British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hawks 1975

Farewell Rob Ledwith

Really sorry to see that Rob has decided to quit at Kent. As somebody who remembers him fondly as a kid at Arena where he gave his all in every race, it was amazing to then see him years later return to the sport at Central Park well past his 40th birthday and perform as if he was twenty years younger.

On track he was always worth watching, and off it, I believe he gave a lot to the team. It was a shame that he suddenly lost his Championship place pre-season, but I did wonder how he could possibly make it worthwhile to continue just in the National League, given the crazy situation with the fixtures this year. Having ridden in the Royal's opener on May 31st, his next home meeting was not until the end of July. He was not due to get any regular track action until September. That might be okay for a junior managing a few rides elsewhere, but at 50, with two or three good quality bikes to maintain? 

Good luck Rob in the future, and thanks for the enjoyment you gave us on two wheels - 24 years apart!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, hawks 1975 said:

Really sorry to see that Rob has decided to quit at Kent. As somebody who remembers him fondly as a kid at Arena where he gave his all in every race, it was amazing to then see him years later return to the sport at Central Park well past his 40th birthday and perform as if he was twenty years younger.

On track he was always worth watching, and off it, I believe he gave a lot to the team. It was a shame that he suddenly lost his Championship place pre-season, but I did wonder how he could possibly make it worthwhile to continue just in the National League, given the crazy situation with the fixtures this year. Having ridden in the Royal's opener on May 31st, his next home meeting was not until the end of July. He was not due to get any regular track action until September. That might be okay for a junior managing a few rides elsewhere, but at 50, with two or three good quality bikes to maintain? 

Good luck Rob in the future, and thanks for the enjoyment you gave us on two wheels - 24 years apart!

Sorry to see Rob go but really pleased that Alex Spooner is back wit the Royals..

20 hours ago, AndyO said:

Sorry to see Rob go but really pleased that Alex Spooner is back wit the Royals..

Ditto to that.  I always enjoyed watching Rob as he was all action and quite unpredictable.  Could beat the best in the league sometimes and

a vastly underrated rider. Now Spooner has to stand up and be counted.  A good opportunity for him to shine.

• Like 1

Wish Rob Ledwith all the best for the future ...... think he has a decent job outside of speedway. 

The National league is slowly fizzling out . IOW gone,  Newcastle gone ....... you have to wonder how Mildenhall will keep running with the scarcity of fixtures.   

Sadly, the one league that produces good racing is disappearing quickly.  I fear for speedway full stop at the moment.

Something has got to be done at this level to get clubs like Buxton & IOW back up and running, the sport needs them.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Mimmo said:

Sadly, the one league that produces good racing is disappearing quickly.  I fear for speedway full stop at the moment.

Something has got to be done at this level to get clubs like Buxton & IOW back up and running, the sport needs them.

I suspect those who attend Belle Vue, P'boro, Scunthorpe, Glasgow and Redcar would take issue with that. For me it's about tracks rather than riders and we have too many that produce follow the leader stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bagpuss said:

I suspect those who attend Belle Vue, P'boro, Scunthorpe, Glasgow and Redcar would take issue with that. For me it's about tracks rather than riders and we have too many that produce follow the leader stuff.

Yes, guess you are right.  I just get frustrated to see tracks standing unused when they should be in the league, so I'll take back what I said, although I do prefer NDL racing myself.  

• Like 3