British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fortythirtyeight

SCB Explanation? Lack of consistency

This from Redcar Promoter ( soon to stand down) regarding how the Birmingham cup match appeal has been handled.

Via the Speedway Star, a ‘spokesman’ for SCB has issued a response to my query as to why the recent Redcar V Birmingham KO Cup match was different to the Redcar V Glasgow (01.06.17) and Coventry V Rye House (11.09.15) matches. Both of those matches were abandoned and declared before heat 10, whereas the KO Cup match was not.

I have asked several times via email, why those matches were declared, contrary to the SCB’s own rule book (SCB reg 011.1.23). I was NOT given a reason - I was told that a meeting can only be declared before heat 10 if the result is already ‘mathematically certain’, with no other explanation.

I wouldn’t usually take to social media to do this, but feel I have no other option as I didn’t get the decency of a reply to my question by email - instead I had to read it in the Speedway Star this morning.

Reading the ‘spokesman’s’ response, he states that the 2 matches I have used as an example, were ‘beyond doubt mathematically’! It’s written for us all to read, but is completely untrue.

If you see the photos attached to this post, you will see that NEITHER of those results  were mathematically beyond doubt. The opposition could have won by heat 15 in both examples (if they are using heat 10 for that analysis, then the KO Cup match result was beyond doubt too). 

In fact, the score difference was exactly the same (8 points) at the time of the abandonment in the Redcar V Glasgow match in 2017. Both matches were abandoned after Heat 9 - other than the fact that one was a KO Cup match, there is no difference whatsoever. The rule book does not state that a KO Cup match is treated differently to a league match either! (see attached reg 011.1.23).

In this article, the SCB also state that the KO Cup match at Birmingham was not abandoned due to the condition of the track - the fact that the match was delayed for over an hour due to the remedial track work means that it WAS directly responsible. The match would never have reached curfew otherwise - the SCB have not acknowledged this in their statement.

It’s a shame this explanation wasn’t given to me personally by our governing body when I requested it, but then again, it’s a very weak and untrue explanation. The evidence is attached for all to see. These decisions ARE inconsistent, and our treatment in this situation is disrespectful and unfair.

Precedents were set I’m afraid and this explanation is not fooling me, or Redcar Speedway - we deserve better.

Edited by Fortythirtyeight
  • Like 5

Could it be because a KO Cup match is over 2 legs so therefore needs to be raced evenly over both legs?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Grachan said:

Could it be because a KO Cup match is over 2 legs so therefore needs to be raced evenly over both legs?

So what would have happened if heat 10 was completed?

• Like 1

9 races at Birmingham – Redcar 31 points to Birmingham’s 23

9 races at Redcar – Redcar 33 points to Birmingham’s 21

That even enough to decide the right result? ;)

PS there was already a thread for this in the Redcar 2020 section.

The mathematically certain rule means a team would have to be 31 points up after 9 heats for it to stand. So basically a whitewash!

Welcome to the Quiz Of The Week

Put the following words into a well known phrase or saying..

'Couldn't a brewery up piss in a organise"..

First prize is two 2021 season tickets to a track from the following list..

Somerset, Swindon, Coventry, Rye House, Lakeside, Workington and Buxton..

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, Marshall07 said:

So what would have happened if heat 10 was completed?

Given that a Brummies rider had been excluded for causing the crash that injured Jordan, then the best (realistically) the Brummies  could have achieved was a 3-3 meaning the lead would have been still a minimum of 8 points. 

Would the result have been awarded then or are they trying to say because it’s a two legged fixture you can’t award? 

Maybe another fag packet is required to right the rules for the KOC on the back of.

Edited by Yearbyred

given that everyone's losing money every fixture, would've thought one fewer wd save them money!

• Like 3

I think the worry now is....will B'ham be up and running to take part in a re-schedule?

22 minutes ago, GiveusaB said:

I think the worry now is....will B'ham be up and running to take part in a re-schedule?

and do Brum want it to be replayed? I know its not fan friendly to admit defeat but might make some financial sense to let it go and focus on the league campaign?

2 hours ago, Yearbyred said:

Given that a Brummies rider had been excluded for causing the crash that injured Jordan, then the best (realistically) the Brummies  could have achieved was a 3-3 meaning the lead would have been still a minimum of 8 points. 

Would the result have been awarded then or are they trying to say because it’s a two legged fixture you can’t award? 

Maybe another fag packet is required to right the rules for the KOC on the back of.

Speedway Rule Book

• Like 1

I'm really looking forward to the day Redcar get a ruling in their favour. I fear that day wont ever come with the clowns that govern speedway. 

Until a representative of Redcar get on the management team , that is not going to happen.

The SCB ‘ representative ‘ who originally declared the 2017 Redcar v Glasgow match had to be rerun, then announced 3 days later that the match was awarded to Glasgow ( in the press , not to Redcar ) later admitted in person that he was “ told to make that decision by a senior member of the  BSPA “ . Money talks, top table influence has gone on for years.

The SCB include the current chairman of the BSP L on the board, how is that an independent body ???

Totally understand Duffill’s frustration , the same as his predecessor, little Redcar not on the top table, no cash to wave around.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Sings4Speedway said:

and do Brum want it to be replayed? I know its not fan friendly to admit defeat but might make some financial sense to let it go and focus on the league campaign?

I doubt whether any 'Brummies' fan would deny Redcar the victory!

Just want to get back on track (no pun intended...) missing my 'fill' !

• Like 2