regardless of what time we called the meeting off lol if that is of course who he was referring to

If you live on the Sussex coast you need to leave before 11 to ensure you get to Mildenhall in time for a 3pm start 

2 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

If you live on the Sussex coast you need to leave before 11 to ensure you get to Mildenhall in time for a 3pm start 

I think that in calling meetings off clubs are on a hiding to nothing. An early call off and a change in the weather forecast and they get criticised. Call it off late because of the same change and they still get criticised. Don't call it off at all and get an abandoned meeting and there is even more criticism. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Great Central said:

I was in the car park at 11.45am as a number of people turn up around that time, and have a natter before we go our seperate ways inside the stadium.
It was not raining or drizzling all the time I was there, which was about 15-minutes, but I'm told it did start again at 12.30pm.
I made the hour long drive back home, and from that minute to 10.00am this morning, I've not seen another drop.

Having said all that, the sky didn't look clever in that area, and I don't doubt what they say was true, so onwards and upwards, it's another day today.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Richard Weston said:

I can't believe this is even a debate. We can't control what the weather does lol. The forecast was for us to miss it, but we didn't. I live about 20 mins away from the track and I'd had rain on and off all day after the call off. The club called it off as soon as they realised it wasn't going to miss us

Nothing to do with the state of the track from the previous nights stock cars ?

Club photos taken at 11am show a wet track but no safety fence erected for the speedway possibly suggesting it was a combination of the two, the state of track and the possibility of more rain.

13 hours ago, adz_mft said:

I can't believe this is even a debate. We can't control what the weather does lol. The forecast was for us to miss it, but we didn't. I live about 20 mins away from the track and I'd had rain on and off all day after the call off. The club called it off as soon as they realised it wasn't going to miss us

Therein lies the problem for Mildenhall Speedway.